Take a gamble: predict your own outcome 2012

milara

I am not hearing good things about UCI's drama program from hardcore drama students, but after thorough research I'm really jazzed about it, so interdisciplinary and flexible. Do you know anything about it's informal reputation? What are your interests/programs?

I have a friend who went through the UCI/SD program and he loved it, but he told me it probably wasn't right for me. My interests are in the realm of avant-garde histories and theories of creative logic.

Bats,

I must say you have an impressive application profile! B)

Thanks for saying so, though I'm afraid my list of schools is likely much more impressive than my chances. I'm an "older" applicant, with low/average GRE and undergrad GPA... ughhhh

I honestly have no idea but I'll venture a guess.

I feel fairly optimistic about my chances at 3 of my 11 schools. Pretty bad about 5 others and mixed about the last three.

So let's say 3 acceptances, 5 rejects and 3 wait lists.

Bats,

I think in performance studies, aspects such as the GRE and GPA scores are secondary. Your experience in performance and teaching explain your age (which is not quite "old") and you say you have strong SOP and LORs.

The most important part is that you have a clear vision of what you want to do and that's an interesting area! I feel you should get in at least some of those schools.

I only need to get into 1 school, because each of the programs I applied to are PhD, full-funding only programs ... anything else and I'm heading back to Colorado to finish up there (but without guaranteed funding). That's what I keep telling myself, "You just have to get into 1/3!"

Of course, 2 of the 3 deadlines just passed last Sunday, so I still have plenty of waiting ahead of me before I find out. (Counting down the days until March 1!)

I'm figuring on 2/3 for actual programs. For fellowships...I don't know, probably 0/5 on the external ones (heck, I already got one rejection). I don't know how many internal ones are available.

I got told by a friend who's at one of my applied-to programs that her advisor (one of my POIs, who I spoke with in person months ago) was asking about me the other day, and that I'm a leading candidate for one of their big internal fellowships. Which is nice to hear.

I've thus far applied to 2 schools, one has already been a rejection. For school 2/2 I think I'll be accepted but I will turn it down since: I really can't stand the area, a PoI I want to work with might go back to school 1 or I won't recieve enough funding to attend reasonably.

Welllll, predicting only for the SLP programs, I guess I'd say

Accept: Boulder

Waitlist: Vanderbilt

Reject: Northwestern

but since they're all such competitive programs and I only applied to 3, I'm prepared for the likelihood that I won't get into any, no matter how qualified I am.

Hmm I'm predicting

Accept: 5

Waitlist: 3

Reject: 6 (including the one I already received since I pretty much figured I would be rejected from there to begin with)

To be honest though I would be perfectly happy with only 1 acceptance if it was from my #1 choice.

I'm going to guess...

Accept - 3

Waitlist - 1

Reject - 2

Also, it would be interesting for people to come back and post here after all is said and done to see how close they were.