Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Hey UTenn people! My advisor just emailed me to let me know that she just got off the phone with the university and they told her that they are mailing all decisions this week. Just thought you'd like to know. Good luck!

Alizari - thanks to you and your advisor for the UT and OSU updates!

I still don't have an official offer, much less any information about funding, so I have no idea. It's actually kind of worrying - what if that prof liked me, but whatever happens? The joy of worst case scenarios. Assuming I hear from them, I plan to visit before deciding since it's not my only offer and I am at a loss as to where I want to go.

I guess we're all on pins & needles... The funny thing is that I will actually be in Tucson tomorrow, so it's tempting to go knocking on a few doors in the department and say "Ahem, my Grad Cafe friends and I are waiting, can you get a move on please?" ;)

So- just got an email from OSU asking for more information on financial aid- asking me to fill out additional forms. Did anybody else get an email like this?

edit: Haven't heard about a decision from them, either.

Edited by laurissimo

Did anybody receive a news from Syracuse Anthropology program? please inform on that!!!! It's weird regarding the application deadline which was 15th December, no news!

Did anybody receive a news from Syracuse Anthropology program? please inform on that!!!! It's weird regarding the application deadline which was 15th December, no news!

Hi Mahsa!

Here's a link to the results survey on GradCafe, specifically searching for anthropology + Syracuse --> http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=anthropology%2C+syracuse. Hopefully this helps! It looks like some admissions and rejections have been sent out already; I would suggest contacting your POI or someone in the department/admissions for specific information regarding your application's status. Good luck!

Another day, another load of nothing. Theoretically, decisions should be coming soon, right? They have to give us some time to decide/praise the stars that we were accepted somewhere (if that's the case)?

The UW reject was snail mail. I spoke with Dr. Murowchick (BU) on Feb 7th and he said the Arch. dept would be convening later that week/the week after to initialize the admissions process. He mentioned that they had something like 150 apps, most of them being doctoral students with a small pool of terminal MA students.

I emailed Berkeley to tell them to sack up and just tell me I am rejected (not in so many words...). They are also terrible about replying to emails. Were you rejected via email? I have checked the app site multiple times and it still just says my app is submitted still.

Its been a week and I still haven't gotten a reply from my email to Berkeley. I noticed two Med anth students posted acceptance this week- what's going on over there?! I'm sociocultural--bracing for rejection, but would very much like to know already so I can move on!!

Its been a week and I still haven't gotten a reply from my email to Berkeley. I noticed two Med anth students posted acceptance this week- what's going on over there?! I'm sociocultural--bracing for rejection, but would very much like to know already so I can move on!!

I got an email from Ned Garrett at Berkeley confirming my rejection, also mentioning that I should have gotten my letter mid-last week and should be getting my official rejection from the graduate office soon. So glad my rejection is official! I hated knowing it in the back of my mind. Now it's right in front of my face!

I got an email from Ned Garrett at Berkeley confirming my rejection, also mentioning that I should have gotten my letter mid-last week and should be getting my official rejection from the graduate office soon. So glad my rejection is official! I hated knowing it in the back of my mind. Now it's right in front of my face!

Thanks! I feel the same way- I just want to see it in writing!

I have only had one acceptance to UCSD and they told me I have until April 15th to respond--but this whole process has been so uneasy that I have developed a fear that they will decide to take it back if I don't tell them something soon!

Hi Mahsa!

Here's a link to the results survey on GradCafe, specifically searching for anthropology + Syracuse --> http://thegradcafe.c...gy%2C+syracuse. Hopefully this helps! It looks like some admissions and rejections have been sent out already; I would suggest contacting your POI or someone in the department/admissions for specific information regarding your application's status. Good luck!

Another day, another load of nothing. Theoretically, decisions should be coming soon, right? They have to give us some time to decide/praise the stars that we were accepted somewhere (if that's the case)?

Hi aforman,

thank you for your help, these replies are so relieving... actually I have been checking this link day in and day out, on the one hand, I feel it sounds promising as there are not much acceptance or rejection, on the other hand I frankly freak out as the faculty and the department are my favorite... I may contact them, I say may cause It's hard for me to confront the reality on the condition if I was rejected...

Have you had any good news regarding your application?! Or did you apply there?! let's keep in touch :)

Whoever submitted the UTenn response, what website are you talking about? The one that they emailed me when I applied didn't work, which is why they sent out emails every week. Did I miss something? Please let me know.

Thanks! I feel the same way- I just want to see it in writing!

I have only had one acceptance to UCSD and they told me I have until April 15th to respond--but this whole process has been so uneasy that I have developed a fear that they will decide to take it back if I don't tell them something soon!

I did my undergrad at UCSD.

My Berkeley rejection was via email. Thus far most of the school responses seem to follow the method in which they have to apply. BU being an exception; their grad site states that they mail decisions.

I did my undergrad at UCSD.

My Berkeley rejection was via email. Thus far most of the school responses seem to follow the method in which they have to apply. BU being an exception; their grad site states that they mail decisions.

Thanks! I am happy with the UCSD admission- seems like a really great place and I am excited to work with the faculty. I dunno what is taking so long for Berkeley to send out a response- I am ready to finalize everything, but looks like we are all in the same boat! Best of luck :)

Anyone got fellowship offers for CUNY?

Yah they offered a 5 years, Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowship and a Mellon; the Mellon is an internal nomination and won't be announced until this week or next. Keep in mind though, this entails teaching 2 classes per semester years 2-5.

Southern Illinois University At Carbondale (SIUC) Anthropology, PhD (F12) Accepted via E-mail on 6 Mar 2012 A 7 Mar 2012

Just wanted to say congrats to the above poster! I didn't apply to SIUC, as my research is NYC-based, but I'm slightly jealous of anyone who's going to spend the next 7 year in the vicinity of David Sutton. If you're a food anthro, I'd love to get in touch and hear about your research! Feel free to PM me.

Hey jfromnillicus -- I'm sorry to hear about things this time around but please don't let it get you down. This is my second year applying, I'm a hopeful Europeanist with an emphasis on Italian immigration. Last year I struck out and this year I'm waiting on 1 school out of 8! You'll find a program that fits. I really think it's a waiting game and finding the right program. Best of luck to you and don't be discouraged, given the odds of applying I'm sure most of us have been there!

Hi Pinkie,

You and I should be friends :-) I spent last year in Italy for my MA, and contemplated studying Italian immigration, but I realized that the topic would be better studied on this side of the Atlantic.

Sorry to be MIA, I took a week or so off from these boards – last week was rough, with three rejections in as many days. I am going to write UT Austin today (the only school that has not officially turned me down yet) to see if they will at least shut the door on this year so that I can go on with my life.

I am a little discouraged, but not deterred. I have been in touch with my mentor from my MA, and he emphasized that every school in the US is under one sort of financial strain or another – the private unis are still trying to recover from the hits to their endowments taken during the financial crisis, and the publics have to deal with an adverse state funding environment. He saw my statement of purpose, transcripts, etc., and wrote a very strong letter of rec, and he says he "doesn't know how to interpret this outcome" and encourages me to reapply, because the outcome may be very different in a year or two.

I'm making plans to raise my profile and make myself a stronger candidate for next year: retake the GREs, try to get a paper published, take an anthro course or two at my alma amter during the summer or fall. I will also apply to some of the Spanish and Italian departments that allow you to focus on linguistics. My MA school is very well regarded in foreign language and lit departments, but might not be well-known outside those circles, so maybe it didn't help me for anthro. I'm determined that this time next year, I will be celebrating at least one admit, whether it's to an anthro department or a Romance Linguistics program.

Edited by jfromnillicus

This year I made the mistake of only applying to one school and received the rejection this morning. Now I'm trying to determine a course of action for this next year. I'll have to find a job but I do plan on reapplying in the fall to at least 6 programs. My biggest problem right now is trying to gain more experience in my field as a recent graduate.

Most field schools I've found are for enrolled students and ridiculously expensive and the archaeological job market seems to only want people with 3+ years field experience and a masters degree. I feel like I'm missing something, where are all the entry level positions? Do I have to borrow more money to complete more field schools and go into further debt by taking on unpaid internships? There has to be some resources for recent graduates that I'm over looking, can any one offer advice?

Most field schools I've found are for enrolled students and ridiculously expensive and the archaeological job market seems to only want people with 3+ years field experience and a masters degree. I feel like I'm missing something, where are all the entry level positions? Do I have to borrow more money to complete more field schools and go into further debt by taking on unpaid internships? There has to be some resources for recent graduates that I'm over looking, can any one offer advice?

I'm not sure if you will have already seen this but here is a pretty good list of arky field schools: http://www.shovelbum...m_sobi2&Itemid. If you are looking for something more specific try googling - when i was looking for a paleoanth field school i googled just that and found lots of info. Field schools can be expensive but if you stay in the US then it shouldn't be more then $1-2000, I went to the Caribbean for 5 weeks for $5000, but that was a beach vacay/ arky field school in one. Both of the field schools that i have been on accepted students from other schools and i think that is fairly typical. As for entry level positions - i am from Alberta, Canada and huge international companies like Golder hire recent grads to do CRM field work all the time. See if they have anything in your area?

Edited by k-tray