Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Another day, another complete lack of information (well, that's not completely accurate; I was rejected from Northwestern over the weekend. At least it's something!). Based on the past year's results survey and the fact that there's been admits posted to the results page, I'm guessing that my rejection from Temple is still a few weeks in coming - they seem to wait a ridiculously long time to let us down, haha.

But does anyone have any information on American U? My application is still listed as "submitted" and although they've sent out a few rejections a couple of weeks ago, I haven't seen a single admit yet. Does anyone know how their process works? My last hope ... :)

But does anyone have any information on American U? My application is still listed as "submitted" and although they've sent out a few rejections a couple of weeks ago, I haven't seen a single admit yet. Does anyone know how their process works? My last hope ... :)

I am also waiting on American. I have an acquaintance (grad student) in the department and emailed her last Friday to see if she had any information. I don't know much about their process, but they fully fund around 4 or fewer students per year. Some who are rejected from the PhD program will be accepted into the MA (Public Anthropology) program. I may email Dr. Leap or my primary POI if I can't take the waiting this week. Best of luck!

I am also waiting on American. I have an acquaintance (grad student) in the department and emailed her last Friday to see if she had any information. I don't know much about their process, but they fully fund around 4 or fewer students per year. Some who are rejected from the PhD program will be accepted into the MA (Public Anthropology) program. I may email Dr. Leap or my primary POI if I can't take the waiting this week. Best of luck!

Thanks for the information! Since it sounds like my POI will not be staying at AU, it's probably not too likely that I'll be hearing good news from them, but something is better than nothing! :) Good luck, and please let me know if you find anything out.

Has anyone heard anything from UPitt or UConn?

@whoneedsfreetime: I was one of the rejections from WashU. :( My application page redirected me to the decision letter when I hit status. If you don't see that yet it might be good news!

@rendonmana - I received official acceptance from Pitt over the weekend, after prior email correspondence with POI earlier in February, and am the overly excited lone Pittsburgh anthropology poster on the results page for 2012. Good luck to you!

@rendonmana - I received official acceptance from Pitt over the weekend, after prior email correspondence with POI earlier in February, and am the overly excited lone Pittsburgh anthropology poster on the results page for 2012. Good luck to you!

Did you get your acceptance letter by email or mail? I saw your post in the results page. Can't believe its the only one. Hopefully everyone else will hear back soon.

rendonmana - were you applying for bioanthro...and what area of specialization if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck with UPitt and UConn!

Thank you! I applied for the Medical Anthropology program in both of them.

Got rejection from CUNY today - anyone have any insight into the CUNY process?

They seem to have cut first, then accepted bunch and now a bunch of waitlists/rejects - wondering if this means I made the first cut at least. I already have a good offer to stay in Canada probably wouldn't have gone anyways, but would like to know where I stand in my US applications.

Looks like I'm rejected from everywhere in the US apart from BU, assuming silence from Stanford, Columbia, NYU (Soc), and Chicago means I'm out - but why couldn't they just tell me already?

My sense is that the CUNY process happens in stages in the way you are describing it. While I heard from the program early, in an informal way I didn't get my official acceptance letter and the funding package until two days ago. I think some of it has to do with the limited fellowships/funding they can give out and it seems like with other public institutions, their limited funding requires them to accept/waitlist/reject in stages. Best of luck to you.

My sense is that the CUNY process happens in stages in the way you are describing it. While I heard from the program early, in an informal way I didn't get my official acceptance letter and the funding package until two days ago. I think some of it has to do with the limited fellowships/funding they can give out and it seems like with other public institutions, their limited funding requires them to accept/waitlist/reject in stages. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the response.

On the topic of public universities, I was wondering if any International student were offered funding for UC anthro programs - I didn't apply because I figured I wouldn't have a shot at getting funding.

Edited by chibuku

I got admission from UCSD (without funding), Brandeis and Boston University. Still waiting to hear from Harvard, Columbia and Indiana.

Anyone got funding from UCSD?

I was told the department didn't have any funding this year- I'm sure someone got a package? However, not me- they have been very helpful in assuring me that I will find steady work as a TA outside of the program, somewhat assuring!

Hello! I was one of the admits to the Berkeley med. anth. program. I wasn't told how many were admitted to the program, so I can't help you there. No interview. I got an unofficial acceptance from POI ~Feb 1, 2012 and got an official letter from the Graduate Division two days later, the same time as the cultural admits. I apologize for not posting earlier; I am new to the website and just stumbled upon the Anthropology forum after using the City Guide. If you are unsure of what your status is -- I am not sure if they waitlist, etc. -- just email the graduate coordinator, who is really sweet. Best of luck!

@benedict: congrats! Thanks for letting me know. if you don't mind me asking, who is your POI at berkeley?

i haven't heard from them. i guess that means i'm out.

Hello Zoee!!

I weren't invited for interview. How about you? It's my final result, so I'm looking forward to it.

Hi fanfox! i didn't hear anything from berkeley med anthro either...no interview.

it looks like 2 people got accepted this year. im too afraid to ask the department about my application status. it is probably bad news at this point.

are you med anthro too? if you don't mind me asking, where else are you applying for med anthro?

I got admission from UCSD (without funding), Brandeis and Boston University. Still waiting to hear from Harvard, Columbia and Indiana.

Anyone got funding from UCSD?

Hey! I also applied to UCSD, and I was wondering how you were informed of acceptance? (I'm assuming I'm not high on their list if I wasn't contacted already). Also, did they contact you for an interview at all?

Thanks for any info!

Sara

Thanks for the information! Since it sounds like my POI will not be staying at AU, it's probably not too likely that I'll be hearing good news from them, but something is better than nothing! :) Good luck, and please let me know if you find anything out.

I am also waiting on American, please let me know if you hear anything. Take care and good luck.

I see some others have gotten their official Chicago rejection - since I have not received it yet, I assume my rejection will be quite well-crafted ;)

I got mine today, from the dean of students, “well-crafted” but generic. I'm coming from a totally different discipline (with an MA), never taken an anthro course in my life, and asked to work with (probably) the best Linguistic Anthropologust (and maybe best Anthropologist, period) in the world. I might have been slightly over-ambitious :-P It still stings a little bit, though.

Just got a mass email to check my application status for UT Austin- denied!

I haven't received an email, and when I log into the website, it still says "In review" — so hope lives on at least another few hours! Good luck finding a “home” somewhere :-/