Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there's anybody here who's already secured a place on the MSc course in Social Anthropology at Oxford (start in Oct 2012).

I would be more than happy to get in touch!

Thanks and best wishes to you all!

Hi! I also got admission from U of Pittsburgh. I want to ask a question about the admission process. Check out your messenger!

I have seen a couple of acceptances posted for University of South Florida and U of Pittsburgh. I am waiting to hear back from both of these schools for PhD. Does anyone have any information on the acceptances? Are they sending them out in waves or should I be worried?

Anthrojones, I had a two week lull in the UTenn status emails but then I got one last Friday but none so far today. I did see that two people had posted bioanth/bioarch rejections earlier this week, but I'm not really sure how much I believe that. It seems odd that only two would have been sent out, or that there would be gross underreporting, but I'm still crossing my fingers for good news. Just thought you would like to know that you aren't the only one with sporadic status updates, good luck!

Anthrojones, I had a two week lull in the UTenn status emails but then I got one last Friday but none so far today. I did see that two people had posted bioanth/bioarch rejections earlier this week, but I'm not really sure how much I believe that. It seems odd that only two would have been sent out, or that there would be gross underreporting, but I'm still crossing my fingers for good news. Just thought you would like to know that you aren't the only one with sporadic status updates, good luck!

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. I keep telling myself that maybe I've made it through the first round. Good luck to you too!

For those curious, the GWU MA program was forced by the dean's office to drop Fall 2012 admissions to the MA program from 18 to 12. Yes, this is directly related to the addition of the cultural anthropology PhD. For those interested in Spring 2013 MA admissions, the program generally only admits 1 to 3 candidates for that cycle, depending on December matriculation.

Edited by koalaroo

I was wondering if there's anybody here who's already secured a place on the MSc course in Social Anthropology at Oxford (start in Oct 2012).

I was accepted to that program last year, but failed to win any international scholarships (I'm American), so had to decline - very disappointing.

I have seen a couple of acceptances posted for University of South Florida and U of Pittsburgh. I am waiting to hear back from both of these schools for PhD. Does anyone have any information on the acceptances? Are they sending them out in waves or should I be worried?

Hey Okie! I am in the same boat, waiting to hear back from USF and Pittsburgh. Good luck, please keep me posted if you hear something and I will do the same!

Any word from University of Washington for archaeology? I haven't seen anything on the results poll yet.

Hey! I got rejected on Feb 2nd from UW. Word through the pipes is that they are suffering really bad funding cuts and only let 1 or 2 people in.

I see we have a lot of the same applied to schools.... Have you heard from BU? I still havent gotten my rejection letter from UCB yet...

Edit: I am archaeology subfielder.

Edited by ThaddeusCrane

it's already march! anyone still waiting to hear the final (probably rejection) word from stanford, berkeley, or columbia? i really wonder what's taking so long to give out these rejection emails..... i can't imagine it taking that long to click the "send rejection email" button....put me out of my misery!

on another note- anyone know if columbia gives any funding to those that are bumped down to a masters offer?

I was accepted to that program last year, but failed to win any international scholarships (I'm American), so had to decline - very disappointing.

Hi Anthroman.. I am sorry to hear you couldn't take up your place because of that.. I am indeed in the very same situation right now and I am hoping to get (at least some partial) funding!

Anyways.. I am sure you must have ended up elsewhere just as brilliant! :)

Hey k.i.ivanov, congrats on your Oxford offer.

Don't forget to check colleges, they can often give partial funding to which you can apply even if you didn't select that college. There probably are departmental grants as well. Check everywhere. Don't let this deter you! and email around. You might find some useful sources of money you didn't know about. (I know that in Cambridge, some sources of funding are well-hidden; assuming it must be the same with Oxford).

Dear Columbia,

I told you that I wasn't interested in being considered for an unfunded masters, so please feel free to send my my rejection any time now. Oh, and could you please pass this message along to Stanford if you run into him?

Sincerely,

2012Applicant

Does anyone know if NYU has sent out all its rejections? I didn't receive either a rejection or an acceptance.

Last year my firend apllied there, and it was this time of year he received interview letters and his final acceptacne in mid march, THis year I have applied to NYU, but I did not recieve anything up to now, please let's keep in touch

Last year my firend apllied there, and it was this time of year he received interview letters and his final acceptacne in mid march, THis year I have applied to NYU, but I did not recieve anything up to now, please let's keep in touch

moreover, oddly NYU is the only who notify rejections afters acceptance letter, you could hope for being accepted