Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2012--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

I wonder what it's like getting into a program knowing you were a second or third choice. I think I would just be grateful to have a spot.

That thought has crossed my mind too. In the end, they still thought pretty highly of you if you make the final cut. And who knows, you may end up outperforming everyone else by a mile once in the program.

@Ville Congrats!

@Hank Jenkins I saw an acceptance to the Mizzou Journalism Phd program in the results survey. Not sure what program your wife applied to. The Communication school is totally separate from the Mass Comm and Journalism school here (I go to MU)

@scrapster I like your point of view. I think not being the first choice would make me work even harder. I would feel like I have more to prove!

@Ville Congrats!

@Hank Jenkins I saw an acceptance to the Mizzou Journalism Phd program in the results survey. Not sure what program your wife applied to. The Communication school is totally separate from the Mass Comm and Journalism school here (I go to MU)

@scrapster I like your point of view. I think not being the first choice would make me work even harder. I would feel like I have more to prove!

Yeah, I've thought about it too. I suppose it depends on whether you're comfortable knowing that you weren't the top priority for the program. There are a variety of factors that I will consider when ultimately making my decision, I think, and in the end I don't know if I'll be too bothered by it. There is the possibility, after all, that there may be a few people in the world smarter than me :P

Hi @reterik - From what I understand, most programs that have both the Masters and PhD require that you apply for the Masters and then reapply for the PhD once you have the Masters. I had a friend who did this in a sociology programs and found it easy to get into the PhD track because she knew the faculty she wanted to work with and knew the style of the program so well. I say, if you get the Masters from that program, then you will most likely get into the PhD track.

In other news, I've been trying to stay away from forums only because its driving me nuts and I can see I'm not alone in this feeling. I've been waiting for funding news and still havent heard a peep from a couple schools. One school emailed me telling me the professors were having a meeting about the applications and that was two weeks ago...still nothing. So I'm trying to just forget about it because there is nothing I can really do at this point....but it is terribly difficult. Hang in there everyone and congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!! To those who have received rejections, well just have a drink or drinks... =)

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat- apart from the UPenn rejection- I haven't gotten any word from anywhere- even though some of my applications were pretty early deadlines- I think we'll be out of our misery in another week or two, fingers crossed.

@scrapster, in your situation, I would actually go ahead and contact the school DGS or Graduate Admissions Coordinator, and explain that you are under significant pressure to decide about another life opportunity and need to know something by early next week. Be extremely courteous and diplomatic, don't demand an answer but let the program know that you really want to attend if possible, but that a job opportunity has come up and you'd like to make your decision with all of the information. If you want, you can explain the situation you are in (briefly! :) ) but let them know that you need to know something because your choice is essentially between school and no school.

Well, I sent "the email" describing my situation to the grad secretary on Friday (trying to be respectful of the chain of command). Of course I didn't ask for a decision, but simply any information that might help me navigate the choices before me. Remember, I'm not even sure I'm on the wait list, although all logic points in that direction. Hopefully I'll hear back next week.

Of course, I'm completely second-guessing myself now. It didn't help when my sister, a professor on a PhD admissions committee, grimaced slightly when she heard that I sent such an inquiry. Geez, I've worked on campaigns where I've given less scrutiny to every word I've written and every action I've taken. I can see how the the grad school application process can easily veer away from constructive self-assessment to much less healthy places. Hang in there everybody!

@scrapster, don't second guess yourself! In the event that you had applied to other schools and had another offer, you would be well within your rights to let other programs know that you had another offer and were wondering if they could give you some insight on timeline and decisions. This is what my own professor recommended that I do once I had an admit. I did so, and the schools were more than happy to give me timelines, or to tell me my decisions quickly. I don't see your situation being any different just because it's between a job and a school. :) If you don't hear back on Monday, give them a call on Tuesday. Make sure to be kind and courteous. That's probably the biggest mistake people make when they call is act an a*$. <_< Good luck!

FYI - Monday is a holiday and most university administrative offices are closed. With it being admission season, that may not be the case for admission offices....but most professors probably won't be there. Same goes for department staff.

Good to hear that other profs are counseling similar actions. Otherwise, I could easily get into the "Who am I to be asking for special treatment or inside information" frame of mind.

Luckily, I've always been courteous--with both the secretaries and the faculty. (I've been around enough academic departments to know that secretaries are often the key to unlocking many things, and they are often not treated well and paid even less. A little sincere kindness goes a long way!)

Now, I plan to just enjoy my weekend--taking the two week old for his first stroll outside!

I'm worried our forum will soon lose its "hot" status if the silence continues...

What schools are we still waiting to hear from? Looks like UW- Madison is still working on it. Must be reading those 200+ apps super carefully.

I'm worried our forum will soon lose its "hot" status if the silence continues...

What schools are we still waiting to hear from? Looks like UW- Madison is still working on it. Must be reading those 200+ apps super carefully.

I seem to be in the minority in having applied to Albany, but today (Feb 20) is FINALLY the application deadline so I hope to be hearing from them very soon. The saddest part is that I'm already leaning toward another school I've been accepted to, but I don't want to make a decision until I have all of the information in hand, and I know I'd be upset if I went ahead and committed elsewhere and then an offer finally came from Albany that was good. Ah! I would love to know why they have such a late deadline, especially since they don't do rolling admission reviews. It seems to me like it would put them at a disadvantage, since many of the people they extend offers to probably have already accepted elsewhere.

Anyway, that's where I am!

I am, pretty much like gurlsaved, still waiting for the funding decisions from UT Austin and waiting to hear from three other schools I applied to. I heard back from 4 other schools, all rejections, but I wouldn't mind at all if Austin offered me funding because it was one of my top choices and I am super excited and super nervous.

While waiting I am taking nice trips to the different libraries of all Berlin universities and trying to get started on a term paper while finishing up a short seminar paper and an animated movie. So it's not like waiting would be the only thing keeping me busy but it is very distracting and I want it to be over :D

Edited by Saviya

I randomly checked my application status at UMass today and saw that I was officially wait-listed. The change came the same day I sent my inquiry email, so I suspect I may get an email response too after the holiday.

It would be great to have more information (or just be accepted outright :)), but heck, I'm honored that I'm still in consideration. Fingers crossed!

Edited by scrapster

I thought someone heard from UW? It was posted in the results survey a while ago, then confirmed here. Uffda.

I haven't heard from UW, UMinn, UIUC (but a late application deadline, I guess), and IU-Bloomington

IU sent out rejections via postal. A friend of mine was rejected there and got his letter this weekend.

Yup, got mine in the mail on Saturday. The least they could have done was proofread their form letters...

As for UW, I think each area is going at their own speed. I believe the Media area has made offers, but I'm not sure about the others.

Edited by LaBrunaFurba

Welp, that explains it--I'm abroad and my roommate is at home on spring break. Would it be weird if I called/emailed the grad secretary at Indiana to check?

As for UW, hey, that's a relief, I guess...I'm rhetoric, not media. We'll see.

Edited by reterik

Welp, that explains it--I'm abroad and my roommate is at home on spring break. Would it be weird if I called/emailed the grad secretary at Indiana to check?

As for UW, hey, that's a relief, I guess...I'm rhetoric, not media. We'll see.

I don't think it would be weird at all.

If UW is University of Washington, I also was accepted Friday - global/political communication interests. And now I've heard back from everyone so will be far scarcer on the boards for a while while I recover the rest of my life.

I was talking about Wisconsin, but congrats!

So, back from the Northwestern visiting weekend for TSB and MTS candidates. A few notes:

1. One of the current students in TSB who is international told us that she was not invited to the weekend; instead, she did a series of Skype interviews.
  2. One of the professors told us that they do in fact watch what happens on this website. So, beware -- Big Brother is watching! :)

In other news, I wish more schools would give funding decisions with their offers. It would make things so much easier...

I randomly checked my application status at UMass today and saw that I was officially wait-listed. The change came the same day I sent my inquiry email, so I suspect I may get an email response too after the holiday.

It would be great to have more information (or just be accepted outright :)), but heck, I'm honored that I'm still in consideration. Fingers crossed!

I'm glad you finally found something out - fingers crossed for you.