Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Is it really slow today?

I completely believed that today would be the day that I would get actual, concrete, solid, for real information ... and then, gutter ball. How much longer can this possibly go on? (Although, it looks like Northwestern's admits/wait lists went out today, so I'll probably get linked to a denial form from them in the next day or so.)

How is everyone who has yet to hear anything--positive or negative--managing in the meantime? New hobbies? Wearing out your mobile devices checking your email? Rewatching all of your favorite/most comforting movies?

I completely believed that today would be the day that I would get actual, concrete, solid, for real information ... and then, gutter ball. How much longer can this possibly go on? (Although, it looks like Northwestern's admits/wait lists went out today, so I'll probably get linked to a denial form from them in the next day or so.)

How is everyone who has yet to hear anything--positive or negative--managing in the meantime? New hobbies? Wearing out your mobile devices checking your email? Rewatching all of your favorite/most comforting movies?

Haha I feel your pain. No new hobbies, but I am working on numerous plan b's that somehow seem even more unrealistic than my plan a of going to grad school, haha. Get rejected from my top choice? Nevermind, I'll just go be a rock star instead.

Also going crazy in this waiting game. 3 rejects, 3 to go. Just enough to knock the wind out of my sails, not enough to let me give up hope and come up with a realistic plan for next year. I've started guitar lessons, joined a spin class and a pilates class, and started doing the Insanity workout program. And somehow I still spend 75% of each day refreshing my email.

puh.

New hobby = checking email in excess of 200 times/day. I'm getting really good at it.

Only applied to two schools, haven't heard from either one.

Every time I see an e-mail on my phone I freak the hell out. Gradcafe admission results webpage is refreshed every two seconds in fact, my boyfriend just laughed at me "Are you on gradcafe again!???." I've also started to psychologically counsel myself, "It's okay if you don't get accepted, another year of trying isn't so bad." But the thought of having to get a real job in the real world terrifies me.

I don't have any new hobbies, trying to keep productive with my master's thesis. But I feel as though I'm less productive waiting to hear back...

Every time I see an e-mail on my phone I freak the hell out. Gradcafe admission results webpage is refreshed every two seconds in fact, my boyfriend just laughed at me "Are you on gradcafe again!???." I've also started to psychologically counsel myself, "It's okay if you don't get accepted, another year of trying isn't so bad." But the thought of having to get a real job in the real world terrifies me.

I don't have any new hobbies, trying to keep productive with my master's thesis. But I feel as though I'm less productive waiting to hear back...

another bio kid. which schools are you applying to?

Your situation sounds similar to mine! My boyfriend has threatened to block the internet from my computer so that I have to work on my thesis! I have to remind him that it won't work because I have so many other ways to access the internet without the computer. Hah! I feel like every week I don't hear anything, the less productive I am for my thesis... It's horrible. And now it's at the point where I don't even want to look at it anymore!

My "new" hobby I guess is just looking for jobs in case I don't get accepted this year. More applications. Yay. Anyway, good luck on your thesis and I hope we all hear back soon!

I got accepted to NIU!

I noticed one other person did too--if the other person is considering going and reading this, we should talk. It's my second choice out of the two right now, but still!

Congrats! I'm there now as an UG :)

CUNY, NYU admits = any news for the rest of us? Especially NYCEP folks? Thanks!!!!

I assume I got rejected from NYU since I've had no news either way. As far as CUNY, I was accepted for cultural so not sure about other fields, but I believe final decisions are now scheduled for March 2nd.

Has anyone heard from Rutgers bio anthropology?? I saw a couple posts from cultural but nothing from bio yet.

It looks like some acceptances were sent on February 8 to both bio and cultural applicants, according to search. I was waitlisted for cultural yesterday. Best of luck!

It looks like some acceptances were sent on February 8 to both bio and cultural applicants, according to search. I was waitlisted for cultural yesterday. Best of luck!

Congratulations!! I know being waitlisted isn't ideal, but you're still in the game.

Not sure how, but I must have missed the bio acceptance. Oh well, it was a long shot anyway.

Thanks and good luck!

Has anyone gotten declines from Missouri or Minnesota? I saw some acceptances from phone calls but haven't seen much activity since. I'm wondering where they are in their decisions. These are the primary schools I'm interested in. Any insight would be most appreciated!!!! Oh, I'm archaeology if that helps!

another bio kid. which schools are you applying to?

I am a bio kid, but I'd actually consider myself to be a molecular anthropologist. I only applied to two schools: Penn State and SUNY Binghamton. Those were honestly the only two programs I felt were compatible with my interests: genomics, populations genetics... I personally think they'd be insane not to take me... I have so much lab research experience and great references. But of course, my GRE scores and undergraduate GPA sucks (Master's GPA is acceptable though).

I've been very very lucky with getting jobs and getting into schools... It might take me longer than academically gifted GPA/GRE scholars, but I still end up in the same places they do. I'll get my way sooner or later :-)

Your situation sounds similar to mine! My boyfriend has threatened to block the internet from my computer so that I have to work on my thesis! I have to remind him that it won't work because I have so many other ways to access the internet without the computer. Hah! I feel like every week I don't hear anything, the less productive I am for my thesis... It's horrible. And now it's at the point where I don't even want to look at it anymore!

My "new" hobby I guess is just looking for jobs in case I don't get accepted this year. More applications. Yay. Anyway, good luck on your thesis and I hope we all hear back soon!

I noticed that you're still waiting on 7 more places???? Awful. I'm resentful over the fact that Harvard has already responded to applicants, but not state schools, lol.

I'm slightly put off by my thesis project right now... I have three different advisers on three different campuses. One of them in a different state is supposed to correlate my data with his, and he keeps saying my project is next... I can start on some things, but it's weird for me to start my thesis not quite knowing what my results are. What's more important to me is that I've been promised a first author publication but I need his data! (I've never been a team player for a reason...) And finally, my main adviser is impossible to get a meeting with right now. If a thesis is supposed like a 100 pages, I don't have a clue what to fill it with at the moment.

Best of luck with the thesis... Set yourself up a time table of thesis-writing goals. I plan on doing that as soon as I figure out what's supposed to go into thesis :-)

Edited by AlternateAllele