Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2012--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Brancan & Saviya, I'm also waiting to hear from USC. From the results survey of previous years, it seems that admission decisions are released all over the place, end of Feb, end of Mar or early Apr, some by phone, and others by email or post. Hopefully, they'll announce something tomorrow or early next week.

Dropping by to say hello to members of this thread.

I am an applicant for the Political Science F12 cycle who was rejected across the board.

My research objectives are mainly about Internet, media and authoritarian politics so I am thinking about also applying to some of the communication programs next year, since I found out late in my application process that faculty members in comm programs also matched my interest.

My undergraduate degree is in English, with a minor in Animation. I am now (hopefully) finishing an MA in political science.

I hope you wouldn't mind if I ask some questions here.

Is it only advisable to apply for comm phd if one has a lot of work experience?

Edited by dec4rhapsody

@dec4rhapsody, I have a similar background (BA in English, MA in political science) and negligible work experience, and was accepted to two of the five programs I applied to this year. I don't know how representative I am, but I'd say work experience is much less significant than a clear idea of what you want to study. Academic publications also seem to help immensely, though I don't have any of those.

Dropping by to say hello to members of this thread.

I am an applicant for the Political Science F12 cycle who was rejected across the board.

My research objectives are mainly about Internet, media and authoritarian politics so I am thinking about also applying to some of the communication programs next year, since I found out late in my application process that faculty members in comm programs also matched my interest.

My undergraduate degree is in English, with a minor in Animation. I am now (hopefully) finishing an MA in political science.

I hope you wouldn't mind if I ask some questions here.

Is it only advisable to apply for comm phd if one has a lot of work experience?

@dec4rhapsody, I have a similar background (BA in English, MA in political science) and negligible work experience, and was accepted to two of the five programs I applied to this year. I don't know how representative I am, but I'd say work experience is much less significant than a clear idea of what you want to study. Academic publications also seem to help immensely, though I don't have any of those.

I have work experience, but I have to agree with commsch12 and say that what's likely to impress an adcomm more is a clear sense of what you want to study (communication is such a broad field and you really need to be able to narrow your interests down and show that you have a clear focus) and a strong writing sample that shows you have an understanding of the current research in the field and how it applies to your research interests. You also need to show that you recognize which faculty members in the department are doing work that aligns with your chosen field of study, so that you can demonstrate you are capable of making significant contributions to the work being done in the department. I have a friend who is a faculty member who was admitted to several PhD programs with almost no non-academic experience - she went from her BA to a MS, worked for less than a year and then went into a PhD program.

Yay! Congrats, Edost!!!

I received an email from RPI yesterday telling me I was accepted into the Communication and Rhetoric program but I'll still have to wait for funding decision.

Edited by Saviya

I see UW-Madison acceptances! Anybody here receive one? Or is someone just trolling and messing with me?

Its a Culture Studies acceptance- I don't know if its a troll but it sent me scrambling to the UMadison status page- I was so nervous I kept typing my own last name wrong. No decision posted.

Maybe they had time for only one email on Friday? At any rate I think we should probably hear back in the first couple of days in the next week. I just dont want to know anymore- its too overwhelming. Thank heavens the coming week is super busy with meetings everyday. I think I'll double my time at the gym also. I can't handle the waiting anymore :blink:

I've been accepted to Indiana University's Telecommunications program! I'm very excited!

Congrats @edost! That's a great program!

I see UW-Madison acceptances! Anybody here receive one? Or is someone just trolling and messing with me?

I haven't heard anything from the Journalism and Mass Comm department at UW- Madison. I'm not banking on getting in (though it would be awesome!). I'm still in mourning over being wait listed at Boulder. I was really set on that school for some reason.

Just got an acceptance from Utah's Communication program in the mail today. Not sure if anyone else was still waiting to hear from them.

Does anyone have an opinion on this program? (Feel free to private message me.) I really liked everything I could find out about it, but a few of the Comm kids at the school I'm doing my MA at seemed to advocate against going there.

Hello!

I am still waiting for UT-Austin's Journalism program (PhD) and UW-Madison (Journalism & Mass comm). Anybody heard from them yet? Also, I saw posts in the results survey about invitation to Northwestern's MTS program (PhD). My online application status still indicates "decision not been generated yet" but I have not received the invitation. I have no idea how to interpret it. Rejection on the way or waiting-listed ? :(

Hello!

I am still waiting for UT-Austin's Journalism program (PhD) and UW-Madison (Journalism & Mass comm). Anybody heard from them yet? Also, I saw posts in the results survey about invitation to Northwestern's MTS program (PhD). My online application status still indicates "decision not been generated yet" but I have not received the invitation. I have no idea how to interpret it. Rejection on the way or waiting-listed ? :(

I haven't heard from UW (Journalism and Mass Comm) yet either. A few weeks ago, they said decisions would be out by Feb. 24th but the online portal says March 1st.

You should probably contact the grad studies office at Northwestern to find out where you stand. From what I've gathered from this experience-- a lot of programs aren't quick to inform you of your "wait list" status.

Hi future candidates:

I was wondering if I could glean some general knowledge from those of you with similar interests: I'm currently in The New School's Media Studies MA program, which I really like, and I choose as sort of a middle ground before (possibly) going onto a PhD program. Now I'm a little more sure of what I want, and I'm interested in a lot of the schools which have been mentioned here, but I thought I'd ask a little more directly:

I'm really interested in the intersection of political communications and media studies, specifically critical approaches to ideology and new media, propaganda and that sort of thing... remediation and the transformation of rhetoric through digital networks, which I know is sorta new stuff, but perhaps if someone else is into this, I can find out where you've looked at? If so, thanks!

You should probably contact the grad studies office at Northwestern to find out where you stand. From what I've gathered from this experience-- a lot of programs aren't quick to inform you of your "wait list" status.

I did contact them because I needed to send additional material anyways (I applied to MTS and haven't heard anything, yet, although me being in Germany might be one of the reasons why I wasn't considered for a funded campus visit in the first place) and their graduate coordinator told me the exact same thing that is already stated on the status page: decisions can be rendered until the end of February or early March.

Someone else also asked and got the answer: If you haven't been rejected yet you're still being considered.

Another poster, who went for interview weekend, said that internationals are usually interviewed via skype.

That's our shared knowledge in short.

Let's wait until early March, I hope by then we'll know.

I haven't heard from UW (Journalism and Mass Comm) yet either. A few weeks ago, they said decisions would be out by Feb. 24th but the online portal says March 1st.

I just received an email from a professor from UW-Madison today, saying decisions will be out soon early this week; and "in his personal opinion", I have a very good chance of being admitted. I guess this is a positive sign? Can't wait to see the email...

I did contact them because I needed to send additional material anyways (I applied to MTS and haven't heard anything, yet, although me being in Germany might be one of the reasons why I wasn't considered for a funded campus visit in the first place) and their graduate coordinator told me the exact same thing that is already stated on the status page: decisions can be rendered until the end of February or early March.

Someone else also asked and got the answer: If you haven't been rejected yet you're still being considered.

Another poster, who went for interview weekend, said that internationals are usually interviewed via skype.

That's our shared knowledge in short.

Let's wait until early March, I hope by then we'll know.

Thank you so much for the explanation about Northwestern's MTS. I guess I would need to extend the waiting torture for another week then :(

Anybody knows anything about UT-Austin's Journalism (PhD) program? They have been so quiet ever since I submitted the application. Well, weird...

I've just sent an email to USC to inquire about PhD admission status. They said that the first group of candidates have already been notified and invited to attend the on-campus event. The faculty director is also contacting another group of candidates to notify they have been waitlisted. The remaining group of applicants should receive a decision letter by mail by the last week of March. I guess those who have not received anything by now are likely in the rejected pool?

I just received an acceptance (via email) from UW- Madison's Journalism and Mass Comm program. I'm actually kind of shocked. (But very grateful!!!)

Did anyone else hear from them? I have no idea if all acceptances went out at once. My email was addressed to me-- but was otherwise not personalized. It says funding decisions will be out March 5th.

I just received an acceptance (via email) from UW- Madison's Journalism and Mass Comm program. I'm actually kind of shocked. (But very grateful!!!)

Did anyone else hear from them? I have no idea if all acceptances went out at once. My email was addressed to me-- but was otherwise not personalized. It says funding decisions will be out March 5th.

Congrats! I also received the same email. :) I'm very pleased but I will make decisions based on funding.