CSU's: Anyone accepted yet?

bounce

From Leesta (from another topic): "Just got an email from them right now. Better luck to everyone else! "

She's rejected so...

Oh ok from another topic, I thought you meant on this specific topic since I couldn't remember seeing anyone on this one. Ok thanks, good to know. It's interesting that she said she got an email...hmm I wonder if something was wrong with her admissions packet because usually they send a rejection/acceptance through formal letter in the mail. I think at least that's what we'll receive but at least it will finally be this month!

I applied to the MSW program at SFSU and am going crazy not hearing back yet. When I log in to check my application status, it says "Accept Admission Offer-Pending Admission Decision" as well as forms to submit my immunizations and my financial aid package. Does anybody else have this showing on their page? I am confused if I am admitted with all of these on the page. Would it be there if I wasn't admitted?

Im currently in a tough situation. I would love to know my decision from Sac State ASAP because if i am not admitted i can just continue my education and go for a minor, however i have a deadline to meet whether or not to cancel my graduation.

Im currently in a tough situation. I would love to know my decision from Sac State ASAP because if i am not admitted i can just continue my education and go for a minor, however i have a deadline to meet whether or not to cancel my graduation.

i am waiting to hear from sac state too and it's really hard when we need to plan for next year! I have a feeling it will be soon, by April 30 at the latest!

I applied to the MSW program at SFSU and am going crazy not hearing back yet. When I log in to check my application status, it says "Accept Admission Offer-Pending Admission Decision" as well as forms to submit my immunizations and my financial aid package. Does anybody else have this showing on their page? I am confused if I am admitted with all of these on the page. Would it be there if I wasn't admitted?

Says the same for me. It means they are still pending the decision from the department. So you are admitted to the university but the department has yet to accept you. I actually work at SFSU so last week I went in to the social work office and they said they haven't released ANY descisions yet, and they should be letting people by the end of the month at the earliest. Apparently they have about 600 applications to read, and so far only about 200 have been read. yikes!

Says the same for me. It means they are still pending the decision from the department. So you are admitted to the university but the department has yet to accept you. I actually work at SFSU so last week I went in to the social work office and they said they haven't released ANY descisions yet, and they should be letting people by the end of the month at the earliest. Apparently they have about 600 applications to read, and so far only about 200 have been read. yikes!

Hey there, thanks for the info. I have the same on my website login as well, and now I have my financial aid award as well. I called the financial aid office and asked if I should accept it by the May 1st deadline even if I'm not accepted yet to the MSW program, and the woman said that I shouldn't until I am accepted. I asked then what if it passes the deadline and then I'm accepted, and she said at that point there will be a button to reinstate my financial aid. Has anyone else been thinking about this as a question and called to ask? I just want to make sure someone else calls or maybe I'll call again to Double check since sometimes people do mess up w/ information like this and you (me) end up making a mistake and not having financial aid is umm not an option lol. And since you work there, it's interesting because someone else on here said they go there but that we will all know by the end of April but you've now pointed out it will be at the earliest the end of April...meaning we might actually keep onnnn waitttingggg?? ah....

Edited by Lisbeth

Did everyone else get their award notification for SFSU? I didn't realize they would tell us that information before telling us their admission decision. The total so far (Without the Cal Grant which appears to be not factored in yet) is actually LESS then the estimated cost to live/attend. Interesting. Anyway, I don't know why they update all these links and not just let us know if we've been accepted! haha =) I guess I will wait fr the 3rd week of April.

Do you know if the deadline is the same for all departments and if all admission decisions are released together or does it depend on each department ? -there is probably less applicants in history than in social work for instance... Thank you

Did everyone else get their award notification for SFSU? I didn't realize they would tell us that information before telling us their admission decision. The total so far (Without the Cal Grant which appears to be not factored in yet) is actually LESS then the estimated cost to live/attend. Interesting. Anyway, I don't know why they update all these links and not just let us know if we've been accepted! haha =) I guess I will wait fr the 3rd week of April.

Hi NJC82, I mentioned something about this right above your post, in regards to the financial aid being said to us before being accepted and how I called to ask abt. accepting by the May 1st deadline even if we're not accepted yet. As for a Cal Grant, there are no Cal Grants for graduate school, the cal grant is only given to undergraduate majors in california, those pursuing a vocational program, and those getting teacher certificates. Same for the Pell grant, but these are only for undergrads who have not earned a professional degree and sometimes they are also given for people in teacher certificate programs as well. There is no "free" money for grad school except through stipends and other scholarships, both of which you have to apply to yourself and these are based on merit and or financial needs.

Edited by Lisbeth

One more thing, has anyone else been rudely awakened to the fact that there are No Longer graduate Subsidized Loans?? I mean holy CRAP....I called SFSU and was wondering heyyy why wasn't I awarded my max limit of subsidized loans if my contribution is like Nothing, and the woman explained that starting this Summer 2012, there are no longer federal subsidized loans for graduate students!!! (only still those for undergrads)...WOW this does suck. Now every single one of us will be accruing our interest on all of our federal loans the whole time we're in school instead of starting some of that accrual after graduating.

I'm editing this to add these just in case someone wants a quick description:

• Subsidized loans are awarded on the basis of financial need. You won't be charged any interest before you begin repaying the loan because the federal government subsidizes the interest during this time.
  • Unsubsidized loans charge interest from the time the money is first disbursed until it is paid in full. The interest is capitalized, meaning that you pay interest on any interest that has already accrued. One way to minimize how much interest accrues is to pay the interest as it accumulates.

Edited by Lisbeth

It looks like this topic has been posted a lot but I only applied to sac state since I live in the area and have a family. The wait is killing me! I heard some people might have heard by now so I was just wondering if anyone has heard yet? I have tried not to think about it but the day April 1st came its all I can think about :(

Has anyone interviewed at California State University Northridge and haven't heard back yet? I interviewed on March 16, the wait is killing me.

Hey! I got an interview request email. I sent them my availability on Friday, but they haven't scheduled me yet. What kinds of questions do they ask? Was it a phone interview? Do they interview people they want to confirm an acceptance or people that they are one the fence about? Eek! I just want to get it over with and get in!

Hey! I got an interview request email. I sent them my availability on Friday, but they haven't scheduled me yet. What kinds of questions do they ask? Was it a phone interview? Do they interview people they want to confirm an acceptance or people that they are one the fence about? Eek! I just want to get it over with and get in!

Hi!! I was so super nervous for my interview, like I had no idea what they were going to ask, so I prepared for all the traditional questions you know. But when I got there, I was interviewed by Julie, which she was so great. It was more of a conversation where she just asked me what I would bring to the social work field and why I want to go to Northridge. Just do your research about the school. It was honestly the best interview I have ever been on, super laid back and she conversed just as much as i did. Don't stress about it, I regretted how much i stressed about it afterwards haha. Good luck though :) And I think they interview people that they really want, because I know they disregard the group of people who dont make 'the cut' and then interview the more serious candidates, otherwise they would be interviewing a lot of people. So you're good :) However, they may have been on the fence with me (i have a pretty low gpa), and It makes me nervous because i havent heard back at all from them, but they did say that I would hear back by may 10 , but most likely before.. so i still have hope.

Hi!! I was so super nervous for my interview, like I had no idea what they were going to ask, so I prepared for all the traditional questions you know. But when I got there, I was interviewed by Julie, which she was so great. It was more of a conversation where she just asked me what I would bring to the social work field and why I want to go to Northridge. Just do your research about the school. It was honestly the best interview I have ever been on, super laid back and she conversed just as much as i did. Don't stress about it, I regretted how much i stressed about it afterwards haha. Good luck though :) And I think they interview people that they really want, because I know they disregard the group of people who dont make 'the cut' and then interview the more serious candidates, otherwise they would be interviewing a lot of people. So you're good :) However, they may have been on the fence with me (i have a pretty low gpa), and It makes me nervous because i havent heard back at all from them, but they did say that I would hear back by may 10 , but most likely before.. so i still have hope.

Wow! Well hopefully they get back to you soon! That's a loooong time to wait! I have a high gpa but not much experience. I'm just nervous that they will call be out of the blue and catch me off guard! I realllly want to got to CSUN! I was waitlisted at two other schools so this is my last chance! Plus I love the program and the area! CSU's are the best programs for the price!

Wow! Well hopefully they get back to you soon! That's a loooong time to wait! I have a high gpa but not much experience. I'm just nervous that they will call be out of the blue and catch me off guard! I realllly want to got to CSUN! I was waitlisted at two other schools so this is my last chance! Plus I love the program and the area! CSU's are the best programs for the price!

Then you should make sure to express that going into social work would give you the ability to gain more experience!! Are you in undergrad? I really want to go to CSUN as well. I am waitlisted at another place, and havent heard back from one, and denied acceptance to another all to go to CSUN, so i hope it works out. Maybe we will be classmates!

That's why I'm thinking! You know, you go to grad school to "master" a field of study. I really hope my lack of experience doesn't hold me back, I know that I can perform at the top grade-wise. I have around a year or so of experience, but that's not much considering how much experience most people have! I am in undergrad at a CSU. I'm only 22, so I'm thinking that might be a factor that is hurting me too. Seems like SW programs like older and returning students. It makes sense, more life experience and work experience is helpful for this field. I hope we are classmates!!

That's why I'm thinking! You know, you go to grad school to "master" a field of study. I really hope my lack of experience doesn't hold me back, I know that I can perform at the top grade-wise. I have around a year or so of experience, but that's not much considering how much experience most people have! I am in undergrad at a CSU. I'm only 22, so I'm thinking that might be a factor that is hurting me too. Seems like SW programs like older and returning students. It makes sense, more life experience and work experience is helpful for this field. I hope we are classmates!!

I totally agree! I am 21 almost 22, and only have volunteer experience and like one six month job that sort of applies to social work. But we have that motivation to continue schooling and understand what its like and people who have been out of the education setting forget what thats like. So theres pros and cons to accepting both kinds of students, and I hopefully the admissions committee thinks that way too! Let me know how it goes ok?

One more thing, has anyone else been rudely awakened to the fact that there are No Longer graduate Subsidized Loans?? I mean holy CRAP....I called SFSU and was wondering heyyy why wasn't I awarded my max limit of subsidized loans if my contribution is like Nothing, and the woman explained that starting this Summer 2012, there are no longer federal subsidized loans for graduate students!!! (only still those for undergrads)...WOW this does suck. Now every single one of us will be accruing our interest on all of our federal loans the whole time we're in school instead of starting some of that accrual after graduating.

Yeah it is a bummer this happened now as we are going to attend but, I think they had to start doing something. Student loans are getting out of control and people are taking out way more than they will be able to pay. It is the next big financial bubble. I recommend paying the interest while you are in school instead of letting it all accumulate.

I totally agree! I am 21 almost 22, and only have volunteer experience and like one six month job that sort of applies to social work. But we have that motivation to continue schooling and understand what its like and people who have been out of the education setting forget what thats like. So theres pros and cons to accepting both kinds of students, and I hopefully the admissions committee thinks that way too! Let me know how it goes ok?

Exactly! I'm a great student! I have all A's in my major and I really don't want to stop school, I' still haven't run out of steam! I'll definitely keep you informed, thanks for your help! :D

Good luck to everyone waiting on CSUN! I think I have messaged with a few of you. I hope everything works to your advantage. Getting to the interview is a big achievement. They do not interview everyone. They interview only people they are seriously considering.

Also I should add, don´t stress if it starts looking like you´ll need to wait until next year. It seems a lot of great applicants find themselves in a situation where they need to apply again. I hope that you all get in but, also don´t be too hard on yourselves through the process.

Edited by allyba

I'm waiting on CSUS too. I haven't heard anything yet but I really doubt anyone has. I applied last year and was waitlisted; obviously I didn't make it. Last year I believe they let around 120 people in and waitlisted 55 of us. I don't remember how many apps they got but it was significantly more than that. Obviously now is a bad time to be applying to any MSW program since competition is fierce.

I just checked my email records and last year CSUS notified me that I was waitlisted in mid-May. I am cautiously optimistic about getting in this time since I had an entire year to bolster my resume giving me 2+ years paid supervisory experience in human services plus I was actually contacted by the department to reapply. If you don't get in or you get waitlisted to whatever MSW program you are trying to get into don't trip- look at it as more time to make yourself a more competitive candidate for next year. Yeah it sucks but taking another year to work gave me a much clearer view of what exactly I wanted to do and accomplish so it's not the end of the world. Good luck to everyone on here.