I feel like the receiver of the first rejection should get a prize

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of a slowly drawn out process ranging from January 25 to April, all the schools picked one night on which to contact everyone. Something like Feb 15 from 6PM-11PM EST. We'd all know when it was coming and could sit by our phones and computers and watch the results come in. In one evening we'd discover what the rest of our lives will be like. It'd be like an election night except without (much) network news coverage.

Instead we wait. I'm dreading the moment when I've been rejected by 13 or 14 of my 15 schools and the image of my failure slowly comes into focus in front of my eyes. The slow extinguishing of hope is the worst. I'd prefer just to get it over with.

Edited by WellSpring

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of a slowly drawn out process ranging from January 25 to April, all the schools picked one night on which to contact everyone. Something like Feb 15 from 6PM-11PM EST. We'd all know when it was coming and could sit by our phones and computers and watch the results come in. In one evening we'd discover what the rest of our lives will be like. It'd be like an election night except without (much) network news coverage.

Instead we wait. I'm dreading the moment when I've been rejected by 13 or 14 of my 15 schools and the image of my failure slowly comes into focus in front of my eyes. The slow extinguishing of hope is the worst. I'd prefer just to get it over with.

Sort of like Match for med schools? I'd be down with that. The drawn out torture waiting is almost unbearable!

A friend of mine who is getting an MA in genetic counseling got all her decisions on one day (along with everyone in that program). However it was late April before she heard, which would absolutely kill me.

Edited by Kelkel

Well...who wants to step forward and claim it?

Institution Program (Season) Decision & Date St1 Date Added Notes University Of Kansas, Lawrence English, PhD (F12) Rejected via Website on 23 Jan 2012 A 24 Jan 2012

• No email or phonecall; just checked the web site and found rejection letter posted there!!!

Well, it wasn't me, but it prompted me to check my own application there. I, too, was rejected. This is not a good sign. I feel like I already know how the rest is going to play out......

Why wouldn't they send an e-mail notification!? Now I'm logging onto all my online apps to see if I have rejections waiting for me there...

Definitely not up for any of the ones I'm applying to, although I can't even log into Buffalo's status page. Perhaps this means we'll get those decisions soon?

Well, it wasn't me, but it prompted me to check my own application there. I, too, was rejected. This is not a good sign. I feel like I already know how the rest is going to play out......

Timshel, I have confidence in you! Honestly, I really want to see all the regular GC'ers on here get into programs this year...I feel so bonded to y'all!

That stinks, Timshel. But at least you have the "honor" of winning our pool? Where shall I send the chocolate? ; )

Hang in there!!

If by "every day" you mean "every five or so minutes," then yes.

Haha, so true. And today I switched my school email account to enable it to come to my phone. I'm sensing this might've been a bad idea indeed....

"every five or so minutes." That's me.

Last Friday night, after a few too many tequila shots, I begged a friend to let me use his computer just so I could check the results and my e-mail. I had a small meltdown because of one of the inevitable Friday evening "Duke Application Status" e-mails.

There is a good chance I will not even hear from anyone for another month. That makes the chances of my sanity not lasting through the month exponentially higher. Find a math major. Figure that out.

Haha, so true. And today I switched my school email account to enable it to come to my phone. I'm sensing this might've been a bad idea indeed....

Haha, I did the same thing, and it is so unhealthy and unwise. On my phone, I go from loading my email to loading this site to reloading my email...

"every five or so minutes." That's me.

Last Friday night, after a few too many tequila shots, I begged a friend to let me use his computer just so I could check the results and my e-mail. I had a small meltdown because of one of the inevitable Friday evening "Duke Application Status" e-mails.

There is a good chance I will not even hear from anyone for another month. That makes the chances of my sanity not lasting through the month exponentially higher. Find a math major. Figure that out.

Oh yes, everything about this post. When I'm out, I'm usually at risk of drunk texting, but I came dangerously close to rum-induced posting on here over the weekend...considering I've been more of a lurker than a poster over these last few months, that would have been quite the, er, introduction.

Well, here I am...the winner. Gosh it feels so bad. I got my first rejection today! University of Kansas--did not even email me. I happened to check my online app and found my rejection letter posted there. This is wayyy too early...I had to read it a few times to grasp the reality of it. It is a sad day :( .

Sorry to hear it, comrade! Don't let it get you down though, we're all going to get our fair share of rejections; no funding coupled with the mushrooming number of applicants inevitably leads to this. I'm pulling for you at UCSC!

Still better than joining the reserve army of labour though, right?

This is somewhat incongruous with the last few postings, but I want to say that the whole prize thing for the first rejection is a fantastic idea. If I apply to graduate programs next fall, I'm definitely going to spearhead (or at least contribute to) another thread like this.

Marxist_feminist: sorry to hear about your rejection! Here's to hoping you receive good news soon! With a username like yours, they shouldn't be able to resist your application. There's basically a 99% chance that you're a really cool person. ^_^

Edited by Two Espressos