Ford Foundation Fellowship 2011-2012

AnnzPB

What are your back up plans A, B, and C for next year?

Plan A: apply for Ford predoctoral again

Plan B: apply for NSF/NIH (one of those, because this will be the last year I am eligible to apply for it

Plan C: apply for the Paul and Daisy Soros fellowship for New Americans

Basically all of these fellowships give me one more year as eligible to apply for.

Great ideas! These fellowships are so competitive, I really wish there were more out there, especially for the Humanities students.

Plan A: apply for Ford predoctoral again

Plan B: apply for NSF/NIH (one of those, because this will be the last year I am eligible to apply for it

Plan C: apply for the Paul and Daisy Soros fellowship for New Americans

Basically all of these fellowships give me one more year as eligible to apply for.

From looking at previous threads, it seems as though they create an alternate list for each discipline. As people from your specific discipline decline the offer, they begin pulling from the alternates list.

Thanks psychedelic. Can we call to see where we are on the alternate list?

Just got my rejection letter. Got the NSF instead though so I'm not too heart broken. Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting, and congratulations to all the winners. :)

I'm curious, what did the subject of the emails say? Is it different for those awarded the fellowship than for those not awarded?

Here's my email (I was selected as an alternate):

Subject: Ford Foundation Fellowships Program 2012 Predoctoral Competition Notification

Ford Foundation Fellowships Program 2012 Predoctoral Competition Notification Letter Attached

Thank you for your participation in this competition

The NRC Fellowships Office Staff

Dear Ford Foundation Fellowship Predoctoral Applicant:

Your application in the 2012 competition of the Ford Foundation Fellowships Program at the predoctoral level has been carefully evaluated, and your name has been placed on a list of alternates whose applications will be considered for an award in the event that an awardee declines a fellowship offer. We expect to make such decisions approximately one month from now. Unless you have previously requested otherwise, your name will appear on the Honorable Mention List, which will be posted on the Fellowships Office web page of the National Academies website once the final award list is confirmed. If we do not contact you again, unfortunately we are unable to offer you a fellowship this year.

Approximately 1300 predoctoral applications were reviewed by panels composed of highly qualified scientists, engineers, and humanities scholars from across the nation. Since only 60 predoctoral awards are available, many deserving candidates could not be selected.

Application materials for the 2013 competition will become available in September 2012. If you are eligible to apply in this program next year, visit the Fellowships Office Web Page: www.national- academies.org/fellowships for information and materials.

On behalf of the Ford Foundation and the National Research Council of the National Academies, I thank you for your participation in this competition and hope that you will successfully find funding for the continuation of your graduate education.

I received word last night that I am an awardee for the dissertation fellowship. Packets for financial aid will go out by April 16th. My email came from NRC no reply as well. Good luck everyone!!