I feel like the receiver of the first rejection should get a prize

sorry about the bad news folks. Sucks :(

this might be the week for Northwestern, based on last year's results, so I might find myself crawling into this thread lacking even the distinction of having the first rejection! Still, we must keep hoping.

fingers crossed for the rest of your apps :)

Got my first rejection of the season from the school I felt most confident about. I'm providing the prize myself. Bulliet Rye Whiskey. Thank god I don't teach 'til tomorrow. . .

This.

Timshel, I don't know. My primary POI was there. I've known him for five years (and see him at least once a year at a major conference). The POI I who directed my MA thesis is a good friend of his. Everything seemed in line. It was quite a blow,

They were a good fit for me, too. That's at least 5 people who have gotten rejected from there. I thought that I would at least make the wait list. This does not bode well for this application season.

NP, Marxist_feminist. BTW, while I'm a Marxist (materialist, in polite company :P) myself, I have a good friend who found a shirt that featured the phrase, "My Marxist-Feminist Dialectic Brings All The Boys to the Yard" lol. Glad(ish) to know I'm not the only one surpised by KU results. While I haven't the audacity to consider myself a shoe-in, I figured I had a pretty good chance since he was excited about my work (he wasn't on the admissions committee, though . . . at least by all accounts).

That is a t-shirt I should find... :P !!! I thought I had a good chance with KU, espcially because I thought it was a great fit with what I want to do....This rejection has made me so nervous about the whole process :( ....Hopefully, something positive will come soon.....Good luck to all!

I don't post very often, but I seriously compulsively check this site at work and at home every 15 minutes or so. (I've gotten very good at surreptitiously sneaking a peak at updates while my boss's back is turned -- we share an office -- and my husband pretty much thinks I have an unhealthy addiction to this site, which he does not at all understand -- "It's not like you're going to find anything out about your application. Why would you check GradCafe more than once a day/week/month??"). Anyway, my point is that, while you all may not know me very well (due to my lack of prolific posting), I feel very familiar with all of you, and I am seriously miserable that you are getting rejections already. :( You guys are my friends/support group/inspriation! I have such a hard time believing that some of you will not get in somewhere, however, so don't get too down just yet. My one waitlist (closest thing I ever had to an acceptance) in the way-too-long history of my applications to grad school came in late March -- which felt like a miserably long time to wait for a few weeks of antsy-half-happiness -- but hopefully that means that, in spite of whatever kind of control over our destinies we hope to gain by compulsively analyzing the results board, it's not over until you have an answer in hand from every single program! Don't let one get you too down (yet) :) We will all get through this (with our drinks of choice, varied Netflix addictions, and our fellow GCers) :)

I don't post very often, but I seriously compulsively check this site at work and at home every 15 minutes or so. (I've gotten very good at surreptitiously sneaking a peak at updates while my boss's back is turned -- we share an office -- and my husband pretty much thinks I have an unhealthy addiction to this site, which he does not at all understand -- "It's not like you're going to find anything out about your application. Why would you check GradCafe more than once a day/week/month??"). Anyway, my point is that, while you all may not know me very well (due to my lack of prolific posting), I feel very familiar with all of you, and I am seriously miserable that you are getting rejections already. :( You guys are my friends/support group/inspriation! I have such a hard time believing that some of you will not get in somewhere, however, so don't get too down just yet.

Hear, hear! As a fellow lurker, I agree with the sentiment of this post. Most of us who decided to go through this ordeal did so knowing that we would get at least one rejection Heck, I'm expecting mostly rejections, but I find solace in the fact that I just need one good offer. The notification season has just begun, and there's no reason to lose hope just yet...

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of a slowly drawn out process ranging from January 25 to April, all the schools picked one night on which to contact everyone. Something like Feb 15 from 6PM-11PM EST. We'd all know when it was coming and could sit by our phones and computers and watch the results come in. In one evening we'd discover what the rest of our lives will be like. It'd be like an election night except without (much) network news coverage.

Instead we wait. I'm dreading the moment when I've been rejected by 13 or 14 of my 15 schools and the image of my failure slowly comes into focus in front of my eyes. The slow extinguishing of hope is the worst. I'd prefer just to get it over with.

Double Shot, I second your idea about schools notifying applicants all on the same day. Bravo! The method as it is now is the equivalent of pealing off a super-stuck bandage, real sloooooow, where each little hair is being tugged on painfully and rentlessly. I say.... tear that darn Bandaid off in one rip, please!

Thanks for your post, made me smile.