Take a gamble: predict your own outcome 2012

milara

Who will accept you? Who will wait list you? Who will reject you? Take a gamble, make a prediction!

(Idea stolen from a thread from a few years ago)

2 acceptances

2 wait lists or acceptance without funding

4 rejections

+ 1 known rejection

I feel like that's realistic.

To expand a little more...

I think I'll be surprised if everyone outright rejects me. I

But I'll also be surprised if I get a lot of acceptances. I've come to expect disappointment.

Rejection: UIUC

Coin Tosses: Purdue, UVA

2 out of 3: UNC-CH, Duke, NCSU

Accept: CU-Boulder

We'll see... I have a sinking feeling that any response to this thread is bad luck... I will now receive nothing but rejections... :(

Hah. I don't want to jinx it. But surprisingly, last year, I got into programs which I'm sure won't accept me and got waitlisted to two other programs which I'm sure I have a chance of being accepted. (What happened after that is a different story) :)

Ready for this? I'm gonna get accepted to both programs with full funding. Then I'll have to spend a few glorious days re-visiting both campuses and programs, counting up my options, making a Pros and Cons chart, and having all the power over my app season, for once. Mwahahahaha!

You're a braver soul than I. It's not that I'm superstitious, but there's something about this whole process that scares me, and I don't want to offend it. :D

Hahaha :lol:

Hope i'll get into at least one but I've started making a list of programs that have app deadlines in April just in case...

You're a braver soul than I. It's not that I'm superstitious, but there's something about this whole process that scares me, and I don't want to offend it. :D

THIS! Every time I even tell people the full list of schools to which I've applied I feel like I've done something terribly inauspicious and I have to knock on wood and cry about it.

THIS! Every time I even tell people the full list of schools to which I've applied I feel like I've done something terribly inauspicious and I have to knock on wood and cry about it.

Me too. And people always ask! I try to ward it off by telling them I applied to nine, but usually I have to go through the whole list. I feel like I'm invoking the spirits of bad juju or that saying the list aloud is some incantation wrought by the evil wizard of applications.

I went looking for the old thread, because I wanted to see how well I predicted my own outcome. Alas, I couldn't find it. IIRC, I said "3 acceptances, 3 waitlists, 3 outright rejections." And I got 3 acceptances and 3 outright rejections.

Of my 3 waitlists, one turned into an acceptance and one ended up as a rejection (but not until July!)...The last school emailed me in April to ask if I wanted to stay on the waitlist. I said I already had 4 good offers at that point, of which I would probably take one before they got around to accepting me (I was on the verge of accepting one anyway, at that point). So I'm not sure how to classify that one?

In any case, predicting my outcome didn't seem to jinx me at all...so predict away, people! I actually think it's fun to see how close people come.

At least 4 outright rejections.

Two interviews, and if they go well, i get into 1.

2 wait list.

2 outright acceptances.

This is a mix of optimism and pessimism.

Or I will get into everywhere. Yeah, probably that.

Actually, I'm guessing all rejections.

I'm all over the place. It's a blood bath.

At least 4 outright rejections.

Two interviews, and if they go well, i get into 1.

2 wait list.

2 outright acceptances.

This is a mix of optimism and pessimism.

Or I will get into everywhere. Yeah, probably that.

Actually, I'm guessing all rejections.

I'm all over the place. It's a blood bath.

Woahwoahwoah, where are you applying?! I'm applying to UC Irvine's Drama & Theatre program! We're severely underrepresented on here!

Edited by BreathingSister

Two schools, Western Ontario in Canada for an MA in Theory & Criticism. I don't have a particular interest in Drama/Theatre but my POI encouraged me to apply to the program he's on the adcom for lol, so I did. I am not hearing good things about UCI's drama program from hardcore drama students, but after thorough research I'm really jazzed about it, so interdisciplinary and flexible. Do you know anything about it's informal reputation? What are your interests/programs?

3/3 rejections

My "Dream School" is the best fit for me, but also the toughest to get in and hence, not much chance there.

My "Reach School" has my POI in another department, not where I applied and he is the only one there who works in my area.

My "Safe School" is not a good fit for me and I am not a good fit for them either.

In addition, there are many problems in my application.

So, you can see why I'm so negative about it.

I thought I was the only one who believed in the jinx of talking about my application details, but it is comforting to know I'm not alone in this! :)