Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2012--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

@ superbygk: Sorry to hear about NYU but as long as you're not too broken up about it I guess it's not too bad.

Have you been waitlisted at USC?

@Saviya, no, I haven't received word about being waitlisted. You and one or two other folks have been waitlisted, yeah? I suppose that's better than an outright rejection; I am prepared for a rejection but of course am hoping for better news. We'll see. And yes, not too broken up about NYU as I think I would be a much better fit in another program. Too bad I will miss out on Broadway and delicious food, though :P .

Does anyone know how stipends work? I understand I will be working 15 hours a week for it but do I get a paycheck or how does it work? I feel so lost!

I have an assistantship for my MA and I receive a stipend in the form of a paycheck from the university each month school is in session. I have mine directly deposited into my bank account. It works just like any other income as far as I know. I have always paid taxes on those earnings.

The graduate office at your school should let you know if the stipend is paid out in a lump sum or if it's made in 9 (possibly 12) monthly installments. I believe it's more common to have it paid in monthly installments. Hope this helps!

I have an assistantship for my MA and I receive a stipend in the form of a paycheck from the university each month school is in session. I have mine directly deposited into my bank account. It works just like any other income as far as I know. I have always paid taxes on those earnings.

The graduate office at your school should let you know if the stipend is paid out in a lump sum or if it's made in 9 (possibly 12) monthly installments. I believe it's more common to have it paid in monthly installments. Hope this helps!

Typically the stipends are paid out over the nine-month appointment as a paycheck. It is taxable income and your pay stubs will show all taxes withheld and you'll get a W2 at the end of the year like you would with any job. You're essentially a university employee during that time. This makes it easier for them to fire you. Most stipends are given under the condition that you maintain a certain academic record and perform specific duties. If you flake out and stop doing your TA work or stop coming to classes, etc., they can take away your assistantship and stipend. If they've already paid it out to you in one lump sum, how could they get the money back? Instead, it's like any other job. If you stop doing the work, you stop getting paid.

Has everyone who has been accepted to/rejected from NYU's Culture and Comm. heard back? I haven't heard anything from them yet. Still waiting on LSE, American.

I'm waiting on American, too. I just e-mailed, though, because they told me I'd hear by the end of the week. Two weeks ago.

This may not be directly related to communication, but I just got an email from the program director in health behavior (with social marketing and health communication track) at GWU that the admissions committee has agreed to accept me but there is no funding whatsoever. So, it's really pointless and now I regret spending over $350 (application fee + test score reports + international transcript verification) to apply to this school. I notice from reading in various forums that GWU does not offer full funding to admitted doctoral students across disciplines. Comparing between fields, most PhD programs in communication also offer full funding, but the same cannot be said for DrPH programs, which are viewed more as a degree for public health professionals. Wonder how people who end up going to GWU manage to come up with means to pay for the tuition fees and living expenses for 4-5 years. Do they decide that shelling out money for first year is a good investment, and they should be able to secure RA/TA or other jobs at GWU in the subsequent years?

Has everyone who has been accepted to/rejected from NYU's Culture and Comm. heard back? I haven't heard anything from them yet. Still waiting on LSE, American.

I'm an NYU MCC admittee -- they take 6, no matter what, so I imagine they have a ranked waitlist of people who might be admitted after the initial admittees accept or decline the offer.

I'm an NYU MCC admittee -- they take 6, no matter what, so I imagine they have a ranked waitlist of people who might be admitted after the initial admittees accept or decline the offer.

Congratulations on your admission to NYU! Did they inform you via phone, email, letter? Just curious as I've been out of town and therefore not near my mailbox.

• 2 weeks later...

heya - this thread is dead. time to revive it!

is anyone else waiting to hear back from USC? I checked my application website and it says I will receive notification of my admission decision soon via postal mail. this is an update since the last time I checked my app status (I think it was last week, the days sort of blur together these days :)).

i was hoping to make a decision by the end of the month, but it could be a game time decision.

Well, I just heard I have been waitlisted by American. That's awesome. But I have already made a decision, anyway! I was deciding between the University of Missouri and UIC, but I chose Mizzou in the end. I don't think I have seen anyone else on the board mention the program there, but please feel free to message me if you're also moving to the middle of Missouri. I'm kind of freaking out about that. :)

heya - this thread is dead. time to revive it!

is anyone else waiting to hear back from USC? I checked my application website and it says I will receive notification of my admission decision soon via postal mail. this is an update since the last time I checked my app status (I think it was last week, the days sort of blur together these days :)).

i was hoping to make a decision by the end of the month, but it could be a game time decision.

From the information I have gathered, that pretty much means you have been rejected. They notified admitted and waitlisted candidates a while ago, and I too have been unable to get a straight answer from them. They said I would hear back by the end of March, but I gave up waiting for the official rejection. The writing was on the wall, you know?

From the information I have gathered, that pretty much means you have been rejected. They notified admitted and waitlisted candidates a while ago, and I too have been unable to get a straight answer from them. They said I would hear back by the end of March, but I gave up waiting for the official rejection. The writing was on the wall, you know?

blerg. we'll see. i cannot help but wait for this notification before moving on to decision making. i saw two years ago in the results page that there was an acceptance in late March via post, so i am not ruling it out. because i know post has now gone out, i'll have to wait to hear from them. i also have a waitlist that i will follow up on if it starts getting close to the deadline.

Here's an oddity: my Rutgers status just changed from "No Decision" to "Under review". It doesn't matter though, since I've already accepted Indiana's offer.

By the way, I know I need to notify other programs who offered me admission about the fact that I've chosen to go elsewhere, but what about a place like Rutgers? Should I tell them they can stop reviewing my application?

I am also waiting to hear from USC (and Maryland...at least USC said I'll find out soon in the mail). I'm new to the forum and am about to graduate undergrad (gpa 3.95- from 2nd best women and gender studies program in US) so a Ph. D may have been too ambitious. I got a great offer from the only master's program i applied to (Syracuse) which I'm very happy with, but I have to let them know my decision soon so I wish these schools would hurry up! Has anyone heard from Maryland since January?

I was just informed that I am now off the wait list at USC! I'm beyond ecstatic but this is somewhat bittersweet, as I have just visited UW and really enjoyed my time with the professors, the doctoral students, the campus and the beautiful city of Seattle. My only hesitation with UW is its financial offer, which seems low given its location. I'm leaning heavily towards accepting an offer at USC now, but need to consult my family and a few other people. Anyway, I hope a few of us who have been waitlisted at USC are now in the same situation as I do. I may see some of you at USC soon!

YAY, I just received an offer from USC and am therefore officially off the wait list! This is so awesome!

Edited by Saviya