Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

aelizabeth and anzaria and anyone else still waiting on U of Az, they really still have not sent out letters, at least on the archaeology side of things. My POI is apparently getting annoyed about it, but funding is totally up in the air. I guess they aren't sending letters until they figure that out? There were 97 archaeology applicants, but I don't know how many they accept. It seems like a pretty big department overall (but I'm a Classicist, so I don't know how it compares to other anthropology departments), so there's still hope.

Thanks so much for the update, I appreciate it! I can empathize with your POI being annoyed :P This really is getting sort of ridiculous. I actually emailed someone at U of A today and got an out of office auto reply.... Interestingly enough that's the second time that happened to me today (a conspiracy to avoid our anxious emails perhaps?). Anyway, it's reassuring to hear that there still may be hope!

I think that Stanford sent letters to both their admits and their waitlists a few weeks ago. I really wish they'd get on with it though--they're the last school I'm waiting to hear back from and some closure via an official rejection would be nice! I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't get our letters tomorrow, though. I guess we'll know soon....

So I've been calling Stanford non-stop they were supposed to notify by email by the end of today but I've heard nothing and so will have to wait for Monday which is so UNFAIR! I just want to be sure of the rejection so I can move on! Apparently they notified some people but no one could tell me if they were admits, rejects or waitlisted...

Thank you for finally rejecting me Stanford! Now, if you'd just tell Columbia to do the same....

Saw that someone got a Stanford accept today as well - congrats! I assume you already had an interview, but it had seemed like the acceptances were finished by now.

I called U of A today and I was told that the recommendations have been made to the Graduate School so we should be hearing back within a week or so...hopefully. Good luck all!

Thanks so much for the update, I appreciate it! I can empathize with your POI being annoyed :P This really is getting sort of ridiculous. I actually emailed someone at U of A today and got an out of office auto reply.... Interestingly enough that's the second time that happened to me today (a conspiracy to avoid our anxious emails perhaps?). Anyway, it's reassuring to hear that there still may be hope!

I called U of A today and I was told that the recommendations have been made to the Graduate School so we should be hearing back within a week or so...hopefully. Good luck all!

Awesome, I was hoping whoever posted that on the results page would explain! I was wondering exactly what period of time "shortly" might indicate haha. I was hoping that might mean today, but I guess a week makes a little more sense. Thanks for the info!

Thank you so much! Do you know if they will send us emails, or traditional letters? (In my email, they said that decisions would be 'mailed' soon...)

Hello friends,

Stanford social cultural (culture/society) admit here, giving what info I know.

Interviews happened about a month ago, so if you didn't get one, I would say that you can safely say its a no-go.

Interviewed people have been put on waitlists, and have been admitted. I was told I was on "the good list" post-interview, but got my official letter only recently. For those who were interviewed but don't know any news, I don't have any good sense as to what their silence could mean at this point. My guess is that it could be that funding is being sorted out - remember they cannot make an offer without guaranteeing you the money. It could also mean that you didn't make the cut. Sad, I know. Best of luck to everyone at all schools this season, its heart-wrenching to say the least.

Has anyone here, or does anyone here know anyone who has been accepted to either UCR or Indiana for Fall 2012? Would love to talk to anyone thinking about joining either of these Anthro programs. Trying to decide between the two.

Hello friends,

Stanford social cultural (culture/society) admit here, giving what info I know.

Interviews happened about a month ago, so if you didn't get one, I would say that you can safely say its a no-go.

Interviewed people have been put on waitlists, and have been admitted. I was told I was on "the good list" post-interview, but got my official letter only recently. For those who were interviewed but don't know any news, I don't have any good sense as to what their silence could mean at this point. My guess is that it could be that funding is being sorted out - remember they cannot make an offer without guaranteeing you the money. It could also mean that you didn't make the cut. Sad, I know. Best of luck to everyone at all schools this season, its heart-wrenching to say the least.

Thank you delurker for the info (also, I like your screen name).

It seems like they're doing something different with their notifications this year (sending out in batches, ,rather than all at once), so it must be a funding issue.

STANFORD FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST LET US KNOW! (sorry, had to get that out). Ive been refreshing my email all day and nothing. I think I've got an ulcer.

Edited by Alpacas4Life

Thanks for the info, Delurker, and congrats on your admit. Wheninhell, did you get an interview? I didn't, so I really don't understand why I/we wouldn't have just been included on the email blast today.

Does Stanford kick rejected doctoral apps over to their MA a la UChicago/Columbia? Could be why... Not holding my breath though.

Does Stanford kick rejected doctoral apps over to their MA a la UChicago/Columbia? Could be why... Not holding my breath though.

Sorry comrade, they dont. They only admit MA people who apply directly to the MA, and have about 2-3 of them a year.

Thanks for the info, Delurker, and congrats on your admit. Wheninhell, did you get an interview? I didn't, so I really don't understand why I/we wouldn't have just been included on the email blast today.

No interview, no anything...grumble grumble grumble

Sent an email to POI at Stanford since I haven't heard anything since my visit in December. The response I got was somewhat mysterious as she said "I don’t know whether admissions decisions have been finalized yet or whether letters have gone out." and she forwarded my email to the Student Services Coordinator. Hopefully I'll hear something back soon, but it's doubtful since people have had difficulty getting answers out of anyone from Stanford. It seems like Stanford's admission process is more secretively than when they elect a new Pope!!

Here's hoping for some white smoke form the chimney for everyone waiting to hear back from Stanford!