Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

I don't think west coast makes you less competitive. It all depends on your background and your presentation to the adcom. Don't stress too much yet!

i guess you're right jerzygrl! CUNY contacted me this weekend, and it looks like i'm headed out to NYC on an all-expenses paid weekend = it feels so good!

@babybiobabe: I'd like to second what Anthroman said(!), and kindly ask you whether you were contacted by e-mail or phone. I've been having phone reception issues, and am also waiting to hear back from CUNY. Also, were you accepted and are being invited to a visit campus weekend, or is this for an interview? Thanks!

Edited by andrade831

@babybiobabe: I'd like to second what Anthroman said(!), and kindly ask you whether you were contacted by e-mail or phone. I've been having phone reception issues, and am also waiting to hear back from CUNY. Also, were you accepted and are being invited to a visit campus weekend, or is this for an interview? Thanks!

hey decaf - i got an email from my potential advisor. and it's definitely for an interview, but with the intention of convincing me to accept them should they accept me. there are 2 weekends scheduled upcoming at the month turnover. oh, and i think they are just starting to contact people, so good luck!

Edited by baybiobabe

Thanks distantwizard! Yeah my main issue is setting short-term expectations ("there's no way I won't hear by next friday, literally none, amirite??") as opposed to accepting that longer timeframe. I will just continue leaving the apartment for every possible excuse so that I don't laptop-mope too much, oi!

I hear ya. Last year the program I got into (and eventually joined) alerted me in mid-February, but my formal rejections didn't show up until March. One of those rejections came from my alma mater where I was still attending undergrad, and I learned that what they had done was just rejected waves based on how far they got in the decision process. But then my current program now has their list of people even though they haven't sent out an decisions at all. When you hear depends so much on 1) the academic calendar of the school and 2)how big the applicant pool is and how they sift through it. My bit of advice is to get your mind off it. Its out of your hands, so you may as well have some fun till you hear!

i guess you're right jerzygrl! CUNY contacted me this weekend, and it looks like i'm headed out to NYC on an all-expenses paid weekend = it feels so good!

This is so awesome! Congrats Biobabe! I hope you have a great trip. But bring a coat... it's freakin cold in NYC right now ;)

Make sure you find a grad student to befriend and take you out to the Village one night for some fun :D

Someone posted a rejection from Princeton on the results page, are you here?

Has anyone else heard something from them?

Also, wanted to chime in on this. Princeton decisions have not gone out yet. I can't really say much more than that, but it shouldn't be all that long before the letters do go out.

Hi,

I am Applying for Cultural Anthropology PhD at following fro this coming Fall:... Anyone hear from any of these programs yet??? if so, do you have any helpful info?

American University

Arizona state university

Boston University

University of Georgia

University of Montana

hey decaf - i got an email from my potential advisor. and it's definitely for an interview, but with the intention of convincing me to accept them should they accept me. there are 2 weekends scheduled upcoming at the month turnover. oh, and i think they are just starting to contact people, so good luck!

Congrats on the interview! are you the Bio Anth interview on the results page?

I've been awol for a little while - looks like it's all heating up! Saw that there has been an NYU interview - does anyone know whether interviews are for all subfields, or just bio/arch? I am social/cultural and vaguely had the impression that they don't interview at NYU for that. If anyone knows/has an opinion either way, I would appreciate hearing it!

Edited by leapfrog

Also, wanted to chime in on this. Princeton decisions have not gone out yet. I can't really say much more than that, but it shouldn't be all that long before the letters do go out.

Your vaguely criptic message reminds me of those guys who walk around with signs that say "the end is near" :D We all know the decisions are coming soon.... this just adds fuel to our already burning anxiety!

Your vaguely criptic message reminds me of those guys who walk around with signs that say "the end is near" :D We all know the decisions are coming soon.... this just adds fuel to our already burning anxiety!

Sorry, I just wanted to make sure people didn't think that Princeton rejection in the results was an indicator of anything. S/he probably called admissions and found out a little ahead of time. If you haven't heard from Princeton, nothing's wrong at all. I know what its like to watch the results survey and think that because I haven't heard anything and others have that something is a miss.

I just got an email from the POI and the formal offer was attached. I applied for sociocultural. I really think they are just sending out letters though. I really hope you get in newleaf! Best of luck!!!

Thanks homie! Congrats on your acceptance :D!

EDIT:

GOT A PHONE CALL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by newleaf

Just got a rejection from Michigan. I'm not surprised that I wasn't accepted; my personal statement was about as generic as their rejection letter. But I am surprised that rejections are going out before acceptances. Is this typical?

Just got a rejection from Michigan. I'm not surprised that I wasn't accepted; my personal statement was about as generic as their rejection letter. But I am surprised that rejections are going out before acceptances. Is this typical?

Man these decisions have brought my productivity to a screeching halt today.

This is the first time I've heard of a dept giving out bad news before good news. Granted there might have been acceptances who simply haven't posted, but that seems unlikely. I have a friend who I thought was a VERY strong candidate, and he got a rejection too about an hour or so ago. Its ok, you have bigger and better things in store for your than Ann Arbor.

Is anyone else wondering about that ASU acceptance? Not to sound stalker-ish, but it was there when I looked at 7:30 am (6:30 in Tempe). Doesn't this seem an odd time to get an acceptance e-mail (especially on a Monday)? Makes me wonder if it's real. If it is, congrats to the acceptee! And more waiting and refreshing for me...

wierd how there's only been the one Stanford interview request and no other acceptances/rejections posted.

If the poster of those results is here, what field did you get the inteview in and did it seem like the interview was a part of the normal proces? Cause they don't seem to have done interviews in previous years.