Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here has heard back from Penn State. I applied for bioarchaeology but haven't got any news back. Thanks.

I'm bioarch too; haven't heard anything via mail. I emailed Betty Blair and she told me that all admission offers had been sent already as per Dr. Milner (the dept head/bioarch professor).

I too am waiting for a response from Pitt, good luck everyone. I really want an acceptance from Pitt, but I was lucky enough to get a great tution waver with a month stipen from my 2nd choice (NDSU), so I won't be totally devistated if I don't get in. I do wish they would have given us the info on the website instead of killing a tree though....the wait wouldn't be so unbearable!

I saw someone posted about letters being mailed out last week...I still havent received anything in the mail yet! But last night an email came in from POI saying I had ranked as a "high alternate" and they wanted to know if I would still consider Pittsburgh (or if I had already committed to another program) since new funding slots had become available....

I honestly had written Pitt off weeks ago since I never heard back, so this was exciting and unexpected news! Good luck everyone!

Spoke to JHU program coordinator today. He said, "The faculty have reviewed all received materials for each applicant. I have not been provided a date from the faculty when they will officially make announcements. I had been hopeful they would all be announced by April 1st, but that date isn't set in stone. All decisions will be sent out via email. I cannot make any comments on admission decisions (even off the record) until the faculty make them official."

Thank you so much for sharing the info. I've never been to Las Vegas, but I'm planning to visit the school in May. My POI is Bao, Jiemin, and I hope to work with prof Jankowiak as well. I've contacted them a few times and they have been very kind to me (in my opinion, they are so much better than some pretentious douchebag professors from ivy league schools). I think I will definitely enjoy studying anthropology in LV, you know, if I don't get myself accidently murdered by some gangsters.

I'm a bit concerned about the student outcome tho. I do eventually want to go to one of the schools with a "big" name just so I can secure a job in the future with my anthro degree. I know that one student from UNLV eventually went to UCLA to do PHD, but I'm not sure about the rest of the student body.Do you know anything about that?

Both Dr. Bao and Jankowiak are awesome.

Congratulations! You are going to love it

Huh . . . still no word from Columbia. It seems incredibly late, given that the next work day is April 2nd and decisions must be made by the 15th. I'm not terribly concerned at this point (I can't imagine they'd accept me, haha), just surprised by their tardiness. Is anyone else in the same boat? . . . decisions must be made by April 15th, right?

Huh . . . still no word from Columbia. It seems incredibly late, given that the next work day is April 2nd and decisions must be made by the 15th. I'm not terribly concerned at this point (I can't imagine they'd accept me, haha), just surprised by their tardiness. Is anyone else in the same boat? . . . decisions must be made by April 15th, right?

I'm in the same boat! No update to my app site either... Gah!

JHU is a joke. A girl told me she got in to jhu during an admit weekend.

Maybe I'm being a little dense, but do you mean someone was accepted in person?

And I just noticed someone posted an acceptance on the results page... does anyone want to claim that?

If anyone got into Michigan and isn't going, could you please let them know? I'm on a short waiting list, and I'd oh-so like to go there.

I have literally JUST declined my offer... good luck!! I hope you get in. :)

If anyone got into Michigan and isn't going, could you please let them know? I'm on a short waiting list, and I'd oh-so like to go there.

berph - can I ask in what field?

I am also on that list (maybe it is not that short??)

and shakycarmine - you are socio-cultural right?

BTW I am sociocultural...

Hi guys,

I just want to know if there is anyone around here who was accepted at SUNY Buffalo. I've seen 3 accepted people posted on the results page. I'm quite concerned as I haven't heard back from them and my app still appears as not reviewed. I wrote and asked the secretary and she told me my app is still under review and I'll get my decision letter soon....but its been more than one week and no answer :(. I've applied to 6 universities. I've got 4 rejections and 1 acceptance without funding. I need to officially respond to the latter by 15th April...don't know if I shall hope for SUNY or not...:(((((

GRADCAFE COMMUNITY! Can anyone help me interpret this status update: "The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved." positive?!

So maybe the dept has approved you but perhaps it is going through the graduate office for funding approval?

GRADCAFE COMMUNITY! Can anyone help me interpret this status update: "The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved." positive?!

Hmmm....Sounds positive to me! It might mean that you've been approved by the department and the department has submitted your app to the grad division to be approved by the school? Let us know how it turns out! :)

Hi all!

I'll be going to Oxford this fall for a Master's in Social Anthropology. Anybody else heading to England?

hey Carolyn,

may I offer you my warmest congratulations! :)

I have been accepted on the same course too! Are you going to do a two-year MPhil or a MSc?

Out of curiosity, would that by any chance be Cambridge Anthr Department? If so, I am exactly in the same boat!! By the look of it, once you've reached this stage there is a very high chance of receiving an offer. the only way you can get rejected now is if you've falsified your documents or your applications. if everything is in order, you'll get an offer. and everyone goes through this. smile.png When we'll get our offers is another case altogether. the waiting period is around a month plus.

Edited by k.i.ivanov