Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

Just a quick question, does anyone remember any school(s) they applied to that offered fee waivers for low income students off the top of their head?

Georgia Tech's pre-application is free, and that's all I turned in before getting my acceptance from them (submitted beginning of December)

NC State is free to apply for domestic students/

When is the UIUC visiting weekend ?

They told me that March 1-3 was a good time to come, because that's the 'official' weekend and a lot of other people will go or something. I'll have to check again.

this_isnot_here,

I was accepted to UCLA on 1/5 (inorganic).

I was in contact with a PI early on, and when I submitted my application he replied saying that he would tell the admissions committee to review my application "expeditiously."

Good luck!

That's super-early dude, great job! On the app. status page, they say that most decisions aren't finalized till March (!).

Edited by this_isnot_here

That's super-early dude, great job! On the app. status page, they say that most decisions aren't finalized till March (!).

I agree. Good job, UCLA is one of my favorite schools... hopefully the rest of us will hear back before March! Is it true that they're having visitation weekend next week?

Edited by nechalo

I agree. Good job, UCLA is one of my favorite schools... hopefully the rest of us will hear back before March! Is it true that they're having visitation weekend next week?

may I ask why you want to go to UCLA, and which professor you are looking to work for?

23K from Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

27K from UCSD

Obviously, tuition is covered as well (but that goes without saying)

I think both are TA-ships of some kind? I'd imagine I have to run some discussions and grade papers, yeah.

Thx. Did you also apply organic chemistry in UCSD (as Chronos) and do you mind posting your stat here?

Thx. Did you also apply organic chemistry in UCSD (as Chronos) and do you mind posting your stat here?

NP. I applied as materials/physical/inorganic (i guess it's interdisciplinary, but let's say materials for the sake of simplicity). UCSD put me on the inorganic track, and UIUC put me on materials, I'm guessing.

GPA: 3.6/4, 3.7 in Chem

GRE: 166V / 168Q / 4.5 AW

Chem: 770, (68%)

twb, when did you hear back from Stanford? Via email, phone call or postal service?

phone call, but they said they'd be mailing acceptances out soon. good luck!

Anyone have any idea when we'll hear from Princeton or Harvard?

Edited by twb

phone call, but they said they'd be mailing acceptances out soon. good luck!

Anyone have any idea when we'll hear from Princeton or Harvard?

Do you have any idea of whether there will be a mass acceptance soon? Or they are only sending notifications through mail? And congratulations on the acceptance!

Do you have any idea of whether there will be a mass acceptance soon? Or they are only sending notifications through mail? And congratulations on the acceptance!

Thank you! I don't know if they are sending out all acceptances at once or in waves but it sounds like more people will start hearing next week...

NP. I applied as materials/physical/inorganic (i guess it's interdisciplinary, but let's say materials for the sake of simplicity). UCSD put me on the inorganic track, and UIUC put me on materials, I'm guessing.

GPA: 3.6/4, 3.7 in Chem

GRE: 166V / 168Q / 4.5 AW

Chem: 770, (68%)

Congratulate to your UCLA offer! I am curious about your research experience and publication (if any).

Congratulate to your UCLA offer! I am curious about your research experience and publication (if any).

Thanks man. Well, I'll give you the short version of my research:

1 summer at San Diego State University, on silver nanoparticles

2 quarters + 1 summer at UC Irvine(was basically a SURF), on gas clathrates, (propane/difluoromethane was my focus)

No publications.

I saw a Vanderbilt acceptance on the results page. When did you send in your application? I got an e-mail yesterday from the Chemistry graduate secretary to confirm some information. I submitted on the 3rd of January. Have there been any more acceptance?

I got the accepted to Vanderbilt. I sent in my application in late November/early December. The visitation is self scheduled, unlike many of the other schools. It makes me think that they are just accepting students as they go through the applications. Also, I miss-typed my Chem GRE score. It's actually 780 not 710 (not sure if that is helpful or not). I wish you luck with your grad apps.

Last year it looks like Harvard sent out admissions and rejections at the same time: in the last week of January. ( AKA next week >:[ )

Also I"m starting to get nervous from my lack of results :S

Oh, I'd much rather be in your position than in mine. I am dying to hear back from Columbia!