Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

I have a question, and I hope anyone can shed some light.

If I have not heard anything from Harvard (Anthropology and MES), does it mean that I have not been admitted? I did contact a couple of individuals in the department, and I received the same reply: official results will be sent by the Graduate School.

Do you think they are avoiding to be the bearers of bad news? Or should I still have some hope?

Any feedback would be great!! Especially from people that were accepted to Harvard, is there a possible way to get accepted without receiving informal notification?

Thanks.

Jake.

This probably is a rarity, but I never ever received a rejection from Tulane when I applied there in 2009. When I contacted my POI in March, she told me that I had been accepted, but emailed me a couple days later to tell me that she was going off of meeting notes from the first round of application reviews, and that they had ultimately decided against admitting me (I'm not kidding, the subject of her email was "My Bad," soooo heartbreaking!). And ... then I never heard anything from them again; no official rejection, no letter, no email, nothing. I know someone else who applied for a MA program, never heard from them again, and then received a letter in the mail letting her know that she had been accepted ... three years later. Ah, the fun we put ourselves through!

I used to work for graduate studies in UG, and our policy was that the admissions decisions were sent to us from the departments, and we were responsible for sending out the appropriate letters/forms. So, as others have suggested, it's possible that some admits/wait listed people have been informally contacted, and official letters are in the mail. If they've sent out admits and rejections, I say it's probably okay to email your contact in the department to see what's going on. If nothing else, you'll be sure where they are in the decision-making process if they can't give you a definitive answer.

Hope this helps! :)

Worst nightmare - I would be so sad. She gave you just enough time to tell everyone you know then take it back!

Hey everyone :)

I'm a bit off-topic, but there's a question I wanted to ask. Is it possible for schools never to send you a rejection email/letter?

Acceptances for two of the schools I applied to came out last week, and I didn't hear a thing, which means I didn't get in (according to people on the Grad Café, all admitted students have been told). But do you think it's possible that they'll never tell me? That they'll just throw my file without bothering with an email or status update? Do I have to email them to get the confirmation that I've been rejected? It's just that I want to tell my advisor and she won't believe me if I tell her that I found out through Grad Café. She always thought I'd get in everywhere (but I've only got rejections so far).

Another of my schools, U Arizona, has accepted some students and rejected some students last week. Again, I haven't heard a thing. Does it mean I can count myself out? If I haven't had any positive news... Should I email or patiently wait?

Sorry to annoy you with my stupid concerns... I just want to move on with my life :)

I still don't think U of A has actually sent out official acceptances (unless someone wants to claim it). I was just asked to fill out a scholarship app by Friday if I hadn't already done it (that's my post on the results). At the very least, they have not figured out their funding. They don't normally notify until pretty late (second week of March last year), so don't start worrying yet. If I hear anything more about what is going on, I'll let you know.

As for other schools, it took nearly 3 weeks for two of my rejections to come after interview invites were sent out. They will tell you...eventually. Sometimes I wonder if adcoms enjoy knowing how we suffer waiting for rejections.

I have a question, and I hope anyone can shed some light.

If I have not heard anything from Harvard (Anthropology and MES), does it mean that I have not been admitted? I did contact a couple of individuals in the department, and I received the same reply: official results will be sent by the Graduate School.

Do you think they are avoiding to be the bearers of bad news? Or should I still have some hope?

Any feedback would be great!! Especially from people that were accepted to Harvard, is there a possible way to get accepted without receiving informal notification?

Thanks.

Jake.

Hey Jake--sent you a pm in response. It should be in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.

Hey Jake--sent you a pm in response. It should be in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.

Hi Thepoetsdaughter,

Can I also have your opinions or info on this? I'm caught in grilling suspense too... thanks a lot!!

Edited by 306 & 100

Anyone any info on Boston University???

I just saw on the results page

Boston University (BU)Archaeology (Classical), PhD (F12) they were accepted today via email I believe.

If you are the accepted person I would love it if you could pm me, I applied to for old-world (as they put it) historical archaeology concentration and it's the only school I could apply to due to lack of money. I've almost accepted that I will probably be rejected and have a plan for next year but any tips or suggestions would be great :)

I still don't think U of A has actually sent out official acceptances (unless someone wants to claim it). I was just asked to fill out a scholarship app by Friday if I hadn't already done it (that's my post on the results). At the very least, they have not figured out their funding. They don't normally notify until pretty late (second week of March last year), so don't start worrying yet. If I hear anything more about what is going on, I'll let you know.

As for other schools, it took nearly 3 weeks for two of my rejections to come after interview invites were sent out. They will tell you...eventually. Sometimes I wonder if adcoms enjoy knowing how we suffer waiting for rejections.

Huh, interesting, thanks for the info and good luck to you.

And to you and all the other U of A applicants, whether or not I am admitted I do happen to be an Arizona native, so if any one gets in and has questions about Tucson I'd be more than happy to chat =)

GWU Masters people - has anyone gotten any funding?

I got my masters at GW. With the new PhD program, the odds of you getting funding are slim. Anyone who had funding had it as a TA, and all that funding is now going to the PhD admits. There are other non-department funding opportunities however. PM me if you want to know more.

I have a question for the group... How many of you are in Master's programs applying to PhD programs? My undergraduate GPA wasn't so great, so I figured that if I finished a Master's program first my chances for getting into a good school for a PhD would improve significantly. I also thought that maybe I could out-compete a lot of applicants because they would only have Bachelor's degrees.

However, it appears as though I've been chatting with people who have Master's degrees on here! This makes me nervous, because I don't think I can "out-compete" you guys, lol.

Also, I'm more used to dealing with science-y programs, where going from bachelor's to PhD is standard now. In anthropology, it must be more common to get a master's then apply for a PhD. Or is that just for cultural, not biological?

I got my master's first, mostly because I tried applying to a couple PhD programs right away and got rejected (low GPA, low GRE, no experience). So after that I regrouped and found MA programs that offered spring admission. I didn't want to wait an entire year to try again for MA programs. An MA isn't necessary, people get accepted without it, but its good to have some type of research experience on your record. It might be different with bioanth too (I'm cultural).

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything from University of Colorado Boulder? I had an informal Skype interview with a POI on February 10th and (in typical flakey anthropologist fashion!) I was told that they would make decisions in "One week...or two weeks...or a month."

Re: Penn State

As suspected, recruitment and interviews have already taken place for BioAnthro. Rejections will be mailed out tomorrow. I'll be getting one of those :-/

Were you the one who emailed and asked?

re CUNY, from assistant program officer:

The cultural subfield is the largest in our program and receives the majority of applications, which means that the decisions for cultural anthropology require a longer timeframe. My understanding is that the admissions committee for cultural anthropology will report a first round of decisions by the end of the week; these are reported to the admissions office, which then sends out notices to applicants as soon as possible. Because my office is not usually involved in these communications directly, we do not necessarily know when notices have gone out - so I’m afraid that I can’t be more specific, but I hope this general explanation of the process is helpful.

It would be fantastic if there is a deluge of news tomorrow...the sharp differences in notification dates make it difficult to coordinate visitations/decisions/tears

Amen to that! It's difficult to schedule a nervous breakdown about your future when you have no idea at what point you should officially give up hope =P

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything from University of Colorado Boulder? I had an informal Skype interview with a POI on February 10th and (in typical flakey anthropologist fashion!) I was told that they would make decisions in "One week...or two weeks...or a month."

I'm kinda/sorta a student at UC-Boulder, and the only information that I've heard so far is that there were 104 applicants this year between the three subdisciplines. I think this is a little less than the past couple of years, so they should be mailing out decisions soon. Also, probably a large percentage of those students are applying for the MA programs rather than a PhD, so that may make some difference. They like to have their decsisions mailed before spring break; I believe it was the first week of March in 2009 when I got in. Hope this helps!

Out of curiousity, who did you interview with?