Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

More info on Harvard admits, please. Two percent, wow. Any word on the proportion of medical, cultural, or archaeology students this year? How many do you expect make it to the waiting list? Any rumors on which supervisors are taking on new students? Maybe I am getting too detailed here, but I sure am interested!

I would also like to see more details about UChicago & UMichigan. Any word from Chicago?

Thanks in advance for any sharing.

I know a social-cultural admit for Harvard. That's about I could say? :(

UChicago and UofM are done giving admits, but I don't know details other than 3 of UChicagos were internal admits from the university.

Also, I'm pretty sure that they let waitlisters know when they let admits know. I dont want to be a debbie downer, but its easier to kill hope now than later...cause you could get pleasantly surprised!

Hi, I did over the past weekend. Acceptance email from supervisor. Good luck. I think it depends on if you're first round or second round...first round is now (last week); second round is in early March or mid March.

Where you PhD or MA? Who's supervising you? Was it an official or unofficial acceptance? Which branch of anthro (I'm going for socio-cultural) I was in email contact last week letting them know that my SSHRC app had been forwarded to Ottawa for final verification. Thanks for your response! (Now I'm antsy!)

I see from the results page that several applicants were already admitted by Princeton. If I have not been contacted by Princeton by now, should I assume that a rejection is on the way?

All Princeton admits were notified, I'm afraid to say. But don't worry, the season isn't over!

On 2/17/2012 at 3:12 PM, Distant Wizard said:

All Princeton admits were notified, I'm afraid to say. But don't worry, the season isn't over!

Just got my rejection from Princeton!!

On 2/17/2012 at 1:22 PM, zillie said:

Some of these schools are not ones I personally spoke to, but friends of mine have, so I can't say with 100% certainty.

The list of schools are: UPenn, TAMU, Harvard, U. Washington (to send out official acceptances), Washington University, and Washington State.

I hope everything stays on schedule and we hear soon!

Also, to those of you who applied to University of Washington - say what? I saw on their actual department site, and talked to department members (faculty and students) who all told me they aren't even accepting applications this year. They're not opening their apps till this upcoming fall cause of funding. Did you hear differently? That's super weird.

Also, to those of you who applied to U.Wash - say what? I saw on their actual department site, and talked to department members (faculty and students) who all told me they aren't even accepting applications this year. They're not opening their apps till this upcoming fall cause of funding. Did you hear differently? That's super weird.

U. Washington isn't accepting for cultural anthropology until 2013, but they are for other subfields this year.

Edited by zillie

I saw that two people were admitted into NYU today, and I'll have to say I'm a bit nervous to see this. They were my top school and I had a good connection with the faculty there. Does anyone know any more news about them?

ditto on this post...both cultural?

ditto on this post...both cultural?

Phew. First news back today and I was one of the two who posted being accepted to NYU. Cultural. All else I know is they're taking 5 students.

Best luck to everyone.

I've also heard about there only being five spots at Harvard. I know someone's been informed they're waitlisted by a member of the department.

Edited by Deepchina

On 2/17/2012 at 3:35 PM, timetogobacktoschool said:

Also, to those of you who applied to University of Washington - say what? I saw on their actual department site, and talked to department members (faculty and students) who all told me they aren't even accepting applications this year. They're not opening their apps till this upcoming fall cause of funding. Did you hear differently? That's super weird.

Where in the webpage did you see that University of Washington is not accepting applications for the other subfields? I know their budget was cut. :(

I am copying and pasting the info from University of Washington's page:

Archaeology and Biocultural Anthropology admissions will be run every year, however, Sociocultural Anthropology has moved to an every other year model admitting students in the odd numbered year. Next admission cycle for Sociocultual Anthropology will be for Autumn 2013.

Of course, I think most people here are applying for cultural anthropology, which might explain the confusion!

Phew. First news back today and I was one of the two who posted being accepted to NYU. Cultural. All else I know is they're taking 5 students.

Best luck to everyone.

I've also heard about there only being five spots at Harvard. I know someone's been informed they're waitlisted by a member of the department.

Hi Deepchina,

Congratulations on your acceptance!!!

I have been wait listed so my waiting game just got into overtime...

I will appreciate it very much if you could post any information regarding the process and your impression from the prospective student's weekend (if there is one...)

Thanks!

Hey, is person who postedinterviwe for Boston University on here?I applied to Cultural Phd... waswondering if you had any info about applicant pool or ifother interviews were done?

That was me.... no info though, sorry. Basically it was a casual conversation with one of my POIs (not even the one I spoke to though...).

i guess you're right jerzygrl! CUNY contacted me this weekend, and it looks like i'm headed out to NYC on an all-expenses paid weekend = it feels so good!

Hey! i'm going too... which wknd will you be going? And is this a meet and greet for the short list or what?

Hey,

Congrats to those who have been accepted places! I hate you, but I am sincerely happy for you. :-P

I was wondering if anyone has been contacted by University of Virginia yet? There seems to be two other people who posted interviews on the results survey. I was contacted waaaaay back in mid-January about a "casual chat" for my research interests that seemed to be both standard and went very well. I was really excited as, I assumed since they contacted me so early, I was high on their list.

The person I interviewed with (non-POI) said that decisions would be made in late February/early March. I had some sort of optimism that I would hear back sooner than that (one could only hope ....) but as the weeks have gone by, that feeling of hope has waned. I *have* looked back at past years/threads, and it seem that UVa does make decisions late, so I still have that going for me. Also, I do know there is a recruiting weekend, but, I didn't expect to be invited to it because I am currently living in a remote part of Laos (you know .... "grad school preparation" haha.) and flying me to Virginia for 2 days would be .... well, impractical and costly. I think I may be over-rationalizing things, but I'm not sure if I'm maintaining a false hope.

UVa was the first school on my list (barring some concerns about GLBTQ-life, it's both in my top-pick location and best match school), so I may be overplaying this. Hopefully in a month I'll be able to look back on this and laugh at how needlessly nervous I was. Or validate all of my concerns! Anyways, thanks for letting me vent and I hope to hear your thoughts (and from other people who applied to UVa!)

:)

Cue nerves! Someone posted a rejection from American U in the results section, and while I've been moving towards "extremely pessimistic" in my hopes for this year's applications, I just checked my application status for AU and it's still in "submitted." Is it wrong of me to still want to hope that this is a good sign? Are there any other AU applicants hanging around this thread? I'm also still waiting to hear the bad news from Temple and Northwestern ... I wish they would just send out rejections already!

Hey aforman1,

It might be lucky that both of our nerves were cued at the same time. I graduated from AU two years ago (went onto an MA program elsewhere) and the department is filled with some of the warmest, friendliest, and most intelligent people you will ever meet. I still maintain contact with a lot of my faculty, peers, and PhD students.

However, with that being said, there was recently a new dean appointed to the College of Arts of Science who has wrecked havoc on the department, especially in terms of funding (looking towards more "serious" subjects --> eg, Economics). I know they've only been able to accept 1-3 people each year.

If you do get in, it's filled with tremendous people. Who did you want to work with?

Hey aforman1,

It might be lucky that both of our nerves were cued at the same time. I graduated from AU two years ago (went onto an MA program elsewhere) and the department is filled with some of the warmest, friendliest, and most intelligent people you will ever meet. I still maintain contact with a lot of my faculty, peers, and PhD students.

However, with that being said, there was recently a new dean appointed to the College of Arts of Science who has wrecked havoc on the department, especially in terms of funding (looking towards more "serious" subjects --> eg, Economics). I know they've only been able to accept 1-3 people each year.

If you do get in, it's filled with tremendous people. Who did you want to work with?

Hi! I'm hoping to work with Sabiyha Prince at AU, although I was also in minor contact with William Leap as I was applying; everyone seemed really friendly, although I was told up front that they have only been able to admit a couple of students to the PhD each year. I've been going through the past years' results for AU, and it seems like many of the applicants get accepted for the public anthro MA and rejected from the PhD program ... it's tough hearing that they've been put through such a financial wringer the past couple of years!

Of course, now your message has really made me hope that things aren't so bleak and I manage the impossible! :) I wish everything could be decided already so I could start making plans for the fall and the uncertainty would go away, lol.

Urgh,

I *hate* to be the bearer of horrible news. I absolutely *loved* Sabiyha (and words cannot express my adoration for Dr. Leap. He has supported many young scholars, both at AU and elsewhere in starting their careers), but, she was denied tenure this year in somewhat of a scandal with the aforementioned dean. It was horrible -- she was a wonderful scholar and the denial of tenure was kind of eye-opening and a momentary bleak spot on my decision to pursue a PhD. Dr. Leap used to be the chair but stepped down (no worries, he's still there!) within this last year and they are doing an external hire to find a new chair. Hopefully, this will free him up for some of his (absolutely marvelous) projects in queer geography.

The MA is a good program; but, if you are accepted for a PhD elsewhere, it's probably more worthwhile. And trust me, it looks like you've already been accepted somewhere, I feel like I'm hanging on a string over an abyss for dear life. :-P

I already have an MA in anth, so I doubt they'd admit me to the MA program there, haha (or, if they did, I'd have a pretty huge WTF moment then go elsewhere!). That's horrible to hear about Dr. Prince, I spoke with her in October and she seemed so enthusiastic and interested in my research ... is she leaving AU? There was a similar "scandal" at my MA university, and while I wouldn't say it makes the entire program seem unstable, it's good to know about these sorts of issues coming into a place for whichever folks they admit this year. Dr. Leap was very forthcoming as well, I was able to get into some of his research before I got too caught up in the application process ... either way, I'm definitely missing being at school. Starting up a program in the fall will be great, even if (or maybe especially if) it's at my safety school.

Yeah; I'm sorry to, well, not be the most positive (as I know I need all the positivity I can get!)

I believe she is leaving AU; I last talked to her in November (before some of the appeals processes). I don't want to speak on behalf of AU -- the department itself is very stable, indeed. It's more so things at the university level and an over-reaching dean changing things up.

Anyways, good luck at Colorado! Trust me, there's still some of us anxiously waiting. :-P