Following up on your application

MakeYourself

Hi all, I'm fairly new here but I've been trolling the boards for a while.... I'm just wondering what other people's experiences have been with following up on their applications and talking to the grad secretaries? I'm feeling frustrated because one of the schools that I applied to expects you to call them to make sure that all of your documents are in - I was told in November by the secretary to call in mid-December to check my application, so I called, and I was told again to call the second week of January, so I called again - then I was told to call next week again... so I'm planning to call again, BUT, the deadline for all materials to be in is this Friday so if everything is not in then I'll be screwed even if I call next week.....

So now I'm sort of having a mini freak-out.

So what have been other people's experiences with following up on their applications/checking their documents? What do you all think is the appropriate amount of time to wait before you contact the school to ask what's going on with your application?

This waiting process is driving me crazy. :wacko:

I've had to contact a graduate secretary for 6 of the schools I'm applying to to check that everything's good. I actually emailed every one except Harvard, which basically has a call center dedicated to checking people's apps. All of the ones I emailed responded within 24 hours! So maybe email is the way to to go for some places if calling is getting you nowhere.

I have been emailing my programs of interest and all I have gotten back is silence. The websites and application confirmation emails all said we gladly will answer any questions and check on the status of your application. Lies.

I have been emailing my programs of interest and all I have gotten back is silence. The websites and application confirmation emails all said we gladly will answer any questions and check on the status of your application. Lies.

I'm sure in their defense they're busy... but in our defense we're being driven to madness!!

I just called the secretary again from the above^ mentioned school. I figured she doesn't know who I am so I started asking her why she keeps telling me to call back when the deadline is Sunday and she told me not to worry about the deadline and it's not a big deal and to call back next week........

I've e-mailed all the schools that didn't have a place on their website to confirm that all materials were in. I've heard back from all but one so far. All were short and to the point, but not unfriendly, except one, who sounded annoyed, pointing out that I'd gotten an e-mail confirming that my app was in. Grrrr. That e-mail didn't specify that all the materials were in, though. Oh, well. ;kja;skjd;fk;kaj;skd;ffkasf I need decisions to come soon or I will go crazy!

I had problems with two schools in this regard. Supposely, both were inundated with applications, but the online status check for my earliest deadline school didn't reflect all of my materials for weeks following the deadline. The people in the admissions office just kept telling me not to worry and that they were just backlogged on matching up application materials, but I am obviously concerned that it will affect my admissions decision. The second school is a similar story, though now it finally says all of my materials are in, but that the application is incomplete. I called and same story - they're backlogged and getting around to it.

I wonder if this is why they have us put our GRE scores and upload unofficial copies of our transcripts as part of the application - so that they can still process our applications even when our materials are not properly matched up in time. I certainly hope that is the case because I definitely don't want to get rejected for an incomplete application just because somebody can't sort the mail fast enough. I acknowledge that I cut it a bit close with some of my transcripts but the admissions offices definitely had them all before the deadline.

School 1 - I emailed, asking if my test scores were received, but got no response. I emailed again, giving them my AY number and asked if they received all my material, but till date no response. The deadline passed 10 days ago, so I have given up on this school.

School 2 - I emailed to ask if they received my test scores. They responded saying they hadn't. So, I wrote to GRE and even without my request, they re-sent my scores to all the schools I applied to, with no extra charge. (Bless the GRE!). I emailed the school 2 again, telling them about it. First I got a response saying I should check the status online after 2 weeks. After that, I got another response saying my scores were in now and will be on my application in 3-4 days' time. I don't know about the reference letters yet. I submitted my application on the last date, so all this happened a few days after the deadline passed.

School 3 - I wrote to ask if my scores were in. they responded back saying they hadn't received them. I had written to GRE by this time and they sent them the scores again, with no extra charge. Meanwhile, I attached a scanned copy of my personal scores report and sent them. They wrote back saying they will send the application for reviewing with the scanned copy and if offered admission, I'll have to send official copy of the scores. But they received the official copy shortly after this. I had again submitted on the last date, so all this happened after the deadline passed.

It seems they are aware that such mishaps can take place in the application process and they wait for some time after the deadline to get all materials and to sort out the applications.

I feel it's best to send your application number by email and ask your specific questions. Sending scanned copies seems to be a good idea.

Edited by Seeking

Tell me you guys are kidding with these threads? Not to be a jerk, and Im saying this with all the smiles and rose petals I can send out to the internet but, is this board full of twenty somethings? I won't give a definite answer but I will say that most if not all grad schools are full of really cool people, not a bunch of punitive ivory tower dwellers.

Tell me you guys are kidding with these threads? Not to be a jerk, and Im saying this with all the smiles and rose petals I can send out to the internet but, is this board full of twenty somethings? I won't give a definite answer but I will say that most if not all grad schools are full of really cool people, not a bunch of punitive ivory tower dwellers.

True -- in my two application seasons, I've had really good experiences with graduate admin people AND professors---95% of them were quickly responsive, thorough, actually answered my questions, sounded nice and cool over email/phone, etc.

But in between, I was applying to the big bad world of real life jobs, and may have gotten that same nice experience maybe 5% of the time. I would be duly anxious about my applications if that's all I had to go on---the fact that the vast majority of communication attempts will be lost/unnoticed/ignored and you may never know what happened to your application.

I have no complaints about my Grad-application experience.

I understand it's normal to take time when the office is flooded with applications. And I'm grateful to School 3 for agreeing to send my application for review even without an official copy of GRE scores.

As for School 1, I feel they'll come round to my application in another few days' time. It's just that I don't want to mail them again, since they seem to be busy with work.

It's true that the staff and the faculty have been very good with me all this while in their exchanges with me.

Last year at this time I was working in a university's Registrar's office, and let me tell you all, January and February (and probably December too, but I wasn't there then) are COMPLETELY INSANE. I've seen the mailroom and I've seen the process of getting everyone's official transcripts processed. It was actually kind of reassuring when it came to sending in my transcripts, because I know pretty much what's going to happen to them. For the most part, our office had a 1-day turnaround time when it came to processing incoming graduate application materials. But the sheer VOLUME of them was amazing.

So rest assured, those people are working really hard to get all your materials where they're supposed to be. I also know people who work in various departments, and they're good people too. They're ridiculously busy right now, but they're on your (and now my) side. (:

For those who got terse or no responses, make sure to check the application websites carefully, often the school asks that you please not call about your application status (for exactly the reason Athenrein stated). A high volume of calls will only slow down their ability to process incoming mail. Most schools say they will call you if anything is missing, obviously this will happen after the deadline, but if they are calling to get the missing parts then they aren't just throwing out your app because it wasn't complete, so relax! They know transcripts and scores arriving on time is often out of our hands. And you don't want to get on the wrong food with Dept administrators by annoying them to death, you'll need them once you're in! Best of luck y'all.

Update -

School 1's website says nothing on the application status. But, I got a mass email saying our applications are complete, they are being reviewed now by the admission committee and we will be informed shortly, giving a timeline for the two rounds of selection and final decisions.

The email also said if the faculty wants to see something more, we'll be contacted, though it's not likely - so I gather all my required materials are in and I can take a nap till they arrive at a decision.

So, no response sometimes means silent efficiency! B)

Edited by Seeking

For me, only UC Berkeley has an online status thing, and they updated it with my GRE scores very quickly (I think because Berkeley receives score reports electronically). Everything else (transcripts, LORs) were uploaded directly into the application. It was a very smooth process.

My other two schools have no status checker and did not let me know whether my application was complete. One of them "welcomed questions about applications," so I emailed a few weeks ago to check if I was complete and didn't get a response. So I just left it alone.

I have an interview invite from one of these schools though, so I'm going to assume they both got my stuff. =P

Edited by Pitangus

Cornell still hasn't confirmed my application as complete 3 weeks after I sent them my GRE & TOEFL scores. <_<

A department assistant at Cornell told me that they're having major issues with getting GRE stuff organized but that it won't keep my application from being read. So chin up! :D

A department assistant at Cornell told me that they're having major issues with getting GRE stuff organized but that it won't keep my application from being read. So chin up! :D

That's a relief! Thanks. :)

FYI, I checked the website today and my GRE score is finally showing up as "received" by Cornell. Huzzah!

Edited by bespeckled

Luckily, every school I applied to has an incredibly responsive online status checker system. They've all updated everything I've sent in within 24 hours of the materials being available. Like a few of the above posters said, no need to freak out unless they specifically contact you saying they need something!

Does someone have heard something about Harvard and/or UCLA and/or BU? I can't check on their websites if they received my official transcripts, GRE and TOEFL scores and they don't return my emails.

I know they must be really busy right know, but some sort of confirmation would be nice!