Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Hey everyone. I applied to several PhD Anthro programs, some of which seem to have already invited prospective students to interviews and/or sent our rejection letters.

However, I got zip. Nada. Nothing? Neither Yey or Nay...

Anyone in this situation?

I'm referring especially to Duke, Stanford and Yale, for now.

adrem,

I haven't heard anything yet as well and cannot tell what does it mean...

especially Duke and Chicago that have already sent out interview invitations

let's hope they are not inviting all prospective students at the same time and our invitations are on the way

Barnabas, thank you for your reply!

I'm bitting my nails over here.

I feel like I've been already rejected but they just don't care that much about "rejects" to let me know as soon as they let know those accepted...

Hey everyone. I applied to several PhD Anthro programs, some of which seem to have already invited prospective students to interviews and/or sent our rejection letters.

However, I got zip. Nada. Nothing? Neither Yey or Nay...

Anyone in this situation?

I'm referring especially to Duke, Stanford and Yale, for now.

Stanford? Who's heard from Stanford?

Most of my programs stated they notify by March 15... that means five more Fridays! :blink: I have never in my life hated Friday afternoons so much.

The good and the bad is that if you're accepted, you generally know way before March 15. :( ! indeed

Congratulations Berkeley admits! I've been in the department at UCB for 5 years so email if you want some thoughts!

Through the grapevine I know that Berkeley Anthro. made their decisions Thursday. But they might not have emailed everyone yet.

Anthroman... I don't have a MA.

I was just wondering . . . sometimes it seems like an unwritten rule that a person pretty much has to already have a Master's degree to get into top anthropology graduate programs. I wonder what percentage of Ph.D. track admits (at say Stanford, Yale, Harvard, NYU, etc.) come straight from undergraduate studies.

I was just wondering . . . sometimes it seems like an unwritten rule that a person pretty much has to already have a Master's degree to get into top anthropology graduate programs. I wonder what percentage of Ph.D. track admits (at say Stanford, Yale, Harvard, NYU, etc.) come straight from undergraduate studies.

Yes, but it's also a liability at some programs (word on the street is, for example, that NYU generally prefers that candidates not have MAs), so I really don't know that it's a good indicator of everything.

Yeah, it's a hard one. I did a very specific Masters, which I then went on to use professionally. Having known I wanted to do a PhD, I would have found it hard to justify a more general anthropology one, as the coursework is included as part of the PhD program anyway.

It would definitely be really helpful if schools posted a few sample profiles of admitted students as a matter of course. Perhaps in years to come we can make such suggestions!

Anthroman- You are missing a very important variable, fit. You may assume your fit with poi is perfect but they may not think so. Or something I have discovered a couple years ago, one of your recommenders may have made an enemy with an admission committee member. Or someone is just better than you. It happens to everyone. Or you may need a master degree. Who knows. You try your best and that's all you can do.