Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

I got mine today, from the dean of students, “well-crafted” but generic. I'm coming from a totally different discipline (with an MA), never taken an anthro course in my life, and asked to work with (probably) the best Linguistic Anthropologust (and maybe best Anthropologist, period) in the world. I might have been slightly over-ambitious :-P It still stings a little bit, though.

I haven't received an email, and when I log into the website, it still says "In review" — so hope lives on at least another few hours! Good luck finding a “home” somewhere :-/

Hey, I didn't get an email either. I checked about an hour ago though and my status on the website had changed. just FYI...

I got mine today, from the dean of students, “well-crafted” but generic. I'm coming from a totally different discipline (with an MA), never taken an anthro course in my life, and asked to work with (probably) the best Linguistic Anthropologust (and maybe best Anthropologist, period) in the world. I might have been slightly over-ambitious :-P It still stings a little bit, though.

I did Poli Sci BA then a Sociology MSc and was also trying to get into Anth programs without having taken a single course. Was probably a bit of a stretch to aim for the top programs without a stellar GPA / research experience, maybe I should have looked for more appropriate Soc depts....(UNC, for example)

I did get in a good Soc program though, so can't complain ;) GL to everyone else!

Edited by chibuku

Hi, fellow American U applicants! I got up the nerve to email Dr. Leap today, who reports that they're currently reviewing applications and that competition is tight. (Surprise!) It's better than a rejection, anyway.

Best of luck to everyone.

Thank you so much nyc2482! I saw that someone posted an acceptance to AU on the results survey; would that person be willing to share if they were contacted first by the department, or if they called in to check? Guess those of us who are still waiting made it past the first cut :) It'll be interesting to see how the break-down of PhD/MA offers goes (they seem to come out in March based on the previous years' results).

I did Poli Sci BA then a Sociology MSc and was also trying to get into Anth programs without having taken a single course. Was probably a bit of a stretch to aim for the top programs without a stellar GPA / research experience, maybe I should have looked for more appropriate Soc depts....(UNC, for example)

I did get in a good Soc program though, so can't complain ;) GL to everyone else!

Yeah, I have a sort of muddied background combining Foreign Languages/Linguistics (mostly Spanish and Italian linguistics) and area studies (southern Europe), so if I reapply, I will probably stick to Romance Languages depts and specify that I want to focus on linguistic topics. I'm kind of bummed because many from my MA cohort have been accepted to PhD programs in Spanish or Italian, and here I am stuck in no-man's land. But they want to be literature professors, and I would rather gag myself with a spoon, haha. I guess it was OK to reach this time around.

Hey, I didn't get an email either. I checked about an hour ago though and my status on the website had changed. just FYI...

I just checked again, and no change yet, but my last name starts with “R,” so if yours is higher up on the alphabet, maybe they're just working their way down ;-)

Seriously, at this point I am not expecting anything this time around, so if something comes through (even if I get “bumped” down to an MA-only program, as long as I can TA for Spanish/Italian), it'll be a pleasant surprise at this point.

Did you get your acceptance letter by email or mail? I saw your post in the results page. Can't believe its the only one. Hopefully everyone else will hear back soon.

I heard by email from department last Thursday (23rd) and then by mail a couple days later from graduate school/fellowship committee (February 25). My sense is that the full faculty have met and have sent the list off to the graduate school, so hopefully you all will be hearing very soon.

I received an email like ten days ago, and I received my admission letter two days ago.

Hey! I also applied to UCSD, and I was wondering how you were informed of acceptance? (I'm assuming I'm not high on their list if I wasn't contacted already). Also, did they contact you for an interview at all?

Thanks for any info!

Sara

Hi folks. I'm new here. I applied to Columbia-Cultural Anthropology. Does anyone here know if offers of admission have been sent out yet? I noticed that a few folks have been rejected...

From the forums I'm pretty sure that if you haven't been contacted by Columbia or Stanford its very likely you won't be accepted. In their cultural tracks Columbia has had 2 accepts and Stanford has had 3 and a wait list according to the results survey. I'm still hoping to be pleasantly surprised though ;)

Hey jfromnillicus -- I'm sorry to hear about things this time around but please don't let it get you down. This is my second year applying, I'm a hopeful Europeanist with an emphasis on Italian immigration. Last year I struck out and this year I'm waiting on 1 school out of 8! You'll find a program that fits. I really think it's a waiting game and finding the right program. Best of luck to you and don't be discouraged, given the odds of applying I'm sure most of us have been there!

I heard by email from department last Thursday (23rd) and then by mail a couple days later from graduate school/fellowship committee (February 25). My sense is that the full faculty have met and have sent the list off to the graduate school, so hopefully you all will be hearing very soon.

Hi! I also got admission from U of Pittsburgh. I want to ask a question about the admission process. Check out your messenger!

Has anyone received anything official from Davis or gotten a firm offer on funding? I got an e-mail a month ago saying they needed official transcripts...haven't heard anything since.

Edited by wheninhell

Has anyone received anything official from Davis or gotten a firm offer on funding? I got an e-mail a month ago saying they needed official transcripts...haven't heard anything since.

Hi wheninhell, I got an official offer from Davis on February 9th. I was unofficially informed before then and they are still trying to figure out funding. They also asked me for my official transcripts in the beginning of February before being officially accepted. My sense is that their process is staged and that not all decisions about funding etc...have been made yet. Best of luck!!

Congrats to all the Yale admits! Can students who were not already emailed assume a rejection? Feel free to PM me! Best, AA
Hi Anxious Anthro, I got my Yale admission offer a few days ago but other people had already received theirs by then so I also assumed rejection or waitlist. I hope this helps. I hope you get an offer!

I'm also waiting to hear from U Pitt...! But has anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt??

I haven't heard anything from Vanderbilt. Based on the results board, they give acceptances in Feb and rejections in late March into April, but there aren't many postings. I might call the department next week to see if they've decided.

@Nubiadoc Any new word on Stanford Archaeology? Have all acceptances been sent out? Still waiting to hear; hate the waiting game.

I don't know about Stanford Archaeology but I know Stanford Cultural Anthropology admissions were sent out this past weekend.

Best of luck!

Woah! New Rutgers rejections are logged—I hope I'm still on that waitlist. Best of luck to those who received notice with their other programs.

But the real question is, has anyone heard anything from Johns Hopkins? The admissions coordinator wrote that they were reviewing apps only a week after the deadline, but we still have no news!