Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

I applied to the BioAnth PhD program at Penn State. I have no idea when or if they were interveiwing, but according to their website I probably missed the boat. Have you heard anything? Probably won't hear anything back till mid-Feb to Early march.

That was from 2009 or something, though. It wasn't updated to this year... according to the forums, it's about mid-Feb that we should be hearing. Fingers crossed for all of us!!

Hi all,

Ä° am joining the thread today, looking forward to any news from the schools Ä° applied for. Ä°'ve just found out that Stanford sent out a request for interview. Does the department require interview in general? Any comments & information will be welcomed:)

@Nic 42

if you look at the results page from previous years, it's unlikely that Harvard will let you know before end of Feb/beginning of March. And your letter will come in the snail mail. And Columbia, probably the end of March.

Was a bit worried about this, but if you look at the results page, the only 2 acceptances for PhDs in 2011 were on Feb 21st, and then rejections are at the end of March, presumably so they can decide whether to offer you the MA program.

Definitely don't want to hold out on a longshot like Columbia, but hey, I'm getting my acceptance to Stanford next week, right? ;)

gl everyone

Boo Stanford for giving news today but not to me. Emails have been sent to people with interviews for next week. Onward and upwards, Palo Alto is too bougie anyway :P

Hi newleaf: is this information official now? I contacted the department but they didn't get back to me...

Hi newleaf: is this information official now? I contacted the department but they didn't get back to me...

Ya, I've only seen only interview request for Stanford on the results page, does the poster above have any additional info?

Boo Stanford for giving news today but not to me. Emails have been sent to people with interviews for next week. Onward and upwards, Palo Alto is too bougie anyway :P

I met up with a Classics grad student there who had just started his doctoral studies... Talking about $800/mo. for a studiio apartment in the area. Sheesh!

I just got accepted to Brandeis' MA program (applied to as a safety) so at least I'm able to go somewhere. Waiting for UCLA, UofAZ and Harvard though. Siiiigh.

I met up with a Classics grad student there who had just started his doctoral studies... Talking about $800/mo. for a studiio apartment in the area. Sheesh!

I just got accepted to Brandeis' MA program (applied to as a safety) so at least I'm able to go somewhere. Waiting for UCLA, UofAZ and Harvard though. Siiiigh.

U of A is the big one that I'm waiting on too. Why can't life have a fast forward button for times like this?

I think that's cheaper than Berkeley. One bedroom apt is upwards of 1600.

I got the info from a friend who got the email...The dept is notorious for not responding to inquiry. Nothing is ever official unless you get an email in your inbox that tells you it is, from Stanford or otherwise. But if you haven't heard from Stanford now, there is a 90% chance you should let the flame die.

I got the info from a friend who got the email...The dept is notorious for not responding to inquiry. Nothing is ever official unless you get an email in your inbox that tells you it is, from Stanford or otherwise. But if you haven't heard from Stanford now, there is a 90% chance you should let the flame die.

Hi newleaf,

Do we know if the friend is sociocultural or not?

Is there a chance that there is a difference between the different sub fields' procedures?

I think that Cornell waitlist is bogus. Acceptances would go out first.

I was wondering about that too... Does Cornell do interviews? Wouldn't that come first before acceptances? I don't think I'll get accepted there... Andrew Willford was who I was hoping to work with but I don't think the interest is mutual. :(

hey friends, just a heads up: palo alto and berkeley are pretty much the exact same price. except at berkeley you have the option of living in/visiting SF on a regular basis. palo alto is just far enough away that you are sort of stuck in suit and tie corporate land most of the time. i haven't met many people who enjoyed spending their grad years in shallow alto, so make sure and choose wisely.....

I was wondering about that too... Does Cornell do interviews? Wouldn't that come first before acceptances? I don't think I'll get accepted there... Andrew Willford was who I was hoping to work with but I don't think the interest is mutual. :(

I'm not sure about the interview process with Cornell, but I does seem to fit the institution. I received the same response from another faculty member there. It was a polite, yet mildly canned e-mail response. I don't expect an admit, but I don't think waitlisted folks would find out their status first.

I applied to the BioAnth PhD program at Penn State. I have no idea when or if they were interveiwing, but according to their website I probably missed the boat. Have you heard anything? Probably won't hear anything back till mid-Feb to Early march.

I haven't heard anything either, but I think you're right about not hearing back until late Feb/early March.

Also, just an FYI, University of Tennessee is starting their review process at the end of next week!

Hi all,

Any other applicants still yet to receive any word (rejection acceptance or otherwise)? I know it's still technically early-ish, but I'm especially wondering about Duke. Should I be excited that I have yet to be rejected? Any advice from past years?

Thanks!

I don't think Cornell does formal interviews.

Did the Stanford interview request come from the department generally, or from a particular professor?

Hi all, Any other applicants still yet to receive any word (rejection acceptance or otherwise)? I know it's still technically early-ish, but I'm especially wondering about Duke. Should I be excited that I have yet to be rejected? Any advice from past years? Thanks!

I didn't hear about a rejection from Duke until March of last year. My sense was that they do several rounds of deliberation and cut by waves. Its still a waiting game, and not a comfortable one, but maybe chalk it up to still being under consideration?

hey friends, just a heads up: palo alto and berkeley are pretty much the exact same price. except at berkeley you have the option of living in/visiting SF on a regular basis. palo alto is just far enough away that you are sort of stuck in suit and tie corporate land most of the time. i haven't met many people who enjoyed spending their grad years in shallow alto, so make sure and choose wisely.....

As someone who has a very great love for Berkeley, look at the hiring history. You're better off at Stanford. Unless a 40 minute public transport ride to SF is what it takes to make you feel like: OMG I TOTALLY LIVED UP MY GRADUATE YEARS BY GOING TO SAN FRANCISCO AND SEEING OFF-BROADWAY SHOWS AND GOING TO NON SLUTTY INTERESTING LOUNGES AND SEEING ART AND THE MOMA AND ALSO NOT HAVING ANY FUNDING BUT IM A BOSS AND I LOVE MYSELF, and that makes you happy, then go for it. Michigan is still a top department in our discipline; do you think people go to Ann Arbor to have fun? They to go to train to be anthropologists. If location/distractions matter that much for you that you can't sacrifice that much for the discipline now, what makes you think that you'll take the only job offer you get as an untenured professor at Boise State after a phd in anthro? Yes it fucking sucks ass, but that's the harsh shitty reality of higher education now. Either take it, or continue to use it as a placebo against schools you weren't competitive at. Your choice, academe couldn't care less.

I didn't hear about a rejection from Duke until March of last year. My sense was that they do several rounds of deliberation and cut by waves. Its still a waiting game, and not a comfortable one, but maybe chalk it up to still being under consideration?

Thanks distantwizard! Yeah my main issue is setting short-term expectations ("there's no way I won't hear by next friday, literally none, amirite??") as opposed to accepting that longer timeframe. I will just continue leaving the apartment for every possible excuse so that I don't laptop-mope too much, oi!

As someone who has a very great love for Berkeley, look at the hiring history. You're better off at Stanford. Unless a 40 minute public transport ride to SF is what it takes to make you feel like: OMG I TOTALLY LIVED UP MY GRADUATE YEARS BY GOING TO SAN FRANCISCO AND SEEING OFF-BROADWAY SHOWS AND GOING TO NON SLUTTY INTERESTING LOUNGES AND SEEING ART AND THE MOMA AND ALSO NOT HAVING ANY FUNDING BUT IM A BOSS AND I LOVE MYSELF, and that makes you happy, then go for it. Michigan is still a top department in our discipline; do you think people go to Ann Arbor to have fun? They to go to train to be anthropologists. If location/distractions matter that much for you that you can't sacrifice that much for the discipline now, what makes you think that you'll take the only job offer you get as an untenured professor at Boise State after a phd in anthro? Yes it fucking sucks ass, but that's the harsh shitty reality of higher education now. Either take it, or continue to use it as a placebo against schools you weren't competitive at. Your choice, academe couldn't care less.

sure sure. hiring. i'm applying to berkeley bio anth, so stanford really has no competition in that field. then again, what's the point of living somewhere miserable for 5-9 years just in the hopes that your program still has the best hiring rates when you get out? caffeinated indeed: have you spent much time in palo alto, because that is the definition of misery. also, most berkeley students i know just live in the city and take the 35-40 minute ride into berkeley when they have classes = idyllic. better than driving the hour north just go to a decent bar on the weekend because everyone you know is either wearing a suit or wants to pound their head against the wall. just opinions though.