Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

I didn't get an interview but I can confirm 2 people I know who got them who are social cultural people. Not everyone posts...look at cornell for example, all that was posted for a couple weeks was a lone long-list post, and announcements came in the last few days.

Most likely the asu result is true. It's about the same time frame I got both acceptances from asu, one was masters one was phd but oddly I never went there. Came close but a visit turned me off for my phd and masters, I don't remember why I decided against it. So make sure to visit and make your own mind up. And the time of day of the email doesn't matter unless you know the sleeping and working hours of all the profs. I know of profs who ome into work at 4 am and leave around 3 in the afternoon.

I just saw that someone got an interview for UPenn... Does this school usually do interviews? The results from the past few years are not very informative because apparently most people got rejected, or admitted off the waiting list.

Does anyone know anything about it? My hopes dropped as I saw this (I didn't get an interview).

I just saw that someone got an interview for UPenn... Does this school usually do interviews? The results from the past few years are not very informative because apparently most people got rejected, or admitted off the waiting list.

Does anyone know anything about it? My hopes dropped as I saw this (I didn't get an interview).

I'm afraid I don't have any answers. I also looked around on the results and internet but couldn't find any information about interviews and the application process for UPenn. However, I feel the exact same way. No interview here, either. :(

Hey, sorry for the delay - I'm the person who posted the UCSC acceptance today.

I actually have no idea whether interviews are typically a part of the UCSC admissions process. I did not have a formal interview, but I did speak with my POI via Skype. We had planned to speak shortly before applications were due, but our conversation was delayed until the end of December - and so said POI was able to discuss my application when we spoke. Because I was asked about my interests and application, the conversation felt a bit like an interview at times, but the POI never referred to it as such.

I suspect all admits have been notified by this point, as the graduate coordinator wrote to say that she is in the process of determining who will be able to attend the planned visiting day on February 29. That said, all e-mails I've received have been addressed only to me, so I can't say with absolute certainty that all other admits have been contacted. I hope my suspicions are wrong and that you guys will be notified soon. :-/

I'm sorry; I know this isn't the most helpful of responses. Do let me know if I can answer anything else.

I'm afraid I don't have any answers. I also looked around on the results and internet but couldn't find any information about interviews and the application process for UPenn. However, I feel the exact same way. No interview here, either. :(

I, too, am waiting for an answer from Penn, just so the entire process can be over. I've already accepted at UCSB, but I just hate having this weird, dangly mysterious application just waving in the wind. Also, I went to my application and even though all my documents were in on time, it says "incomplete" for some unknown reason. I don't even care, just give me my rejection so I can move to Cali with no hard feelings, especially when I will have my toes out next Feb.14 during the daytime at least...

Lucky you! At least you have an acceptance :) So far I've been rejected by Brown and waiting on 3 universities. (Although it looks like I got rejected by UPenn, too?)... Congrats on UCSB and don't worry for the incomplete status. When I rang UPenn back in December they said it was normal, just a technical problem.

Thanks. Try to stay positive. All I do at conferences is try to get the inside scoop from scholars and trust me, you and I will both be okay once we learn how to navigate the system. If you don't get into your top choice, just start somewhere; there is more than one way to skin a cat.

One of my colleagues is about to apply to UC London and I was telling him that I wish I had to the guts to apply to a British School. I'm doing Sudanic Kingdoms archaeology and London would have been the most logical option for me if I'd had the confidence to try and do it. I am very happy with UCSB. Maybe post-doc in London....?

Edited by Tke

I'm studying African archaeology this year as one of my options, yay for Sudanic kingdoms!

Thank you for your help but at the moment I feel like I won't get in anywhere. The problem with me is that the geographic area I want to focus on is primarily studied in America. If I stay in Europe I will have to change my entire plans. I can't study what I truly want here, and it was more of a plan B. I think I'll be happy studying this other geographical area, eventually, but it's hard for me to give up on my dream.

Edited by Anzaria

Re: UPenn

I hadn't heard they were doing interviews this year and they really haven't in the past. It might be that certain professors might be talking to people. I do know their meeting is scheduled for soon (or has already happened. They've had a lot of staff meetings lately). There are several dual-degree programs that might have interviews, so it could be that as well.

A professor at Penn contacted me this morning asking for an interview the same day. It wasn't clear why, and I don't think they are doing interviews in general. She said they would be having a final meeting on Sunday and sending out notices that week. Apparently nearly all the faculty put my app in their top five, which is flattering, and that the three I applied to study with, Bourgois, Spooner and Urban all were enthusiastic. A really different reception that Michigan, for example, who rejected me outright.

Maybe this has already been semi-addressed, but is anyone familiar with how universities generally go about changing the online status of applications? A few more admits/rejects have shown up for Arizona State and one of them mentioned that their application status on the website changed from "in review" to denied. Mine is still "in review." Does this mean theres hope, or just that they haven't gotten to me yet?

A professor at Penn contacted me this morning asking for an interview the same day. It wasn't clear why, and I don't think they are doing interviews in general. She said they would be having a final meeting on Sunday and sending out notices that week. Apparently nearly all the faculty put my app in their top five, which is flattering, and that the three I applied to study with, Bourgois, Spooner and Urban all were enthusiastic. A really different reception that Michigan, for example, who rejected me outright.

Wow, this is really positive, congratulations to you!

I don't think it's going to happen for me though. They probably would have given me some similar sign if they had liked my application... Oh well. At least I'll get the official rejection next week and can move on!

Re: UPenn

I hadn't heard they were doing interviews this year and they really haven't in the past. It might be that certain professors might be talking to people. I do know their meeting is scheduled for soon (or has already happened. They've had a lot of staff meetings lately). There are several dual-degree programs that might have interviews, so it could be that as well.

Thanks for the information! :)

RE: UCSC

got an email yesterday, i didn't contact any Professor before or in the application process, but after the arrival of admission email, the professor i mentioned in my sop sent me a letter to ask for an interview via skype. this seems less helpful...

also admitted by UHM and Oregon State u.

RE: UCSC

got an email yesterday, i didn't contact any Professor before or in the application process, but after the arrival of admission email, the professor i mentioned in my sop sent me a letter to ask for an interview via skype. this seems less helpful...

also admitted by UHM and Oregon State u.

Congratulations! Lixy!

Any information is much appreciated! Thank you!