Airing of Grievances

Uhhhmmm, still going crazy trying to cut down my SOP and WS for this one school (500 word SOP and 10 pages max for my sample). Would it look bad if I were to change the font size to 11 pt? ;) I feel juvenile for asking this, but it is so difficult to pare this thing down.

11 looked too small for me so I went with 11.5 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there haven't been any grievances lately, so I thought I'd chime in. No where on Florida's English page does it say a requirement for the SOP, so I have been assuming that it would be around the 3 page/1,000 word limit as most of the other programs. That is, until I go into the application where it says 500 words. Awesome.

Well, there haven't been any grievances lately, so I thought I'd chime in. No where on Florida's English page does it say a requirement for the SOP, so I have been assuming that it would be around the 3 page/1,000 word limit as most of the other programs. That is, until I go into the application where it says 500 words. Awesome.

HAHA, yup, I just had a little freak out over that. But I'm confused--aren't we supposed to mail in our SOP as well?

Never mind, I think I may have just found the answer to my own question...

"If you have submitted your statement of purpose online and also arranged for your letters of recommendation to be submitted electronically, you do not have to submit those materials directly to the Department. We will be able to access them online."

HAHA, yup, I just had a little freak out over that. But I'm confused--aren't we supposed to mail in our SOP as well?

Their website just says to mail in the writing sample. The Eng. dept. website says there is no where on the app to submit the writing sample, so we mail that in, but there is a text box to submit our SOP. What did you read/ what made you think we had to mail in the SOP? (I'm getting paranoid).

No, don't worry Timshel, you've got it right. I was confused because on the English page it says:

"In addition to application forms required by UF, the Department of English requires that the following materials be included in the application packet, and mailed to the Department at the address below:

• A completed MA/PhD Application Cover Sheet
  • Statement of Purpose: A brief essay concerning your past academic or teaching experience and future plans
  • Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic record. Letters of recommendation are to be enclosed in sealed envelopes signed across the flap by the referee and returned to the applicant for submission with the application packet."

But immediately below that, it says "If you have submitted your statement of purpose online and also arranged for your letters of recommendation to be submitted electronically, you do not have to submit those materials directly to the Department. We will be able to access them online."

So, in short, that was a whole bunch of confusing BS that was not necessary to read. We just need to mail in the cover sheet, writing sample, and transcripts.

No, don't worry Timshel, you've got it right. I was confused because on the English page it says:

"In addition to application forms required by UF, the Department of English requires that the following materials be included in the application packet, and mailed to the Department at the address below:

• A completed MA/PhD Application Cover Sheet
  • Statement of Purpose: A brief essay concerning your past academic or teaching experience and future plans
  • Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic record. Letters of recommendation are to be enclosed in sealed envelopes signed across the flap by the referee and returned to the applicant for submission with the application packet."

But immediately below that, it says "If you have submitted your statement of purpose online and also arranged for your letters of recommendation to be submitted electronically, you do not have to submit those materials directly to the Department. We will be able to access them online."

So, in short, that was a whole bunch of confusing BS that was not necessary to read. We just need to mail in the cover sheet, writing sample, and transcripts.

Phew! Their website was super confusing and not helpful. My plan is to be done with that app today. I'm mad I have to have a 500 word SOP, though. I feel like the schools that have the best fit for me have the shortest SOPs, which makes it hard for me to explain why their program is perfect for me.

Also, as far as I could see, there is no where on the app to upload a CV. Do you think it would be a bad idea to mail one in with my writing sample?

Nope, that's my plan as well!

This is an old gripe, re-airing now and probably not for the last time for the next two months:

I know it's my own fault for looking but I'm violently jealous of every single person on the results board who's already getting acceptances, interviews, or even rejections. They're mostly for the sciences, but still...

I'm sure I'll be changing my tune once those killer rejections start rolling in!

So, why can't Florida just say a minimum/maximum page length for the writing sample. Instead, it says "around 15" which is making me wonder if 20 is "around 15" or not. What do you guys think?

This grievance is entirely my own fault, but I am totally freaking out! I somehow failed to notice that Harvard requires a separate application for financial aid, so I missed the deadline (December 31st) and just submitted it now. I called the Graduate School office, and the guy on the phone said that he thought Financial Aid had a softer deadline and that it would all be okay, but that I should call the Admissions hotline to be sure. I will be freaking out and kicking myself until their phone lines open at 2pm.

This grievance is entirely my own fault, but I am totally freaking out! I somehow failed to notice that Harvard requires a separate application for financial aid, so I missed the deadline (December 31st) and just submitted it now. I called the Graduate School office, and the guy on the phone said that he thought Financial Aid had a softer deadline and that it would all be okay, but that I should call the Admissions hotline to be sure. I will be freaking out and kicking myself until their phone lines open at 2pm.

Wait a second. Hold up. Are we required to apply for financial aid at every school we apply to???? I haven't done that...for any schools...

Wait a second. Hold up. Are we required to apply for financial aid at every school we apply to???? I haven't done that...for any schools...

Only some school have different applications, and they usually say it on their website. For example, UMass Amherst requires to apply separately to become a TA.

Oooooooh, okay. This makes me feel a tiny bit better. BUT, now I'm still freaking out that I've missed this at any/all of my schools. Great, one more thing to freak out about.

I'm in the home stretch and I am over thinking every. single. thing. Like, is 20 too far over "around 15." Ugh.

I'm in the home stretch and I am over thinking every. single. thing. Like, is 20 too far over "around 15." Ugh.

I'm not sure how to interpret the UF writing sample page length, either. I could send a 16 pg. paper, but I like my 19 pg. version of the paper better.

I'm not sure how to interpret the UF writing sample page length, either. I could send a 16 pg. paper, but I like my 19 pg. version of the paper better.

That's how I feel. I have a 15 page version, but my 20 page is MUCH better. I wish they would have just said a definitive maximum pages.

Interrupting the conversation here, but I just put my morning on hold to go parsing through the fine print on every last graduate school web page. It looks like I'm safe. I haven't looked at two of the schools, but I feel like, since I haven't seen anything for the rest and I never did initially, I'm probably going to be okay.

Deep breaths.

I just sent UF a fourteen page seminar paper. They were vague, what can you do? But I sent them in a separate SOP that was properly formatted. When I went to the “check application” tab before submitting, the SOP that they let me view had all the indentions removed—obnoxious. I’m just going to call the GD in a week and make sure everything is up to par.

I just sent UF a fourteen page seminar paper. They were vague, what can you do? But I sent them in a separate SOP that was properly formatted. When I went to the “check application” tab before submitting, the SOP that they let me view had all the indentions removed—obnoxious. I’m just going to call the GD in a week and make sure everything is up to par.

I think I am just going to send my 20 page paper because it is better than the 15 page version. And since they didn't give a maximum, I think 5 page is okay. I am also going to mail a CV. I'm not sure about the SOP, though. I mean, everyone's is not formatted correctly, so I'm sure they're used to it.