worried about GPA

child of 2

I'm a chem e major in my third year. research experiences aside, the highest my GPA will be by the time I apply for grad school is cum:3.55 major: 3.79... I had the opportunity to do well in all of my classes, but I've had a bad habit of overwhelming myself with the amount of classes I take, as well as other excuses that won't be worth mentioning. I'm afraid my GPA will automatically disqualify me from the really good schools. What are people's impressions on undergrad GPA and how they're looked at in the admission process?

thanks

IMO, your GPA is not going to be the deciding factor holding you back. GPA and GRE are more important as general cutoffs- separating out people who are too low in either category. Other than that, a really high GPA or GRE scores can be beneficial, but mid-range numbers shouldn't hold you back.

The important deciding factors in admissions are more often your letters of recommendation, your statement of purpose, and your past research experiences.

"admitted applicants typically have average GPAs between 3.7 and 3.9."

that's what I'm asking. they list the min GPA cutoff as 3.0 or 3.5, but what are the real cutoffs for the avg applicant to actually stand a realistic chance of admittance. It would be nice to get a figure for the top 5, top 10, and top 20.

Edited by child of 2

Why don't you search for admittances for the programs you are interested in on the Results Survey page, and check out the figures for the accepted students? Find the lowest GPA you can, and then use that to figure out if it's possible for you.

For example, my GPA is a 3.3 but people were admitted to my program last year with 3.0 and less (top 5 sociology) so I am not going to discount myself. Obviously they look at other things.

Typically, if you are over 3.0, your application will at least be looked at. But this is coming from someone who had an undergraduate CGPA of slightly less than 2.5. I worked to ensure that -every- other component of my application would receive second glances (full Verbal score on GRE, stellar LORs despite my undergrad institution being a fairly unknown place, very strong writing sample+statement). I was able to get into one of the top programs in my field and earned my MA there. I'm waiting on Ph.D. decisions now, and this time around, my MA performance/research/LORs will take the spotlight. For support, my undergrad advisor has contributed a 4th LOR which gives his view of my progress from shaky undergrad to very competitive grad. We are, within reason, hopeful that all of this will be ample evidence that my undergraduate "numbers" are not the sum total of myself as a scholar.

All of which is just to underscore very boldly the fact that you don't need to worry about your GPA. If one route doesn't work out, try another. Ensure you are maxing out every other facet of your application. Have a compelling, well-thought out research design. My suspicion is that both in the humanities and sciences, a good research design along with evidence of scholarly work can push an applicant to the top of the list even if they don't have amazing numbers. Add in sincere LORs, and you have a very competitive package.

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm still skeptical.

I talked to my faculty adviser today, and told her my best possible gpa by grad school app time is ~3.57, and she told me that this is a good GPA, but there are certain top schools that have thresholds below which they just screen the applications and weed out the ones that aren't your typical golden boy. (paraphrasing)

She suggested UT-Austin, which is a top 10. I think it will be a really high reach for me. There's a 75% chance I'll have a publication by the end of this semester. Also, I'm going to try to make a poster and attend some conferences to get some exposure. Lastly, I've been working close to 30 hrs/wk in the labs, even though I only get paid for 20/30 of those hours. If I can keep this up, I bet I can get some pretty good data.

I obviously want to go to the best school I possibly can. But at the same time, I don't want to get eaten alive and feel like a fool. I don't handle rejections very well. People say it's nothing, but getting rejected is probably among my top 3 worst feelings.

Edited by child of 2

for UT austin they list on their site that the cutoff for chem E is 3.5. ....I think you have nothing to worry about. It is REALLY difficult to say which factors are the most important...i really believe the schools when they say its a holistic process...and they look at the whole application...just apply to the schools you want to go to and make sure to pick some lower ranked schools...

"plus your major GPA(which is a lot more important) is SUPER high"

thant's debatable.

I'm just paranoid because when I was in high school, I got completely screwed by college apps.

Edited by child of 2

College apps from high school are nothing like graduate school apps coming from college.

Your test scores and GPA are of much lesser importance than the rest of your application package- they only really make a difference if they're super high, or below the programs stated cutoff.

I have yet to run across a program that had some "hidden" cuttoff. If they have one, it's stated, and they review all the apps that make above that level the same.

And yes, a 3.8 major GPA and 3.57 overall is a solid GPA.

Edited by Eigen

If you are going for a PhD - I can't tell if you are an MS applicant or a PhD applicant - then a GPA just over the cutoff combined with very strong fit and research experience is better than a very high GPA with mediocre or weak fit and research experience.

From what I have gathered, the importance of GPA and GRE are dependent to some degree on what your other application materials look like. If your GRE and GPA pass basic muster, they look at everything else. Everything else compared they look back at these two things. So it really all depends.

Not what you want to hear, but it is basically the truth. It is very difficult to compare two people easily, and don't think that over all you would want them to look at you that way.

wow this is very inspiring! did you go nuts studying for the GRE to get the full score?

Typically, if you are over 3.0, your application will at least be looked at. But this is coming from someone who had an undergraduate CGPA of slightly less than 2.5. I worked to ensure that -every- other component of my application would receive second glances (full Verbal score on GRE, stellar LORs despite my undergrad institution being a fairly unknown place, very strong writing sample+statement). I was able to get into one of the top programs in my field and earned my MA there. I'm waiting on Ph.D. decisions now, and this time around, my MA performance/research/LORs will take the spotlight. For support, my undergrad advisor has contributed a 4th LOR which gives his view of my progress from shaky undergrad to very competitive grad. We are, within reason, hopeful that all of this will be ample evidence that my undergraduate "numbers" are not the sum total of myself as a scholar.

All of which is just to underscore very boldly the fact that you don't need to worry about your GPA. If one route doesn't work out, try another. Ensure you are maxing out every other facet of your application. Have a compelling, well-thought out research design. My suspicion is that both in the humanities and sciences, a good research design along with evidence of scholarly work can push an applicant to the top of the list even if they don't have amazing numbers. Add in sincere LORs, and you have a very competitive package.

wow this is very inspiring! did you go nuts studying for the GRE to get the full score?

Ironically, I had barely any time to prepare for the GRE as I had to move in response to a job offer. I took the GRE 3 hours after moving. I was mentally prepared to see an abysmal score and was already planning on ditching that application season--as it happened, things worked out for the better.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. Graduate admissions is not done numerically. Some years the top candidate for admission may have a 3.9 and other years they may have a 3.3. More important than simple numbers are the placement of those grades and the rest of the application - research experience, publications, recommendations, networking, who knows who, the statement of purpose, etc. It's simply impossible to attach a numeric meaning - top 5, top 10 - to a GPA because graduate admissions are far more subjective.

What people are telling you is that your GPA, a 3.55 with a 3.7+ in your major, is not going to keep you out of anywhere. If you do get rejected, it will not likely be because your GPA is too low. I had a 3.4 GPA and a 3.6ish major GPA and I got into all of the MPH programs I applied to plus a top 10 PhD program in my field, and was told that I would've been quite competitive for other PhD programs had I applied.

If you don't handle rejection well, perhaps academia is not the field for you - because getting rejected from graduate school is only the beginning of rejections. Apply to the schools that are the best fit for you and see what happens. Don't shut your own self out of the best schools.

Edited by juilletmercredi