SSHRC

psyched

Well, no point in prolonging this any longer-I'm going to go out and celebrate before the event horizon hits. That way, tomorrow I'll either wake up to good news, or I can just return to bed and sleep my sorrow off...

that's a sound plan. Have a pint for me.

I just called sshrch :evil:

They said the results will be sent next week and they will be made available through a secure website to the universities either today or tomorrow. Nothing new.

But I insisted: "Most likely today?". "No, most likely tomorrow".

So, we're not there yet...

I just called sshrch :evil:

They said the results will be sent next week and they will be made available through a secure website to the universities either today or tomorrow. Nothing new.

But I insisted: "Most likely today?". "No, most likely tomorrow".

So, we're not there yet...

ARGH!

Maybe I'm going to take some heat for this, but I must ask: Why do people keep emailing/calling SSHRC (read=pestering SSHRC). You already know results will come out this week. What is calling them going to accomplish, besides annoying the SSHRC staff? This same question applies to anybody who keeps calling their faculty of graduate studies.

Take it from a current graduate student: The last people you want to irritate are your administrative staff... even more than your advisor. Your advisor is probably more forgiving than the admins.

You guys are going to be PhD students. Get used to delaying gratification.

For the sake of maintaining conversation.....

How do you think the Ontario "double cohort" will affect this year's doctoral competition? (FYI, in 2003, Ontario graduated 2 classes of high school students at once, due to eliminating "grade 13/OAC"). Theoretically, had this group completed a two-year master's program prior to applying for their PhD, they will be applying for SSHRC this year.

Perhaps there will be no effect, as I'm not sure that admissions rates for MA studies went up two years ago. Any comments?

Maybe I'm going to take some heat for this, but I must ask: Why do people keep emailing/calling SSHRC (read=pestering SSHRC). You already know results will come out this week. What is calling them going to accomplish, besides annoying the SSHRC staff? This same question applies to anybody who keeps calling their faculty of graduate studies.

Take it from a current graduate student: The last people you want to irritate are your administrative staff... even more than your advisor. Your advisor is probably more forgiving than the admins.

In my case, I'm leaving my current university for my PhD, so it really doesn't matter who I piss off. Not that I'm pissing anyone off. A response to a polite phone call asking whether the results are in isn't too much to ask.

In my case, I'm leaving my current university for my PhD, so it really doesn't matter who I piss off. Not that I'm pissing anyone off. A response to a polite phone call asking whether the results are in isn't too much to ask.

There are reasons to be nice to people that don't involve getting something out of them later.

For the sake of maintaining conversation.....

How do you think the Ontario "double cohort" will affect this year's doctoral competition? (FYI, in 2003, Ontario graduated 2 classes of high school students at once, due to eliminating "grade 13/OAC"). Theoretically, had this group completed a two-year master's program prior to applying for their PhD, they will be applying for SSHRC this year.

Perhaps there will be no effect, as I'm not sure that admissions rates for MA studies went up two years ago. Any comments?

The number of SSHRC doctoral applications at my school increased by about 25% this year. Not sure if that has anything to do with the double cohort or the economy (i.e., choosing to continue grad studies rather than trying to enter the workforce). So the competition was definitely harder at the institutional level but they still selected approximately the same number of A-list applicants to forward on to the national competition. So in terms of numbers it should be about the same; that being said, maybe the quality of the applications is higher???

Except that they're probably receiving many such calls and, cumulatively, they add up. What difference does it make if one knows for sure that they'll arrive today versus on Thursday?

Hm....well in my case, I call the Faculty of Graduate studies about once per week to get an update (more often this week because I know it's the big week). I do so because as soon as they tell me they have the results, I can contact my department secretary to get them (she's notoriously slow in posting things and getting in touch with people). I haven't bothered emailing/calling my department secretary because I know from the higher-ups that the results aren't in.

Again, it doesn't seem like too much to ask. These people get paid to liaise between students and the university. I work an administrative job at a hospital and get the same question 30x per day. It's my job to respond to each query politely and promptly.

There are reasons to be nice to people that don't involve getting something out of them later.

Yes, I know, I was merely responding to the "you don't want to piss off admin staff" mentality. I've been nothing but polite when calling my contacts at the university, and none have ever seemed exasperated in answering my question. I think people understand that we're all flustered at this point, and are happy to respond to questions. That's been my experience, at least.

Thank you, exactly. I had thought appealing to pragmatic concerns might be more effective, but courtesy is just as important.

Thank you, exactly. I had thought appealing to pragmatic concerns might be more effective, but courtesy is just as important.

You can be courteous to someone while asking them a question....I don't see the relationship here.

I think (hope) that the language of 'pestering' and 'harrassing' is exaggerated on the forum for comic effect. All I'm planning on doing is sending one or maybe two e-mails to an admin worker who I know and have a good relationship with. Having worked in a university office, I know exactly how over-worked and harrassed most of these people are, and exactly how easily they can turn a simple hurdle into a nightmare if you piss them off. Which is just to say that I absolutely agree that you should bend over backwards being nice to admins (because they're human beings and because it will make your life easier) but I don't see tons of evidence on this thread of people doing anything out of line.

I think (hope) that the language of 'pestering' and 'harrassing' is exaggerated on the forum for comic effect. All I'm planning on doing is sending one or maybe two e-mails to an admin worker who I know and have a good relationship with. Having worked in a university office, I know exactly how over-worked and harrassed most of these people are, and exactly how easily they can turn a simple hurdle into a nightmare if you piss them off. Which is just to say that I absolutely agree that you should bend over backwards being nice to admins (because they're human beings and because it will make your life easier) but I don't see tons of evidence on this thread of people doing anything out of line.

I agree.

I should also point out that this "pestering" we're all doing is to help one another out. Once so-and-so tells me that he/she has the results from his/her university, I know I can call mine. It's for the greater good, people!

You guys are going to be PhD students. Get used to delaying gratification.

Well, I have been nothing but polite in the three instances that I called sshrc in the past month or so, and they didn't seem to mind my asking about the results. I didn't call the school of graduate studies yet.

That being said, delayed gratification in academia for me has been more of the work-two-months-on-a-paper-feeling-at-times-miserable-and-then-high-at-the-end kind. Not of the kind where you have to decline a preferred admission offer and decide over the next weekend about relocating the week after because of sshrc's one month delay in providing the results.

On the practical reasons for calling sshrc (i.e.: "still, what difference does it make if you call?"): perhaps it doesn't help more than it helps pressing an elevator's button compulsively when you're in a hurry, but it's a coping strategy. Besides, it seems to me that there's only administrative work to be done to post the results (the decisions are obviously made by now), so, my hypothesis is that receiving many calls might determine them to move their asses. Or, if not, they get the message: "YOU'RE FUCKING LATE!!!" (from our polite, educated selves over the phone).

Well, I have been nothing but polite in the three instances that I called sshrc in the past month or so, and they didn't seem to mind my asking about the results. I didn't call the school of graduate studies yet.

That being said, delayed gratification in academia for me has been more of the work-two-months-on-a-paper-feeling-at-times-miserable-and-then-high-at-the-end kind. Not of the kind where you have to decline a preferred admission offer and decide over the next weekend about relocating the week after because of sshrc's one month delay in providing the results.

On the practical reasons for calling sshrc (i.e.: "still, what difference does it make if you call?"): perhaps it doesn't help more than it helps pressing an elevator's button compulsively when you're in a hurry, but it's a coping strategy. Besides, it seems to me that there's only administrative work to be done to post the results (the decisions are obviously made by now), so, my hypothesis is that receiving many calls might determine them to move their asses. Or, if not, they get the message: "YOU'RE FUCKING LATE!!!" (from our polite, educated selves over the phone).

I wish there was a "thumbs up" emoticon

I should also point out that this "pestering" we're all doing is to help one another out. Once so-and-so tells me that he/she has the results from his/her university, I know I can call mine. It's for the greater good, people!

I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if each of us was to phone our DGS and SSHRC and Departmental Secretaries every time we check this forum...surely, there's a greater good at work here where the 'harassment' to the poor dears at our DGS and SSHRC is diffused by our communication here. And, even if there wasn't, the DGS, SSHRC, and your Departmental Secretaries all work, in part FOR YOU. Answering polite questions is part of their job.

And as for the "you're a Phd student, get used to delaying gratification" comment, I would suggest its more along the lines of "you're a Phd Student, get used to sticking up for yourself".