Airing of Grievances

So, I thought I would start a thread where we could just complain about random stuff that didn't really fit anywhere else.

I'm irritated because I found out last night that Kansas will not let you send out the request for LORs until you submit the application, which is due December 31st, and I fear that if I do not send the request before the end of the semester, my LORs will not remember to send it out by the end of the month.

It doesn't help that they require two writing samples and a different type of SOP, which means I cannot just submit the same things I have been for previous schools. Grrr...Talk about stressful!

That is pretty bad -- my LOR writers and I all were submitting right at the deadline, Good thing I'd been able to send them all the info months ahead of time and either meet with them personally or discuss via email.

YES! Good thread. I am annoyed that I assumed UNC had the same SOP requirement as Northwestern, and discovered yesterday that they actually want twice as much (my fault, not theirs, but still!)

I am REALLY annoyed that application fees are so high, and that I have to do three applications and travel across the country (UK, yes, so it's much smaller!!) to a conference at huge expense, and all before payday! This whole business had better turn into a glittering PhD offer with a sweet stipend. *dream*

That is so annoying about Kansas Timshel! I just assumed that it would be like that for all applications, so I was delighted when suddenly LORs were pouring in well before I'd even uploaded my transcripts. Hurrah for efficiency ... though very annoying when this does NOT turn out to be the case :(

Good luck :D

I agree - this thread is exactly what I need, too!

I have been frustrated with this process at many points... One thing I don't understand is why programs change the application procedures listed on their websites a month or two before the deadline. I made a spreadsheet of all of my deadlines, page requirements/word counts, etc. in October/November and several of them have changed their deadlines and/or requirements. grrrrr is right!

My biggest frustration with the process so far--besides the exorbitant cost and the freaking GRE subject test and all the permutations of SOPs and WSs required--has been with the rest of my life's refusal to take a back seat while I focus only on these apps. It's all I can thinking about so I resent the intrusions of school, work, teaching, family, paying bills, etc etc etc.

I wonder how my brain's going to react in January when the last 6-9 months of work are gone in a poof. I bet my head will feel lopsided when half of it's suddenly empty...

One of my LOR writers keeps going AWOL. If you don't think you can submit it in time, just tell me! :( The uncertainty is killing me.

mine too! I wonder if he's confused about deadlines.

Talking of which, that's my grievance right this minute: the UNC deadlines. :( anyone else working on it?

I wonder how my brain's going to react in January when the last 6-9 months of work are gone in a poof. I bet my head will feel lopsided when half of it's suddenly empty...

I wonder the same exact thing. The past 4-5 months have been a total blur and it's not over yet.

Talking of which, that's my grievance right this minute: the UNC deadlines. :( anyone else working on it?

Yup. I've been working on my writing sample ... and wondering if I will ever read it and not find a number of things that I should've changed for the apps I already submitted. I hope that I don't have any issues uploading and submitting :wacko:

Yup. I've been working on my writing sample ... and wondering if I will ever read it and not find a number of things that I should've changed for the apps I already submitted. I hope that I don't have any issues uploading and submitting :wacko:

I'm working on doubling the SOP I sent to Northwestern!! AARGH. Yes, it's painful to look at the already-sent writing sample isn't it? :( *sigh* It's good but sad at the same time that I get so obsessed with particular programs as I apply to them: right now UNC looks just perfect for me, which makes me all the more annoyed that I'm screwing up this application :( STUPID APPLICATIONS.

I'm irritated because I found out last night that Kansas will not let you send out the request for LORs until you submit the application, which is due December 31st, and I fear that if I do not send the request before the end of the semester, my LORs will not remember to send it out by the end of the month.

I app'd to their hist. dept. (deadline was the 1st) and was angry about the same thing (it basically requires that you submit your app several days before the deadline!) BUT they accept LORs well after the deadline. I found this out because even though I submitted my app, on LOR only submitted his rec's today. So, even if your LORs take off the holidays, you should be OK :D

Now, of course, I have to freak out thanks to this jerk prof, because I know some others schools of mine DON'T accept late LORs, and their deadlines are on Thurs and he hasn't submitted. I've sent him 3 e-mails now, and he hasn't responded to a single one.

I'm mad as hell that my employer decided to tell me today (well my whole department) that we are going under mandatory overtime. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO WORK OVERTIME! 40 hours a week is more than enough to take away from my applications, and then 3 weeks before they are due you have the audacity to tell me that you are making me work extra?!!??! Anddddddd I am working ahead on all of my files, while people that are currently working voluntary overtime are behind on all of their stuff because they are just milking the clock!!!

I app'd to their hist. dept. (deadline was the 1st) and was angry about the same thing (it basically requires that you submit your app several days before the deadline!) BUT they accept LORs well after the deadline. I found this out because even though I submitted my app, on LOR only submitted his rec's today. So, even if your LORs take off the holidays, you should be OK :D

Now, of course, I have to freak out thanks to this jerk prof, because I know some others schools of mine DON'T accept late LORs, and their deadlines are on Thurs and he hasn't submitted. I've sent him 3 e-mails now, and he hasn't responded to a single one.

Actually, the English department specifically states that all materials need to be submitted by December 31st, including the LORs. Boo.

I'm mad as hell that my employer decided to tell me today (well my whole department) that we are going under mandatory overtime. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO WORK OVERTIME! 40 hours a week is more than enough to take away from my applications, and then 3 weeks before they are due you have the audacity to tell me that you are making me work extra?!!??! Anddddddd I am working ahead on all of my files, while people that are currently working voluntary overtime are behind on all of their stuff because they are just milking the clock!!!

Sounds like you feel a cold coming on. *cough* *cough*

Such a great thread! Anybody else hating Berkeley's personal history statement? Do the specific departments even look at these??!?!

I think many. There's a whole thread devoted to this in the Applications section and people do not seem pleased. It's really double work. Plus, it seems like we could have infused our personal history within the SOP. It's a UC thing, because I have to do it for both UCs I'm applying to. I also wonder who will read this.

I'm working on doubling the SOP I sent to Northwestern!! AARGH. Yes, it's painful to look at the already-sent writing sample isn't it? :( *sigh* It's good but sad at the same time that I get so obsessed with particular programs as I apply to them: right now UNC looks just perfect for me, which makes me all the more annoyed that I'm screwing up this application :( STUPID APPLICATIONS.

I feel like I should be working on my app since I have two whole hours left, but I am worried that I might just make errors if I try to revise anymore ... since my brain is fried and my eyes are bleeding. (Sorry for that image :ph34r: ) Good luck!

Usually departments are cool about recommenders getting their letters in late. They know it's not under your control and are used to absent minded profs.

In the larger perspective, you've just got to do your best to not get frustrated. This process is not fair, and never has been.

500 word SOPs are the WORST!

Agreed! Especially for schools that don't have a place on the online application to upload a CV. Even when they do, though, it seems much more effective when I can explain how my history contributes to my current interests in a narrative.

What a lovely idea for a thread!

I'm most frustrated by the sheer volume of work that is due this week. I have 7 applications due Thursday, and a 20+ and 25+ paper due Friday. Eek. Interestingly, I'm feeling rather zen about the applications, and instead feeling overwhelmed and anxious about these seminar papers. I think I'm projecting my anxiety about applications, so that I can actually hit submit. Which is great! Except it's making writing a painfully slow process.

Luckily I only have 2 applications due this week and I'm about over half way done with the papers. Unfortunately, I have 2 more applications due and I'm only half way done with papers!

Good luck to everyone!

This! Not to mention...

My biggest frustration with the process so far--besides the exorbitant cost and the freaking GRE subject test and all the permutations of SOPs and WSs required--has been with the rest of my life's refusal to take a back seat while I focus only on these apps. It's all I can thinking about so I resent the intrusions of school, work, teaching, family, paying bills, etc etc etc.

...this also!

It would be easier, if on top of working full time (and overtime!) and having bills and family/friend obligations, I wasn't working really hard to improve/maintain my health! Being healthy amongst all this stress and chaos is freaking hard, but if I don't have that then all my plans for the future (grad school and otherwise) fall apart.

I feel like the person that ultimately gets shafted by all this is my poor boyfriend. I've become unpredictable and busier than I ever was in my undergrad. I feel the Neko Case song title "This Tornado Loves You" effectively describes "grad apps me" and my behavior in our relationship as I try and pull all of this together.

Edited by antecedant

Yes, this. My biggest issues so far have been with my LOR writers. One of them is having knee surgery on the 17th so she wants to receive all LOR requests by the 16th. Cool, no problem, except about half of my schools require that you submit the application first before the requests for LOR go out. So now I'm scrambling to contact every school and ask if my professor can send her letter directly to the department via e-mail. I'm going to develop trichotillomania before this application season is over.