Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Khacker, I emailed the department yesterday and got an answer back from an administrator who said she wasn't involved in the process too closely, but she mentioned that some letters had been sent out on Monday and the remaining ones would go out tomorrow. She said if we don't know by next week, we should get in touch with folks there again. Only thing is, I am not sure if the "letters" she means will come via email or as actual physical letters...we'll see...hang in there!

I'm kinda/sorta a student at UC-Boulder, and the only information that I've heard so far is that there were 104 applicants this year between the three subdisciplines. I think this is a little less than the past couple of years, so they should be mailing out decisions soon. Also, probably a large percentage of those students are applying for the MA programs rather than a PhD, so that may make some difference. They like to have their decsisions mailed before spring break; I believe it was the first week of March in 2009 when I got in. Hope this helps!

Out of curiousity, who did you interview with?

Great, thanks for the info! That's interesting that there were fewer applications this year. I applied to the MA program and I had a brief Skype chat with Gerardo Gutierrez. I liked him a lot and definitely came away feeling enthused about the program, so I'm hoping I get in. I also did my undergrad in Colorado and have since moved away, but I would love to go back!

clear1x1.gifclear1x1.gif

Thanks Polanthro! Good luck to you. Are you a PhD or Master's applicant?

I applied for the PhD, thought it was the perfect fit for me since Syracuse is so strong in South Asia studies. Not feeling too hopeful now, though, to be honest (though I may get a pleasant surprise). What about you?

I applied for the PhD, thought it was the perfect fit for me since Syracuse is so strong in South Asia studies. Not feeling too hopeful now, though, to be honest (though I may get a pleasant surprise). What about you?

I applied Master's, also because of the South Asia connection. I did some fieldwork in India a year ago for my B.A. thesis. They have some great sounding faculty members at Syracuse with interests right up my alley.

Is the person who posted the UNLV rejection on here? If so, could you tell me how you received notification? My online application still says "Forwarded to Department for Review." Thanks (and best of luck with your other apps)

I received an e-mail yesterday with a generic letter attached. Fifty applicants for 15 spots... I think that is what made the rejection even worse! Best of luck to you!

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! How did you find out?

They mailed the rejection letter to my permanent address. Which means I didn't even see it, my parents got to read it over the phone to me, hah. It's ok though, I've got offers from two other schools.

Quiet today. I'm really curious about the UC Boulder admit- if whoever posted that reads this, it'd be great if you could let me know what subfield you are, etc.

Well, I went ahead and answered my own question by emailing them. Just in case anyone else is interested, I was told that they are in the final stages of reviewing applications and I'll probably hear early next week. That doesn't really clarify why there was an admit posted yesterday, but oh well!

Hi all, I got an offer from Syracuse yesterday morning. Incredibly nice email, saying that they nominated me for the FLAS and were even willing to pay for me to attend a language institute this summer to learn the language I need for my fieldwork. No word on funding for the school year though, which will be a deal breaker for me. Could anybody give me a sense of how this program is regarded, what students go on to do typically, if they know anything about Syracuse as a city at all...? Any information or input is welcome!

congrats to the UCSD admits! would any one of you be willing to post or PM me saying whether the emails were individualized or all sent out simultaneously?

Thx! :)

Mine, at least, seemed like part of a mass mailing. It was not sent from anyone in the department but from the Dean of Graduate Studies.

Anyone heard from UT Austin? Radio silence on the "Results Survey"....I have been in touch with UCSD-will be sending out official acceptances probably next week, in case you're interested....

I am beginning to think this year is a total re-do for me (I have not been called for any interviews, and have one rejection under my belt), but I am still holding out a little more hope for UT Austin. If anyone has any info on this school's timeline, that would be great. Do they conduct interviews, contact prospectives, etc? Has anyone "here" been in touch with anyone "there"?

Thanks!