Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Can anyone confirm or deny the info in the most recent post about Stanford? The poster wrote that the Anthro Department is having its "Finalist Visiting Weekend" this coming weekend...

If you haven't heard from Stanford by now, you're most likely out since they'll probably not be taking people who aren't finalists.

A professor at Penn contacted me this morning asking for an interview the same day. It wasn't clear why, and I don't think they are doing interviews in general. She said they would be having a final meeting on Sunday and sending out notices that week. Apparently nearly all the faculty put my app in their top five, which is flattering, and that the three I applied to study with, Bourgois, Spooner and Urban all were enthusiastic. A really different reception that Michigan, for example, who rejected me outright.

Michigan rejected me too, but I expected it because I didn't exactly fit. Good Luck with Penn, it sounds like you got it.

Hey guys, I'm a current student. I used this forum during my admissions cycle and thought I would have liked to know. I am not sure about letters. I think the grad school sends on behalf of the departments. When I was rejected by another department at Harvard (during the same cycle), I received the acceptance and rejection in two consecutive days in mid-February.

I got an unofficial announcement from the chair of the committee at Harvard. He called (Skype) and told me that I was admitted by them, and as m41 said, with 4 other students. I think they already notified the students who are admitted, even though it was not an official letter.

I wonder if there are any news from Chicago. It has passed 2 weeks since the interview and still no update from the university.

Edited by lookinside

Anyone heard word from University of Toronto or know when people started hearing back last year?

Hi, I did over the past weekend. Acceptance email from supervisor. Good luck. I think it depends on if you're first round or second round...first round is now (last week); second round is in early March or mid March.

Duke Evolutionary peeps (if that group includes anyone other than brownie and me):

I have had nothing but bad signs so I thought if I found out they already did interviews, I could bury this hope in the ground and start to move on. I called the graduate secretary and she said they had "done some interviews but no decisions have been made." Intellectually, I think that means that if you haven't had an interview, fat chance. Still, I wish she had said it like that instead of emphasizing the some as in "not all, your invitation is on the way!" I guess I won't be able to really put it to rest until I have that official rejection.

Maybe this has already been semi-addressed, but is anyone familiar with how universities generally go about changing the online status of applications? A few more admits/rejects have shown up for Arizona State and one of them mentioned that their application status on the website changed from "in review" to denied. Mine is still "in review." Does this mean theres hope, or just that they haven't gotten to me yet?

These Arizona State results are going to give me an ulcer! It seems like the acceptances went out earlier this week, but I haven't officially been "denied" even though at least one person has. aelizabeth, have you received a result yet?

These Arizona State results are going to give me an ulcer! It seems like the acceptances went out earlier this week, but I haven't officially been "denied" even though at least one person has. aelizabeth, have you received a result yet?

Nope and it's driving me crazy! Have you checked your online application status? Mine still reads "in review" =\ I never really had my hopes up in terms of getting into ASU, but it'd be nice to know for sure so I can cross it off my list. Did you apply to U of A as well? That's the other mysterious one.... A single rejection has been posted, but it's from an international student so who knows what that means for the rest of us.

Hey, I'm international too, and haven't heard. They probably didn't make the distinction between Americans and internationals. My guess is that this person asked their POI, or someone in the department, who disclosed the information to them. We probably would have more results if more people had been notified.

Edit: I'm talking about U of A... sorry I didn't make this clear!

Edited by Anzaria

Hey, I'm international too, and haven't heard. They probably didn't make the distinction between Americans and internationals. My guess is that this person asked their POI, or someone in the department, who disclosed the information to them. We probably would have more results if more people had been notified.

Edit: I'm talking about U of A... sorry I didn't make this clear!

Thats a good point. I was wondering if maybe they made decisions about international students first since your deadline was a bit earlier, but this makes more sense.

Nope and it's driving me crazy! Have you checked your online application status? Mine still reads "in review" =\ I never really had my hopes up in terms of getting into ASU, but it'd be nice to know for sure so I can cross it off my list. Did you apply to U of A as well? That's the other mysterious one.... A single rejection has been posted, but it's from an international student so who knows what that means for the rest of us.

Mine still says "in review" too. I didn't apply to U of A, would have liked to but the research didn't fit.