Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

I'm still waiting to hear from CUNY, Columbia and Rutgers (all cultural). I'm wondering if spots have already been offered and I'm just waiting for a rejection at this point or if I should still hold out hope? Are any of these programs doing interviews? Thanks!

I finally heard from UCLA! Got a call last night, sending out packets next week. Full finding and all that stuff. POI said it was a small pool from almost 200 students. When I did the math it was about 5%. Scary!! Still think I'm dreaming hahha

Good luck everyone!

Hey! Please check your personal messenger out! I sent a message.

Hey! i'm going too... which wknd will you be going? And is this a meet and greet for the short list or what?

i am going for the early march weekend. they said congratulations, but they never said i was admitted, so i'm thinking this is a shortlist weekend....? what about you k-tray?

i am going for the early march weekend. they said congratulations, but they never said i was admitted, so i'm thinking this is a shortlist weekend....? what about you k-tray?

Same deal for me... I had a phone interview as well and they seem really interested. I am not entirely sure what to expect! I am going next wknd though - they said there are 4-5 people coming for each of the 2 wknds, and local students visited last friday so it is a fairly small pool but who knows how many spots they have available!?

Also, any word for any bioanth ppl at NYU? The acceptances going up are worrisome...

Edited by k-tray

Also, any word for any bioanth ppl at NYU? The acceptances going up are worrisome...

I haven't heard anything about NYU....although I'm kind of just assuming that they talk to eachother and either joint interview on one weekend, or have a school place dibs on a candidate. Was NYU your 1st choice? Are you coming from the East or the West?

I haven't heard anything about NYU....although I'm kind of just assuming that they talk to eachother and either joint interview on one weekend, or have a school place dibs on a candidate. Was NYU your 1st choice? Are you coming from the East or the West?

I was told I may meet some NYU profs at a NYCEP function that is happening while I am there, so that would be good. I hope we are still considered for both! NYU is my top choice over CUNY due mostly to funding - I am Canadian (Western Canada) and many school have less funding for international student but not NYU. CUNY is a great program with great faculty so if they can muster up some reasonable funding than they are definitely tied with NYU for my top choice.

What about you? Is NYU your top choice?

I was told I may meet some NYU profs at a NYCEP function that is happening while I am there, so that would be good. I hope we are still considered for both! NYU is my top choice over CUNY due mostly to funding - I am Canadian (Western Canada) and many school have less funding for international student but not NYU. CUNY is a great program with great faculty so if they can muster up some reasonable funding than they are definitely tied with NYU for my top choice.

What about you? Is NYU your top choice?

Well, I'm a West Coast girl at heart, so I don't know if I can make it in big, bad NYC. That's mostly why I'm heading out to the weekend = to check it out. I already have a solid admit under my belt, so I'm not really fretting about the interview portion of it. Hmmm about the funding though. Not sure if it's different for international students, but as far as I know, both programs are fully funded. CUNY vs. NYU = what's the real difference? Just faculty, right? And maybe some name power?

To the person who posted the Cornell rejection. Were you contacted by the DGS and sent a form letter or did you inquire about your applicatin status and received the news that way? I'm still waiting to hear from them either way. I don't know if they are finished sendin out acceptances. Anyone with information, please share!

To the person who posted the Cornell rejection. Were you contacted by the DGS and sent a form letter or did you inquire about your applicatin status and received the news that way? I'm still waiting to hear from them either way. I don't know if they are finished sendin out acceptances. Anyone with information, please share!

Hi, are you applying for cultural anthro?

If so, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but all acceptances and waitlists have been sent out, and if you have not heard from cornell cultural anthro yet, do not expect to get any good news from them at this point.

I saw someone got accepted to UC irvine. Congrats! Could you tell us how you found out? Do you know if all the decisions were made?

Hi! Sorry for late reply! I just signed up for membership... I got a call from Michael Montoya! He was great, funding for 5 years, guaranteed access to on campus housing, health care and a stipend. Not sure if all admits have gone out though! I haven't gotten the "official email." Visiting weekend is scheduled for March 23rd-24th.

Edited by shackycarmine

On 2/19/2012 at 1:49 PM, sabrinamichelle said:

I am (not so) patiently waiting on Washington University in St. Louis and UPenn. Anyone heard anything? I'm on the edge of my seat.

Congratulations to those with offers! Well done.

I also applied to Penn for cultural anthropology and have had zero news. Best of luck!

If any of the CUNY cultural anth acceptances are around, did you interview for them before being accepted?

I did not have a CUNY interview per se. A quick chat with POI last week and then email from department today. I think they are still making decisions, with final meeting happening March 12.

Well, I'm a West Coast girl at heart, so I don't know if I can make it in big, bad NYC. That's mostly why I'm heading out to the weekend = to check it out. I already have a solid admit under my belt, so I'm not really fretting about the interview portion of it. Hmmm about the funding though. Not sure if it's different for international students, but as far as I know, both programs are fully funded. CUNY vs. NYU = what's the real difference? Just faculty, right? And maybe some name power?

Congrats on the acceptance elsewhere! I wish I was going with a solid backup! ... perhaps I wouldn't be so nervous. Funding is an issue for internationals at CUNY - but i won't know until they make an offer! I argee that the main difference is the name recognition but that's not really an issue for me - both far exceed my undergrad school in that category!

For those who have gotten accepted/rejected, I am wondering if your online application reflects the decision.

I am so paranoid my spam filter is going to deceive me so I am constantly checking it, but still would like to know if the application itself will lend any info.

Thanks and good luck to all!

hey "oceanmetland"!

I was similarly paranoid about my spam filter before I heard back from places... I've been rejected from two different places. Neither rejection was reflected in the online application (one was using the "applyyourself" program and the other was via the school's own website). Each came in an email that had an attachment pdf letter, so i don't think its likely to be filed as spam.

Best of luck! Don't worry, they're probably just taking their time putting together an amazing funding package for you ;)

What I don't understand is why I HAVENT gotten my rejection letters from Cornell and Chicago yet! If people have already starting getting acceptances and rejections, via email, then where are mine? I am 95% sure I am not accepted (no interview, no responses from POIs), so why haven't they just sent me the rejection already??

It feels like I've got my head on the block and the executioner hasn't shown up yet, but I KNOW he's coming!!

I was talking with a professor of mine and he explained that most schools do acceptances and rejections in waves. IE- if you haven't received an acceptance or rejection and other people have, you've hopefully made it through the first round :)

I was talking with a professor of mine and he explained that most schools do acceptances and rejections in waves. IE- if you haven't received an acceptance or rejection and other people have, you've hopefully made it through the first round :)

Ahhh. So that's how it works. Someone else had also said the same to me, but I wondered if they were just trying to ease my pain. Thanks laurissimo :)

I did not have a CUNY interview per se. A quick chat with POI last week and then email from department today. I think they are still making decisions, with final meeting happening March 12.

Thanks for the info and congratulations on the great programs you got into!

One person has been accepted by UPenn, and one person has been rejected. I haven't received any email. Is that one more example of the trickling down of results as described by Laurissimo, or is it just that these people contacted their POIs?

Not that I'm hopeful (I'm really not) but it would be nice to know, and I'd be very happy if anyone could give me some information :)