Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

I feel kind of left out :( Do you think it's bad that I have only heard from two grad schools?? I mean, both were acceptances, but still!

I've only heard from 3, (I only applied to 7 and 1 of them was a joke application anyway haha). I'm just happy I got in at all, now I can sleep again.

Chronos &/or quimico, how did you hear from Chicago? I saw on the results page that a lot of people got rejected by snail mail. Wasn't sure if the same goes for acceptances.

I heard back relatively early via phone call. A prof called me on Dec. 19, 2011. Blah, I'm super upset though I haven't heard back from my top schools (Austin and Columbia). Is anyone else obsessively checking his/her e-mail?

Gmail - Inbox (1)

"OMG!!!! Oh... wait... Express coupons."

I heard back relatively early via phone call. A prof called me on Dec. 19, 2011. Blah, I'm super upset though I haven't heard back from my top schools (Austin and Columbia). Is anyone else obsessively checking his/her e-mail?

Gmail - Inbox (1)

My life has been reduced to obsessively refreshing my email and the gradcafe results page.

Hehe, I know the feeling checking for new e-mail all too well. I have fortunately heard from one of my favorite schools (Northwestern) with a nice fellowship too so that has helped quite a bit. But I actually felt my research interests fit better at two other schools, neither of which I've heard from and I can't help but wonder why. This is not an easy process for anyone - for schools or us.

Hehe, I know the feeling checking for new e-mail all too well. I have fortunately heard from one of my favorite schools (Northwestern) with a nice fellowship too so that has helped quite a bit. But I actually felt my research interests fit better at two other schools, neither of which I've heard from and I can't help but wonder why. This is not an easy process for anyone - for schools or us.

Was it via the gradstatus page or did they send you an e-mail? They said they got my GRE's, but on the gradstatus page it says "not received", and my app still reads as incomplete. They told me they got the GRE's and put a note in my application, but it has not been updated at all and looks exactly the same.

Gmail - Inbox (1)

I'm seriously considering unsubscribing from the Express mailing list for this very reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessing (and worrying about UT Austin...)

Was it via the gradstatus page or did they send you an e-mail? They said they got my GRE's, but on the gradstatus page it says "not received", and my app still reads as incomplete. They told me they got the GRE's and put a note in my application, but it has not been updated at all and looks exactly the same.

I received an e-mail from a professor I mentioned in my SOP (who was also on the admission committee) and following that, an e-mail from the school. My status page online still hasn't changed though (no "View Decision" anywhere) I had confirmed everything was submitted and complete back in mid-December.

My life has been reduced to obsessively refreshing my email and the gradcafe results page.

SAME HERE. In between class I'm frantically walking around to find wifi and during class i'm furiously refreshing my email and two pages on thegradcafe. (this page and the results page). Plus I frantically call my parents every hour to see if they mailed anything to my home address (which is not where I currently reside)

I seriously feel like I'm gonna get an ulcer from all this stress -_-

Hey guys, joining the party kinda late.

I'm also applying for fall 2012, in analytical chem. (Well, for Emory and UCLA I applied as organic)

I've been accepted to Emory, UGA, TAMU, UT Austin, and Purdue so far.

Still waiting to hear from UMich, UCLA, and UW Madison.

Congrats to everyone that's gotten in to where they want to go, and best of luck to those still waiting! :D

Did anyone else receive an email from Columbia regarding their Optics and Quantum Electronics IGERT fellowship for sustainable energy research? It seems like a general email to all chemistry, physics, and chemical physics applicants from the grad school. I wanted to make sure before I responded that I wasn't interested, being that I am interested in bio and org chem.

I got the same email. In my response (a "No"), I asked if the email was sent to all applicants in those departments or only those under serious consideration. I have not heard back. So who knows...

All I do is obsessively check my email. And it's even worse, because my first acceptance to UGA was sorted into my spam box and I didn't find it until a day or so later. So now, I'm obsessively checking ALL of my mail boxes.

I hate the be "that guy" but can anyone share with me their GRE General scores for those that got into MIT? I'm a bit preoccupied with mine, they're not as good as they should be. But, I've gotten overwhelming response from many of the schools that I have applied to, so I don't think I made it automatically in the reject pile... UGH, I hate grad school admissions!!

I'm also still waiting on UT Austin, but not losing hope just yet. If we're going to hear back it'll be probably be by mid-February at the latest though (that's the timeframe I heard when I e-mailed to ask)

Also, for me: UCLA, UCSD, and UC Davis (for which there have also been some acceptances already)...

Perhaps these places are just scrambling to get together the best fellowships/aid available before admitting us :D

I am also waiting for UCSD.. I just saw someone was just accepted by UCSD yesterday. Is it another wave of admission? I wonder when he/she submit the application and what his/her track is.

I am also waiting for UCSD.. I just saw someone was just accepted by UCSD yesterday. Is it another wave of admission? I wonder when he/she submit the application and what his/her track is.

I submitted my application around the 18th of January and applied for inorganic.

Edited by yesnwp

I submitted my application around the 18th of January and applied for inorganic.

Wow, Congrats! Why did you apply so late, though? I submitted in December and haven't heard back at all...

Is it just me or is everyone getting MASSIVE amounts of emails from Polytechnic in NYC?? And Oklahoma. Those two are blowing up my inbox.

Are you referring to Oklahoma State or U of Oklahoma?

I got caught up with a lot of things and just submitted it right before the deadline. Thank you! Hope that you hear soon!

But the deadline was originally January 11th. It sort of sounds like a last-minute application but it stood out enough to be reviewed and accepted in record time. It's just interesting to me; of course this whole process is pretty mysterious anyway. I'm still waiting for a couple of my top choices (not necessarily UCSD) and alsowondering if there's anything else I could have done to stand out.

But the deadline was originally January 11th. It sort of sounds like a last-minute application but it stood out enough to be reviewed and accepted in record time. It's just interesting to me; of course this whole process is pretty mysterious anyway. I'm still waiting for a couple of my top choices (not necessarily UCSD) and alsowondering if there's anything else I could have done to stand out.

Yeah I had heard the application deadline was extended so I just waited to apply. The process is quite mysterious. I'm still waiting on six schools! UT Austin, UCLA, Berkeley, UW, Northwestern, MIT

Oof. Rejected from Harvard. I sent an e-mail asking about the status of my application and received this response:

"The Admissions Committee has finalized their review process of all submitted applications. An informal notification has already been emailed to those that have been admitted. You will receive a letter from the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences informing you of the Admissions Committee’s decision."

So I guess if you didn't get an e-mail from them, you're SOL.

Oof. Rejected from Harvard. I sent an e-mail asking about the status of my application and received this response:

"The Admissions Committee has finalized their review process of all submitted applications. An informal notification has already been emailed to those that have been admitted. You will receive a letter from the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences informing you of the Admissions Committee’s decision."

So I guess if you didn't get an e-mail from them, you're SOL.

This is painful to read.