Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2012--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Thank you so much!

Have you made your decision yet, fanon_fanatic? I bet it's hard to choose from 5 great programs!

I have been working for the past 5 years and I plan on returning to Graduate School in the Fall of 2012, and I am currently evaluating offers from USC-Annenberg, Syracuse University-Newhouse and BU-COM for admission into their new media management programs. I also have an admissions offer from the New School's New Media Studies program but it is not in my consideration set at the moment.

My goal at the end of my graduate studies is to emerge out of these programs with the ability to either work with a start up in new media / niche role in a large media corporation (Such as Strategy) or develop an idea to take to the market in the next 3 years. Keeping this goal in mind, I believe that the following attributes are extremely important - Quality of faculty, Placement Success Rate, Average Starting Salary, Branding of School and Program and Networking Opportunities.

I have included a short brief on the programs along with some of my thoughts.

1. Boston University – MS in Media Ventures http://www.bu.edu/com/mediaventures/

My top choice is the Media Ventures program which is offered by the College of Communications at BU and it is about the business of emerging media. It is a one year bi-coastal intensive program that starts in the fall in Boston and culminates in the summer in LA. Classes include media in evolution, financial concepts, Media Business Entrepreneurship, a class on creating ideas and Multiplatform Entertainment Promotion and Marketing. The course also includes two internships in LA, one with a startup company and one with a traditional media company. The course has a strong entrepreneurial component where students start with an idea and build it out over the course of the program - complete with pitch, prototype, business and marketing plans.

My only concern with this program is the lack of a proper LA campus and that their faculty's credentials pales in comparison to those at USC.

2. Syracuse University –MS in New Media Management http://newhouse.syr....te/overview.cfm

SU offers a masters degree in New Media Management through their School of Public Communications. This is also an intense, year-long education in the dual fields of management and communications. Classes include applied media research, competitive strategy, understanding financial statements, creating customer value and an overview of the film and television business. This course has been created by the communications and management schools at Syracuse University so the focus on traditional business concepts is greater than at the BU program which is more cutting edge.

Syracuse does not have the location advantage of the other two programs - From a networking perspective, I think I really ought to be on either of the coasts.

3. USC – MA in Communication Management (Entertainment Management Track) http://annenberg.usc...cus/EntMgt.aspx

The Master of Communication Management provides students with the skills to analyze complex business and communication problems; to enhance critical thinking, writing, presentation and oral advocacy skills; appreciate diverse perspectives and solutions; and design communication with a global perspective. The Entertainment Management track within the program examines the dynamic entertainment industry, which includes film, music and other interactive multimedia. This track focuses on the management side of broadcast and cable television, motion pictures and film, music, interactive multimedia, and other areas in the arts and entertainment.

Classes such as Emerging Communication Technologies where social, political, cultural, interpersonal and organizational issues related to emerging communication technologies are examined and Audience Analysis where fundamental principles of audience research and critiquing of existing methodologies are discussed as well as International Entertainment Marketplace which explores global influences in entertainment industries (including telecommunications and internet) including case analyses of specific organizations and geographic regions are of significant interest to me and tie in well with my career aspirations.

However, I fear that is program is too "entertainment" focused and does not concentrate as much on the new media side of things. It also does not have the entrepreneurial feel (especially in emerging media) that BU offers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I am looking at all programs objectively, I would really like to get additional perspective on these three programs and recommendations if any.

Thanks,

V

• 2 weeks later...

@Saviya, I eventually chose Brown, and am very excited about it. It was a really hard decision though for me at the end between Brown and UNC. I'm still struggling a little bit over whether or not I made the right decision, but I can't change it now! :) Are you headed to USC?

@vcash, I don't know anything about any of those programs, and most of the folks on this thread are looking at research focused Ph.Ds. However, I can say that generally speaking, just from the standpoint of decision making with programs, that the fact you listed BU first and that your gut seems to tell you that is the right school for you, that it is probably the best pick for you. I think what you'll need to weigh most is what you want on the other side of your degree--are you looking to go into the professional world again, or on to a Ph.D program? If you're heading to a professional job after the degree, I would check out the placement rates at each program in terms of where they are placing graduates and how quickly they're finding jobs. In professional programs I think the most important aspect is that the faculty have connections and are adept at their various areas of expertise, and that means you can go anywhere that fits your interests and that faculty have excellent networks. Take some time to really figure out which program most fits what you want to do.......a theme on this website (you will discover) is that fit is king. People turn down some amazing programs because of a lack of "fit" with what they're trying to do, because at the end of the day fit is what will make you feel like your time and money are well spent. I wouldn't worry too much if BU doesn't have an LA campus--poll some current graduate students or alumni of the program to see how they dealt with that aspect. Plus, with BU, it seems you can "have your cake and eat it too" by spending time on both coasts! However, whatever you decide, it looks like you really can't make a bad decision, and that is awesome. If you don't get anymore answers on this thread, I would encourage you to repost (if you haven't already) in the Decisions, Decisions section and you might also get some more feedback there. Good luck with your decision!!

Having lived in Syracuse for a year, I'd say move to Boston or Los Angeles. But, that said, I chose a program in Columbia, Missouri, over one in Chicago. For me, I decided I needed to follow my gut instinct, and choose the school that felt like the best fit (both academically and financially). And, from your post, it seems like BU is where you want to go.

So, I got accepted to two unis. U of Denver in PhD, but they can't give me any money so that is no longer an option. Also got accepted to GSU (MA) moving images studies. They are giving me a full tuition waiver and a stipend which doesn't really cover living expenses and i will have to figure out ways to supplement that stipend which is tough given the fact that i am an international student. Anyone have any idea on GSU's moving image program? Please let me know. I am trying to figure out if i should accept the offer or reapply next year to other schools. I currently work part-time and although the job is great i have basically gotten everything that i could get out of it. i could look for other job opportunities but my options are limited again because of my immigration status. I am ready to go back to school but is GSU it!?

Thoughts, advice please!!

I know a little bit about that program--I was accepted for their Ph.D program but decided to go with another offer. I liked the Comm department quite a bit when I went there but they didn't fit my research interests as well as I needed to feel comfortable. I'd say if they are a good fit for your interests, its worth a try. It is very good to get full funding at the MA level in Communication. Syracuse and a handful of other schools offer it. Beyond that, very few offer full funding for a terminal MA program. So that's something to consider, because in many cases, you will be paying for an MA fully out of pocket, tuition and all. And the cost of living in Atlanta is actually very reasonable (so your dollars can stretch farther than you think).

I think if you want to go on to get your Ph.D, but you don't think your portfolio is competitive enough to get into a Ph.D program with full funding next year, then I'd suggest giving this opportunity a serious look. On the other hand, if you think you could have better results next year, either because you apply to different schools, or because something in your portfolio changes (applicable work experience, research experience, publications, conferences) then perhaps that's the better option. But that is also the option with no guarantees. I decided to do a MA program instead of reapplying to Ph.Ds the first year I was turned down, and it made a big difference for me in terms of my academic growth and raising the competitiveness of my applications for Ph.Ds this year. Unlike you, I wasn't funded but I felt the money was still very much worthwhile and well spent.

That's my 2 cents. Others might have different opinions or more insight based on their experiences. Good luck with your decision!

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone,

I got accepted into the phd program in Media and Communication at Bowling Green State University. I couldn't find any ranking for the program. I was wondering if this is a good program or not. Pleas advice. Thank you..

• 2 weeks later...

First of all congratulations on getting in! 

Second, I would wait to hear from all applied institutions before you accept any offer.

Third, I'd decide based upon 1) institutional placement (i.e. where do students get jobs after finishing their doctorate, if anywhere, and 2) funding (expect an offer of at least 3 years that includes tuition, teaching experience, and an advisor assignment). 

Last, what counts as a good program varies depending on your concentration. If you have an advisor who will help you to develop the subject of study that you're interested in then you're better off than most. 

I agree with Krissada

I have applied to USC Annenberg, University of North Carolina Chapell hill (Communication Studies), and University of Colorado Boulder (Media Studies) and I'm in the final stages of my application for American University (Communication). Anyone heard anything yet? Where did people apply?

I agree with Krissada

I have applied to USC Annenberg, University of North Carolina Chapell hill (Communication Studies), and University of Colorado Boulder (Media Studies) and I'm in the final stages of my application for American University (Communication). Anyone heard anything yet? Where did people apply?

Hi Silent_Bobina!!

All I know is that three of the universities I've applied to (American, Temple & Cornell) have started processing the applications. I've also applied to Howard, Maryland, Drexel, Columbia, Rutgers & SUNY. I've already started refereshing my inbox like mad!

I agree with Krissada

I have applied to USC Annenberg as well :)

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to UPenn Annenberg as well. While I've heard great news from my top choices Denver and Northwestern, I am still anxious/nervous to hear back from UPenn. Hopefully we will hear something soon. 

Do they do interviews or do they just accept/reject without interviewing top candidates? 

I applied to UPenn Annenberg as well. While I've heard great news from my top choices Denver and Northwestern, I am still anxious/nervous to hear back from UPenn. Hopefully we will hear something soon.    Do they do interviews or do they just accept/reject without interviewing top candidates? 
I dont think they're conducting interviews at all (judging from what i know about past applicants). The emails say we should hear back by the end of february. so nervous!!!

Got waitlisted for Penn State's Communication Arts and Sciences :(

Is there anyone got admitted to CAS and is considering reject their offer?

i'm undecided about how i feel about "penn state culture." if i'm offered a fellowship, penn state is raised on my list. but as of now, they're only up there. i'm still waiting from a couple of my top choices

I applied to UPenn Annenberg as well. While I've heard great news from my top choices Denver and Northwestern, I am still anxious/nervous to hear back from UPenn. Hopefully we will hear something soon. 

Do they do interviews or do they just accept/reject without interviewing top candidates? 

dude congrats on northwestern!

they're number 2/3 on my list, but i haven't heard. i'm assuming wait list or rejection.

So you think if by now there is no response, it is automatically either rejection or wait list? Wouldn't they send out rejection earlier?? I still haven't heard anything and am getting really worried.

well i wouldn't lose faith yet. But I do think that if there's no word from NU this upcoming week, since their recruitment weekends are usually late february, it's a safe bet to say either you are on an unofficial wait list or that you are rejected...

You are completely right! I am so anxious. Why can't admissions committee just give out rejections first and get them out ofthe way while they deliberate more on potential apps???? Lol

I heard Cornell already gave out a couple decisions... Does anyone know about this?

my first choice is UNC and I know for a fact that they notified people who were accepted. There nothing worse than waiting on a rejection.

they have notified their first round of acceptances--**however**--they have also rolled out their rejections. if you haven't heard anything, you're probably on a wait list. I was offered an acceptance off the wait list before--it is possible!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only applying to one Communication program, so I haven't been on this side of things much, but I contacted UMass today and asked when to expect decisions and they said the adcomm will start notifying by next week. Not sure that's helpful to anyone, but I thought I'd pass it along in case others were applying to UMass Amherst.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48