MPH CANADA FALL 2012 APPLICANTS

niche22

Hi Carolyn, I was accepted this year to the MPH health promotion program at UofT. My impression is you're not yet competitive - they really stress relevant public health/social justice/social & behavioural health experience as part of their application. Also HP is as competitive as epi, accepting just under 1 in 10 people. You might have enough time to prepare. Make sure that you carefully read up on the program to find out what makes it unique (eg. 2 practica allowing you to experience a research and professional setting, or have double experience in one), obtain excellent letters, and really good experience! Try coordinating research at a public health unit or hospital full-time if you can, or working with a big-name organization. You need to make yourself standout. Apply to OGS, CIHR, and any other big scholarships you can so you can say you applied on your application, which will remind them of your good grades. Also, the November deadline is for PhD, there's no advantage to submitting before Jan. That gives you about 6 months to make your application competitive - good luck:)

Thanks so much for all of the advice! I really appreciate it. I wasn't aware that the November deadline was only for PhD students so that actually takes off quite a bit of stress ! I'm from a small city in northern Ontario so I am really going to try and get in at the Public Health Unit or Hospital (we only have 1 of each lol) once I get home in June (in France right now).

Just 1 question for you mr.p. When you said that I should carefully read up on the program to find out what makes it unique, are you suggesting I do this for my own personal sake so that I am aware, or to refer to the program's uniqueness on my Letter of Intent for example?

Thanks !

Hi Carolyn,

I applied to the epi stream and didn't get in. Here were my stats:

- Overall GPA somewhere around a mid B. not very stellar. My last year was amazing and got an A average (went to mac, also on a 12 point scale and I had a 10.8 I believe). I got an A- in stats (required)

After graduation I worked with a surgeon doing research, then moved on to doing some analtical stuff (non health related) and then spent 2.5 years working in the public health sector on epi projects for a major hospital downtown.

I was a little surprised I didn't get in considering I exceeded the minimium requirements. They say they only look at your last year (both on their website and I confirmed with their grad advisor) but I am thinking they look at all years. The epi stream is extremely competitive with over 300 applicants for 30 spots. Alot of the spots tend to go to students who are waiting to get into/reapply to med school. The health promotion stream might be a bit easier but overall UofT is a hard school to get into.

I am going to Sask in the fall for an MPH and am very excited! I was hesitant at first but after speaking to a few grads from the program I realize it is a great program with lots of opportunity to tailor it to your needs. Hope that helps!

That's awesome, good for you! If you don't mind would you be able to give me some more info about the program at U Sask ? I've read a ton about the MPH programs at U of T, Queens, SFU, U of Alberta, UBC and U of Manitoba but I actually don't know much about U Sask.

What's really important to me is being able to do some form of focus / concentration on Global Health. From what you know, would this be possible with the program at U Sask? Is there a practicum? I'm looking at the website now but not having much look finding answers to my questions.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for all of the advice! I really appreciate it. I wasn't aware that the November deadline was only for PhD students so that actually takes off quite a bit of stress ! I'm from a small city in northern Ontario so I am really going to try and get in at the Public Health Unit or Hospital (we only have 1 of each lol) once I get home in June (in France right now).

Just 1 question for you mr.p. When you said that I should carefully read up on the program to find out what makes it unique, are you suggesting I do this for my own personal sake so that I am aware, or to refer to the program's uniqueness on my Letter of Intent for example?

Thanks !

Salut! You need to make yourself standout, so I am referring to reflecting your understanding in the letter. You should write a very focused, very careful letter citing exact reasons why UofTs HP program is a good fit for you, and they will want to know how well you have looked into the program as that indicates your interest and how much thought you have put into it. Good luck! ;)

Edited by dr.p

@ Spinous and Dentist24: I received a mail from U of Saskatchewan as regards the conditional in my Admission Offer. They asked me to mail a certified Copy of my degree parchment from my Undergrad school confirming that the degree has been awarded and an Official Transcript from my Grad School in a sealed envelope. They didn't explain why I had to do this since I did submit Transcripts from both schools for my Applications. The conditional is not an issue to me though, I only need to send in a request to my schools and they'll mail it to them.

@ Everybody on the Thread, am yet to receieve the Formal Admission Letter from the office of the DGS of Simon Fraser University.

@ Spinous and Dentist24: I received a mail from U of Saskatchewan as regards the conditional in my Admission Offer. They asked me to mail a certified Copy of my degree parchment from my Undergrad school confirming that the degree has been awarded and an Official Transcript from my Grad School in a sealed envelope. They didn't explain why I had to do this since I did submit Transcripts from both schools for my Applications. The conditional is not an issue to me though, I only need to send in a request to my schools and they'll mail it to them.

@ Everybody on the Thread, am yet to receieve the Formal Admission Letter from the office of the DGS of Simon Fraser University.

Still waiting here as well. I spoke with someone who is a professor at SFU (in another department) and they said the DGS has been incredibly slow about getting official acceptances out, so it's not just us.

Will anyone who is accepted to U of Alberta's MPH program please let me know if we are supposed to be enrolling in classes on our own yet? The appointment technically started last week but I haven't received my formal letter of acceptance, and am not quite sure. I'm in Health Policy and Management, btw. Also, is there another forum where other students are chatting???

@ Montrealer & Ginnie : I am waiting for an official letter from the DGS ( Simon Fraser University ) as well. I would like to know what is the probability of actually getting an Official acceptance letter from the DGS once you've been recommended by the department . Is there a possibility of not getting an official letter even though you've been recommended by the department and if so what might be the cause ???,,,,

@ Montrealer & Ginnie : I am waiting for an official letter from the DGS ( Simon Fraser University ) as well. I would like to know what is the probability of actually getting an Official acceptance letter from the DGS once you've been recommended by the department . Is there a possibility of not getting an official letter even though you've been recommended by the department and if so what might be the cause ???,,,,

I would expect it's highly unlikely. The DGS approval is usually just a formality. That said, I'm going to call the FHS today and press them on it. I'll let you guys know if they have any useful information.

Will anyone who is accepted to U of Alberta's MPH program please let me know if we are supposed to be enrolling in classes on our own yet? The appointment technically started last week but I haven't received my formal letter of acceptance, and am not quite sure. I'm in Health Policy and Management, btw. Also, is there another forum where other students are chatting???

I'm doing a similar program as yours, MSc Health Policy, Planning and Financing joint program at the LSHTM and LSE

@ Montrealer: Zee2012 just expressed my fear. Wouldn't want to wait for nothing because I already have a Formal Admission Letter (email copy) from another school though am yet to accept cos they gave no deadline.I want to make an informed decision. Wouldn't want to accept and then later write in declining and asking to be released.SFU is my 1st choice though but with the delay, I really don't know. Also am an international student and will still apply for Visa. The embbassy in my country says their processing time is 3-4 months minimum before school/program classes start date. By this, am already behind.

Thanks Montrealer let's know what information you got after you've placed a call to SFU.

"p1chakraborty, on 17 May 2012 - 08:32 PM, said: Will anyone who is accepted to U of Alberta's MPH program please let me know if we are supposed to be enrolling in classes on our own yet? The appointment technically started last week but I haven't received my formal letter of acceptance, and am not quite sure. I'm in Health Policy and Management, btw. Also, is there another forum where other students are chatting???"

How do you know enrollement into classes begun yet?!? I'm in MPH Health Promo btw

Declined UBC, UofA and will be declining UWO too so spots will be opening up for someone on the waiting list. I am starting a DPhil next year and will spend the rest of this year working.

Good luck with your programmes! This has been a great thread.

Edited by Burkis

Hi everyone! I know there are a few people who applied to the epi program at UWO...Has anyone heard back??? I was interviewed by a faculty member some time ago and haven't heard anything! I am hoping no news is good news.

Yes, but I will be declining my spot.

Hello Burkis, I am curious to know the reason of declining your MPH offers for the DPhil program? They are very different programmes in both subject matters and credential.

I myself declined an MPH for an MSc in Health Policy, Planning and Financing at the LSE and LSHTM, the reason is mainly driven by my interests in both the political arena (specifically policy and healthcare spending) and public health; therefore, the program I chose does a great job of embedding both concepts given that one selects his/her courses appropriately.

Declined UBC, UofA and will be declining UWO too so spots will be opening up for someone on the waiting list. I am starting a DPhil next year and will spend the rest of this year working.

Good luck with your programmes! This has been a great thread.

Congrats to all who have decided their next step in life!

I personally will be doing my MPH by distance with U Sask... it'll be a little lonely doing distance ed but it's the only option that will work with my work life right now. To the U Sask crew, let's get to know each other and keep in touch even though I won't be on campus with you all! Please send me a PM :)

I applied to u of a and i got the unofficial letter in the first week of april - but i still havent got the official acceptance letter - im starting to get worried - i e-mailed shona but she never replied....

Hey,

It took them a week for my letter to arrive in Scarborough, Ontario (mailed out 11th, arrived 17th). I'm sure you will be getting your official letter soon!

"p1chakraborty, on 17 May 2012 - 08:32 PM, said: Will anyone who is accepted to U of Alberta's MPH program please let me know if we are supposed to be enrolling in classes on our own yet? The appointment technically started last week but I haven't received my formal letter of acceptance, and am not quite sure. I'm in Health Policy and Management, btw. Also, is there another forum where other students are chatting???"

How do you know enrollement into classes begun yet?!? I'm in MPH Health Promo btw

When I logged into Bear Tracks, it shows my enrollment appointment as open. But I think we get paired up with a faculty/staff member to advise us? I don't know. I just accepted their offer so I'm waiting for them to get back to me now... whats your status? Are you a resident of Alberta?