Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

it's already march! anyone still waiting to hear the final (probably rejection) word from stanford, berkeley, or columbia? i really wonder what's taking so long to give out these rejection emails..... i can't imagine it taking that long to click the "send rejection email" button....put me out of my misery!

on another note- anyone know if columbia gives any funding to those that are bumped down to a masters offer?

Still waiting to hear from Berkeley! Emboldened by my acceptance to UCSD, I sent Ned an email last week--totally expecting a rejection, just say it already!!

Someone posted information on the results page about University of Florida sending out funding notifications already. Are you on here? How did you find out? I received my acceptance a couple of weeks ago and have been crossing my fingers for funding.

Hey anthrojones and alizari:

I was the one who posted a Skype interview with UTK. I didn't feel like it went too well, and I sent a follow-up email and thank you that has had no response for more than a week. I think this is NOT a good sign. I'm freaking out I only applied there and to Stanford and have heard nothing. :(

Has anyone heard from University of Tennessee-Knoxville? It's been two weeks since the last "weekly status" e-mail and curiosity is getting the better of me.

Anthrojones, I had a two week lull in the UTenn status emails but then I got one last Friday but none so far today. I did see that two people had posted bioanth/bioarch rejections earlier this week, but I'm not really sure how much I believe that. It seems odd that only two would have been sent out, or that there would be gross underreporting, but I'm still crossing my fingers for good news. Just thought you would like to know that you aren't the only one with sporadic status updates, good luck!

@Nubiadoc Any new word on Stanford Archaeology? Have all acceptances been sent out? Still waiting to hear; hate the waiting game.

I'm waiting to hear from Stanford Archaeology as well :( I feel like I read some where that acceptances wouldn't be sent before march 24th...

Hey k.i.ivanov, congrats on your Oxford offer.

Don't forget to check colleges, they can often give partial funding to which you can apply even if you didn't select that college. There probably are departmental grants as well. Check everywhere. Don't let this deter you! and email around. You might find some useful sources of money you didn't know about. (I know that in Cambridge, some sources of funding are well-hidden; assuming it must be the same with Oxford).

Hey Anzaria,

Thanks for your kind words! Yes, I am pretty determined to check out few opportunities! Departmental grants at Oxford are mainly oriented toward DPhil students but there are a handful of other options too! Colleges are a good start, indeed.

Wow, what a slow Monday so far. Every weekend I always convince myself that surely Monday will be full of good news, and then lo and behold my email is as empty as ever. Hope you all are having better luck than me today!

Wow, what a slow Monday so far. Every weekend I always convince myself that surely Monday will be full of good news, and then lo and behold my email is as empty as ever. Hope you all are having better luck than me today!

Seconded. I think you and I actually did this last monday.

Aelizabeth, I emailed UofArizona today and they said they're still reviewing applications. Good luck!

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! Not to complain, but this wait is definitely getting a bit long considering the deadline was December 15th...

Hey UTenn people! My advisor just emailed me to let me know that she just got off the phone with the university and they told her that they are mailing all decisions this week. Just thought you'd like to know. Good luck!

Hey! I got rejected on Feb 2nd from UW. Word through the pipes is that they are suffering really bad funding cuts and only let 1 or 2 people in.

I see we have a lot of the same applied to schools.... Have you heard from BU? I still havent gotten my rejection letter from UCB yet...

Edit: I am archaeology subfielder.

Weird... I feel like I definitely should have heard from UW by now. Was it snail mail or email?

I actually applied to UCB's geography program; it was a much better fit than their anthro. That may be why you haven't heard yet. I haven't heard a peep out of BU yet, and I'm not sure I completely mind at this point. I applied to their geoarch MA which, again, is a better fit than any Ph.D. track I could put together there. Problem with that is BU is notorious for not funding their MA programs, and while things may have changed the last time I spoke with a professor there they cautioned there was no funding at all.

Just a heads up, heard back from SUNY Buffalo (University at Buffalo) - accepted into the PhD Physical program (Primatology). Not too surprised, I'm doing well here as a Master's student. Some more info - if you are eligible for a presidential or other school fellowship (newly applying to UB) then you should have already gotten a letter/email. Everyone else will be put into the TA line pool and should hear pretty quickly. They tend to tell the "already attending" applicants after everyone else.

Hope that helps =)

Aelizabeth, I emailed UofArizona today and they said they're still reviewing applications. Good luck!

That's better than when I asked - the administrative person ignored my question. Granted, it was in an email with other stuff, which she did reply to. It certainly does take them long enough since they started reviewing at the end of January.

Weird... I feel like I definitely should have heard from UW by now. Was it snail mail or email?

I actually applied to UCB's geography program; it was a much better fit than their anthro. That may be why you haven't heard yet. I haven't heard a peep out of BU yet, and I'm not sure I completely mind at this point. I applied to their geoarch MA which, again, is a better fit than any Ph.D. track I could put together there. Problem with that is BU is notorious for not funding their MA programs, and while things may have changed the last time I spoke with a professor there they cautioned there was no funding at all.

I know that BU has at least started replying to their PhD archaeology applicants, but that was pretty recently, so it wouldn't be surprising if MA admits are a couple weeks later. Honestly, they are notorious for not funding all of their PhDs, much less MAs, although I think even the MA only students can compete for TAships in their second year. That still would leave an expensive first year though.

Good luck all!

The UW reject was snail mail. I spoke with Dr. Murowchick (BU) on Feb 7th and he said the Arch. dept would be convening later that week/the week after to initialize the admissions process. He mentioned that they had something like 150 apps, most of them being doctoral students with a small pool of terminal MA students.

I emailed Berkeley to tell them to sack up and just tell me I am rejected (not in so many words...). They are also terrible about replying to emails. Were you rejected via email? I have checked the app site multiple times and it still just says my app is submitted still.

Edited by ThaddeusCrane

laurissimo, my advisor called OSU too (yep, she's awesome) and they said they haven't made any decisions yet. Hopefully they'll decide soon!

oh my gosh! thanks for letting me know! your advisor is SUPER awesome. good luck!!!

Thanks for your message rkg2012. I suppose UoA does it in stages and accept the people who stand out straight away, and then work their way down the list... Have you decided if you're going to attend? :)

I still don't have an official offer, much less any information about funding, so I have no idea. It's actually kind of worrying - what if that prof liked me, but whatever happens? The joy of worst case scenarios. Assuming I hear from them, I plan to visit before deciding since it's not my only offer and I am at a loss as to where I want to go.