MPH CANADA FALL 2012 APPLICANTS

niche22

Hi everyone!

Thought I'd join the MPH bandwagon here! I'll be attending SFU in the Population Health stream this fall...give me a shout out if you're in the same program and we can get a community started! Looking forward to meeting fellow MPHers! :)

I received my formal offer of admission to SFU today. I got in touch with the FHS and they noticed that for some reason my file hadn't been forwarded to the DGS. I'd advise those who still haven't heard anything to give them a call.

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to update the forum on my applications and final decision. Although I was not accepted into the UBC program, I was accepted into my top choice, LSHTM. I'll be heading over to London to study in the fall. One school's trash is another school's treasure, and that's a-okay with me!

Congratulations to everyone on their successful applications, and best of luck to those still waiting.

Applied: UBC (MPH), LSHTM (MSc Public Health), Imperial College (MPH)

Accepted: LSHTM (MSc Public Health), Imperial College (MPH)

Rejected: UBC (MPH)

Congrats Public Health Student 2012. I'm actually wondering if you might be able to help me out here. I applied late to LSHTM (beginning of May) so I sort of figured I wouldn't get in. I just received an email from them saying the following...

"Dear Applicant, Congratulations on being offered a place at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine! If you do not require a Tier 4 Visa to study at the School, you can ignore this email. You can find information on applying for a Tier 4 Visa here:" and it goes on about how to apply for a visa.

Here's the confusing part...I HAVEN'T received an offer of admission yet!!! I called the office but it was the end of their work day and they had gone. So I've emailed and I'm waiting on pins and needles here...

I'm hoping you can tell me how your offer came (mail or email).

I'm hoping this wasn't some sort of administrative error and that I have in fact gotten in and they just haven't sent me the email yet.

keeping my fingers crossed - I private messaged you with the details.

Hope it helps!

Congrats Public Health Student 2012. I'm actually wondering if you might be able to help me out here. I applied late to LSHTM (beginning of May) so I sort of figured I wouldn't get in. I just received an email from them saying the following...

"Dear Applicant, Congratulations on being offered a place at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine! If you do not require a Tier 4 Visa to study at the School, you can ignore this email. You can find information on applying for a Tier 4 Visa here:" and it goes on about how to apply for a visa.

Here's the confusing part...I HAVEN'T received an offer of admission yet!!! I called the office but it was the end of their work day and they had gone. So I've emailed and I'm waiting on pins and needles here...

I'm hoping you can tell me how your offer came (mail or email).

I'm hoping this wasn't some sort of administrative error and that I have in fact gotten in and they just haven't sent me the email yet.

@Montrealer : Thanks for the information ...well I called the FHS up today...they said that they'll check and let me know whether my application has been forwarded to the DGS ...if I don't get a reply in a day or two ...I'll check back with them again...

I was just wondering ,if you don't mind ,,,can you please tell me the name and contact number of the person you talked to ....as I am really worried as the wait for the DGS confirmation has been like forever now,,,,

@ Ginnie : Thank you so much for the support ....I need it right now =))),,,,

@Dentist24...congrats for getting the visa...I have just applied some 2 weeks back and waiting for the results now....Sending fees soo early??? isnt it too early for that?

Yeah, I called admission office and they said I can deposit fee till 28th Sept. But getting air ticket is a problem here, our currency has depreciated against US dollars, cheap tickets have been sold and premium tickets are available on selected airlines. This is life one can't get every thing easily. I got Visa in 3 days but getting ticket is a uphill task. Hope for best.

Hii Dentist24,

Congrats for obtaining visa and getting ready for your fall studies.

@Manthan, congrats for your acceptance to SFU and pretty much we are going to be in the same MPH stream. Welcome to the SFU crew.

And for those still waiting for their official offers and acceptance, i wish you all the best. Keep your spirits high!

Hi Everyone!

I was accepted to the MPH epidemiology stream at UofT and was wondering if some of my fellow epidemiology classmates can be found here. I'm really excited to start in September. Can't wait to meet you all! :) Does anyone want to meet up at orientation?

Hii Dentist24,

Congrats for obtaining visa and getting ready for your fall studies.

@Manthan, congrats for your acceptance to SFU and pretty much we are going to be in the same MPH stream. Welcome to the SFU crew.

And for those still waiting for their official offers and acceptance, i wish you all the best. Keep your spirits high!

@Bloom 2012 : Thanks...I got accepted in April & have applied for my Visa recently...

Congrats to everyone accepted to SFU...Hoping to see u all in Sept...

Question to the U of T Epi students -

how long was the wait between the "recommended to SGS for admission" email (if you got one) and the SGS requesting your official transcripts/"decision made" on the portal? Are applicants recommended by the division chair usually 'accepted' to SGS without problems? im anxiously waiting for the final news. any thoughts? struggling to be patient :(

thank you so much! congrats to all those accepted!! and good luck to all of those still waiting!

Hey mantwi, I'm going to the MPH program at Queen's this fall. You too?

Hey yes I'm going to Queens in the fall. What is your background (e.g. previous school, work experience, areas of interest)? It's good to finally come across someone I can talk to about the process lol. PS are you going to the meet and greet?

Hi health2012,

Did u mean queens college London?? I thought queen doesn't have proper MPH program what it has is MSc Global Public Health?

Any info appreciated.

Thnx.

Hi, Fingerscrossed80 I was talking about Queen's University in Ontario, Canada. They have an MPH program there :)

Hey yes I'm going to Queens in the fall. What is your background (e.g. previous school, work experience, areas of interest)? It's good to finally come across someone I can talk to about the process lol. PS are you going to the meet and greet?

Hey

I just finished my B.A undergrad in Health Studies and worked a bit as a research assistant. You?

I unfortunately can't make it to the meet and greet, are you going?

Hey

I just finished my B.A undergrad in Health Studies and worked a bit as a research assistant. You?

I unfortunately can't make it to the meet and greet, are you going?

Hey yea I'm going to the meet and greet. I finish my undergrad in medical science (premed) and political science. I'm currently working as an RA as well.

Hi all,

I was accepted to the MPH Epi Stream at U of T. I accepted over a month ago, but it looks like I may not be able to attend...

I applied sort of as a 'test run' and only got into U of T (the best option) after applying to MSc. Epi programs at Ottawa and Queens.

The reason I may be unable to attend is that I will not be finished my current MA in time. And while I could take a leave of absence, I would be giving up my research activities, scholarship, etc.

SO, because I cannot defer, I may reapply next year, and take some intro to epi/ health sciences courses in the interim while i finish the MA.

Am I crazy? I really hope if i can continue to improve my ECs, they would want me again next year, but maybe not...?