PhD campus visit and interview

I got a call from WashU today inviting me to come for a long weekend campus visit! The department is paying for my plane ticket, hotel, food, everything! 

I'm also unsure of what to wear. It's going to be three days full of activities and I want to be comfortable, but I also want to leave a good impression. Any suggestions?

I have been offered a similar interview event at one my my schools. They are paying for my costs and it lasts a few days. In their email they said this is not an acceptance but only finalists are invited to the interview. I think it is a good sing for our apps and important to make a good impression at this interview.

I am unsure what to wear as well. I imagine I need clothing for interviews/official events as well as casual things for more social events. I am also unsure how to prep for this event! Let me know what you decide, OP!

Received same email/message; essentially an opportunity to check "fit" with students. I would expect dress to be slightly business-casual (though more casual than business).

Of course you can always contact the department that is inviting you down for this info if it wasn't included in the message/email.

Edited by ANDS!

I got a similar offer and am off to the university next week to the Dept. of Religious Studies. Here's some tips:

1. re: what to expect. I just received my one-day schedule from the admissions officer. I am meeting the professor who will possibly me my main adviser, then meeting two other faculty members, who are not from my field. I am guessing these two will asses my general understanding/approach to studying religion, along with theories and other work being done in the field. Will have to brush up on what they have written.

I am also meeting with another faculty member, presumably to test my language skills. we might do some reading, so I might show off my language skills.

Then I have lunch with the graduate students. Will have to see if they are friendly enough, what the atmosphere in general is like, and what their aspirations are.

2. re: what to wear. Dress nicely, but not more than business casual. You dont want to wear a tie and seem too business.Maybe a blazer for the guys at best. I guess my main concern is how clean my shoes will be! (just bought new ones).

3. Of course, this is not an offer but pretty close to it. I'm not sure how many other applicants I am competing with, and couldn't find that out either. But I'm sure they will make a decision after everyone has had a chance (maybe upto 20 possible applicants?). So best you can do is be confident and let your skills shine. Also take an interest in what the faculty are doing!

good luck folks

Thanks for the info! The email they sent said that more info will be on the way soon. I imagine this info will include a schedule and format of the visit. I have decided to spend some time reflecting on the school and how I see myself fitting into the program as part of my prep. I think that you are right, it is important to be confident and just be yourself. Good luck to everyone in this process!

Thanks to everybody who's responded! I got another visit offer from one of my schools and asked about dress and they said business casual. I have appropriate clothes, but I think I'm going to have to go out for some new shoes... Good luck to everybody on your visits and remember to have fun in the process!

Edited by laurl921

Papillon, I also have an interview with a program. I actually received a phone call from the DGS and I asked him about the interview process. He assured me that I should focus most on enjoying the experience and to think of it more as an opportunity for (1) the department to "recruit" me, and (2) for me to network with the faculty and students, and (3) to meet my potential cohort.

He did say that there will be eight other potential students attending. The first night there will be a "meet and greet" dinner with faculty and current graduate students followed the next day by one-on-one interviews with potential advisors, and a group interview. Finally, the weekend will close with a university-wide graduate symposium, giving us the opportunity to see the type of research that the graduate students are working on. Of course I'm sure that each program will have different formats.

I also asked him what type of questions I can expect. He said that they are (1) interested in discussing my work and research interests, (2) why I chose the particular field and program, and (3) that they want to give us the opportunity to ask them questions as well. All in all, it seems like a little fun mixed with a few nervous moments, but you should feel good about it. After all, you have been selected for an interview because they see potential in you and your work. I am going to be myself and stay true to what I expressed in my personal statement. However, I do plan to brush up on my reading, particularly articles written by my potential advisors. Just make sure that you show them the best "you" the entire time (first impressions are lasting impressions). Good luck!!

You will be asked to the point of exhaustion if you have any questions about the program/school/city. Asking questions about the area is a great way to get people talking once you've exhausted the usual 'and what is the coursework like/what is the average class size/what's the emphasis on class discussion' program questions.

Be enthusiastic! Show them that you love what you do and that you're committed to it. If you're interviewing at your top-choice school, it can't hurt to tell them so (I don't advocate lying--you don't want to burn bridges if you get in there but choose to go elsewhere).

You've proven yourself academically. They think you're a good fit for the program. You wouldn't be at the interview otherwise. This is your chance to show them that you will make a good colleague--that you will be awesome to have around for the next 5+ years, that you will represent your dept well in the professional-social world.

As for what people wear...well, it's a little different for those of you interviewing at Emory, b/c I'm sure the climate will be vastly different from my interview weekend (a snowy part of the Midwest, in February. not good). I would say the uniform was nice khakis or dark pants and sweaters of some sort. I wore nice black jeans and a v-neck sweater over a plain T-shirt all three days. (I, um, had to go buy winter dress clothes specifically for the interview, and Gap was having a nice sale on those sweaters). The guys were pretty much in button-down shirts and maybe sweaters; I think last year some of the interviewees had blazers but I don't recall any my year. Most of the women had a little more variety in their wardrobe than I did. :lol:

You will probably be walking a lot at least one day (campus/library tour), so be *sure* you take nice but comfortable shoes that you can walk in. This is not the time for five-inch stilettos or Heelys.

There will most likely be a couple of 'social' events, some involving faculty for which you will want to maintain the business casual thing, and probably some sort of mixer w/just grad students where you can show a little more personal flair if you want.

As far as questions goes, I think I had to tell the story of how I got interested in [time period] and [research interest] about eight hundred times. :) One prof wanted to know what work of secondary scholarship we wished we had written (and the kind of work we saw ourselves doing).

You may have the opportunity to sit in on classes. Take up as many of these as you can! Usually the classes they suggest, they suggest because the profs are fantastic. You might even learn something really cool. (...Yes, I am a nerd.)

One of the bloggers from my app year (coyabean) gave a pretty detailed report of her interview at Emory (not for any of the specific departments any of you have mentioned, but still). It might be worth trying to dig that up.

Good luck, everyone!

So...a question to add to this topic: I was invited to a weekend where I assumed there would be an interview (the letter said I am "highly ranked" as a candidate, but not much else as an indication of my standing). I just got some updated information from the head of the program in which he stated that this is just a weekend to meet members of my potential cohort, and that there will be no interviews or "high stakes events." He played it up as casual. So...to me, this seems like a good sign, like perhaps this is more like an "admitted students" weekend. Yes?

So...a question to add to this topic: I was invited to a weekend where I assumed there would be an interview (the letter said I am "highly ranked" as a candidate, but not much else as an indication of my standing). I just got some updated information from the head of the program in which he stated that this is just a weekend to meet members of my potential cohort, and that there will be no interviews or "high stakes events." He played it up as casual. So...to me, this seems like a good sign, like perhaps this is more like an "admitted students" weekend. Yes?

Until you have an official offer, anything goes. He was likely casual to indicate that they really, really like everyone and want to see how personalities fit into the department.

Be honest with yourself in evaluating the program, department and your cohort. And be yourself when you're with them, everyone is likely as nervous and unsure of what to expect!

Best of luck and congrats!

DBP - you were supposed to say, "Yes, you're absolutely in. You can stop obsessing now." :P

Yeah, that's what I am figuring...not counting any chickens... :-) But I *am* checking every email, grabbing every phone call, hitting "refresh" on the results survey every 1/2 hour or so...

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, I have a question. Do do schools normally reach out and invite students to visit?

I think it really depends on the program and the discipline. In the humanities interviews are seemingly much less common than in the sciences for example. As a religious studies student only three of the eight programs I applied to give interviews. For the programs I was really interested in and knew there was not a formal interview process, I made a point of visiting before applications were due, sometime in the fall. Looking into threads for your particular subject area should be helpful!