Rejection Thread :(

kaister

Since there isn't a psychology specific rejection thread, I thought it might be nice to have one. Well...rejection is never nice. Just a place to vent or seek comfort from others who are in the same position.

So far I've got one unofficial rejection, three have already sent invites out (one of which I had a really "great" phone interview with, so said my POI, but was told I unfortunately wasn't one of their invites). I guess there is still "hope" for all of us until those official ones roll in or March/April comes. Despite that I feel the hopelessness depression coming on and figured I can't be the only one.

Feb is gonna be a LONG month...

You're definitely not alone. I'm feeling it too. It's really, really tough. I keep trying to tell myself that it's too early and I haven't heard from all of the schools yet, but it doesn't seem to help. I know everyone around me is sick of hearing me obsess about this but I can't stop.

Those of you who have gotten rejections so far (official or otherwise) how are you coping? Any tips to share? This is the second time I've gone through this and it hasn't gotten any easier.

I have 1 official rejection and 1 (maybe 2) unofficial rejections... it definitely sucks alot, especially when people around you keep getting into top schools (even people on Gradcafe!)...

I am lucky that I have an interview with my backup school, and I am just gonna give it my all! I NEED to get in!

Just don't lose hope

1 official and 2 unoffical rejections. I still have to hear back from my last 2 schools, one of which I interviewed at last week and the other doesn't do interviews. I'm pretty pessimistic about the outcomes now. :unsure:

I feel like being rejected from all my schools is a very real possibility. Does anyone know what they'll do if they don't get into any school? I don't really have a backup plan as of yet, most likely I'll move back home, but that leaves me very little opportunities to continue on with research. Anyone have ideas on what they're doing if they can't get an RA position or something related to psych research? I'm not a clinical app so I wouldn't need any more clinical experience...I'll probably just have to get whatever job I can to pay off loans and then reapply next year.

What do adcoms think when they see a student has a hiatus from research, I'm assuming not good, but all I can see at most is volunteering at my local university (they're probably too packed to really give me much opportunities, especially not being their student). Just some things I've been thinking about recently...

I, fortunately, have a full time research staff position right now, and thought I should give a heads' up for potential volunteers: At our school, at least, we certainly appreciate volunteers, but getting them "plugged in" to the system (i.e. IRB/HIPAA certification, etc) if they were not previously affiliated with the university can literally take a couple months, so inquire early!

Edited by SoSickOfWaiting

You're definitely not alone. I'm feeling it too. It's really, really tough. I keep trying to tell myself that it's too early and I haven't heard from all of the schools yet, but it doesn't seem to help. I know everyone around me is sick of hearing me obsess about this but I can't stop. Those of you who have gotten rejections so far (official or otherwise) how are you coping? Any tips to share? This is the second time I've gone through this and it hasn't gotten any easier.

my second time as well. the first time, two of my LORs weren't great (i later found out that one was actually writing not-so-great letters for multiple students and the faculty in the department weren't happy). this time around, i applied to fewer programs (5 Ph.D and 1 MA)...and the fit with each school was definitely better. i heard back from one school (positive news) and emailed/talked to POIs for two of the remaining five programs. the news there wasn't great, so i'm assuming a rejection for both. as for the other three, i have yet to hear back.

i think i'm dealing with it better this time around by reminding myself of the external factors that i have absolutely no control over (funding, which POI is accepting students, etc.). when my advisor asked me early in the year if there were other careers i was interested in, i couldn't come up with anything. i want, more than anything, to get my Ph.D. so that i can conduct research, teach and mentor. and i will make that happen. perhaps the road there will be different than what i initially imagined (and a bit longer), but you know what they say about delayed gratification! also, this is good preparation for the perseverance needed in academia! :-)

hang in there and stay positive!!

Edited by socpsy123

I feel like being rejected from all my schools is a very real possibility. Does anyone know what they'll do if they don't get into any school? I don't really have a backup plan as of yet, most likely I'll move back home, but that leaves me very little opportunities to continue on with research. Anyone have ideas on what they're doing if they can't get an RA position or something related to psych research? I'm not a clinical app so I wouldn't need any more clinical experience...I'll probably just have to get whatever job I can to pay off loans and then reapply next year.

What do adcoms think when they see a student has a hiatus from research, I'm assuming not good, but all I can see at most is volunteering at my local university (they're probably too packed to really give me much opportunities, especially not being their student). Just some things I've been thinking about recently...

I've gotten 4 official rejections (one after a phone interview that I thought went well) and one assumed rejection... I still have 5 more schools, but it's not looking good. I've started applying for lab manager/RA jobs as the ads come in, and if none of that pans out, my current advisor needs someone to work as a grant administrator for her NIH grant starting in the fall, and she said I could do that, but it's only part-time, and I would definitely need to work full-time. I can't volunteer, or if I do, I need to also have a full-time job because I have to support myself somehow. Last time I applied, I at least had the MA programs as a back up, but now I have a masters degree. It seems stupid (and a waste of time/money) to get a second one. I don't know what other back up plan I can have. I just want to do research! Like you, socpsy123, I just don't want to do anything else. Sometimes I joke about becoming a travel agent or a chef, but I don't think I would really be happy doing that.

I'm also irrationally embarrassed about not getting in to my schools this time. Other psych students and my advisor and you guys understand that there are external factors, but my family and friends outside of the psych world don't, and I'm just terrified that they will think I'm a failure if I don't get in this time. Which is dumb, but I can't help it.

I'm trying to stay positive. I am glad that I have this community of people going through the same things, though. It really does help.

I've gotten 4 official rejections (one after a phone interview that I thought went well) and one assumed rejection... I still have 5 more schools, but it's not looking good. I've started applying for lab manager/RA jobs as the ads come in, and if none of that pans out, my current advisor needs someone to work as a grant administrator for her NIH grant starting in the fall, and she said I could do that, but it's only part-time, and I would definitely need to work full-time. I can't volunteer, or if I do, I need to also have a full-time job because I have to support myself somehow. Last time I applied, I at least had the MA programs as a back up, but now I have a masters degree. It seems stupid (and a waste of time/money) to get a second one. I don't know what other back up plan I can have. I just want to do research! Like you, socpsy123, I just don't want to do anything else. Sometimes I joke about becoming a travel agent or a chef, but I don't think I would really be happy doing that. I'm also irrationally embarrassed about not getting in to my schools this time. Other psych students and my advisor and you guys understand that there are external factors, but my family and friends outside of the psych world don't, and I'm just terrified that they will think I'm a failure if I don't get in this time. Which is dumb, but I can't help it. I'm trying to stay positive. I am glad that I have this community of people going through the same things, though. It really does help.

YES!! i get embarrased as well when family/friends inquire about the process. i also understand that i shouldn't be (my mentors keep telling me this), but easier said than done. even worse is that my peers who are in biology and chemistry are all getting into programs and when i have no updates about my "social science" programs (they already think what i do isn't science), it sucks big time. and of course, when talking to those peers AND family/friends, i sound like i'm making excuses when i discuss those external factors.

i'm glad that this community is here as well, it's been helping me. thank you all for sharing...

I definitely have good and bad days. One day I will be optimistic for good news and the next I have a panic attack. I think the best way to cope is just to accept that there will be good and bad days. And having people around you who understand that definitely helps, too. This is my first year applying. I have a full-time RA job, so my backup plan is to continue working and apply again next year. In addition to the heartbreak from not getting into dream schools, what scares me is the huge amount of MONEY that goes into this whole process. It would be so annoying to have wasted all the money with no positive result!

Honestly, though, I think it IS rather early to throw in the towel and accept defeat. I think everyone is freaking out because we are all overachievers. Time will tell, but until then let's keep our chins up! :)

YES!! i get embarrased as well when family/friends inquire about the process. i also understand that i shouldn't be (my mentors keep telling me this), but easier said than done. even worse is that my peers who are in biology and chemistry are all getting into programs and when i have no updates about my "social science" programs (they already think what i do isn't science), it sucks big time. and of course, when talking to those peers AND family/friends, i sound like i'm making excuses when i discuss those external factors.

i'm glad that this community is here as well, it's been helping me. thank you all for sharing...

It definitely is easier said than done. I think that people who haven't been through this think that you just apply and if your scores and GPA are high enough, then you get in. They don't understand things like "I wasn't a good fit for the program." or "My POI wasn't accepting students this year." It really does sound like you are making excuses, but I can't make them understand that it's more than just ME. Or maybe I can't make myself understand that, I'm not sure. I keep seeing not being a good fit for the program as some kind of personal failure, even though it isn't.

@psychgurl, the money is a huge thing for me, too. I spent nearly $1000 applying to schools this time around. It seems like a huge waste and I don't know if I can afford to do it again!

Definately don't lose hope until the end. My friend last year was looking at a shutout, and then suddenly in March he got emailed from one of his top schools b/c the first interview went terrible. So the prof called my friend and he ended up getting in. Point is, there's always a chance of second-round interviews. The "hot shots" will sweep up all the first rounds of interviews. But, they can only go to one school!

In the worse case you take a year off, gain some lab experience, retake GREs, just push hard as you can. This is my second time around, and the time I took off in between made a big difference not only in making me more competitve, but helping get a grasp on what I'm most interseted in studying the next many years of my life. This is SUPER important - I know some people who got into PhDs right out of undergrad and burned out quickly because they never took time to really think deeply about what they wanted to do. Finally, just remember there's a lot of luck invovled!

If I learned anything it's that it is never over til its over. My first time applying when I had no business doing so landed me an M.A./M.S. acceptance that I didn't even plan for and it was well after most of the other schools outright rejected me.

This time around I'm still wary of acceptance, I think I may get shut out again but its way too early to even consider that. So far I have 3 official rejections and 2 likely unofficial rejections. No interviews, no acceptances. But I applied to a large number of programs and some had deadlines 2 weeks ago so I know there is still plenty of time.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my third round of attempting to get into a PhD program. I have never been accepted into a PhD program and after increasing my GRE scores and investing a tremendous amount of time in the application process, this will be it for me. My age and the money/time expense is too great.

Like most of you, it costs a lot to get transcripts to all of the schools. Both my ungraduate and master's school charge for each transcript. The fees are always increasing and babysitting the LORs until they finally get sent was done for the last time for me in December. I don't plan to remind another grown adult of their responsibilities for a third and even fourth and fifth time ever again.

I have not gotten any official letters of rejection yet, but I know schools are rushing their offers out in order to lock in the blue chip applicants. I've not even been waitlisted or spoken to by anyone...period. I just hope I get a rejection letter to put in the file for all the money I spent.

If I get one of those last minute calls in the 11th hour, it would be great and those stories always give you hope that you'll get a spot, but i have been through this so many times and it seems like they have what they're looking for and if you're not it, nothing else really matters.

That said, I am in a job I hate and so wish to get into a program. Otherwise I have to get another plan together for this next big chapter in my life and let this dream go. It's not easy to do, but we all have to face the reality of the situation eventually. It's not the end of the world.

gradguy, I'm right there with you in everything you said. Between the expense of applying to schools and the time/effort I put in as an undergrad doing research, cramming for the GRE for months, and obsessing over my grades, all in an effort to make my application as competitive as possible, I'm completely exhausted. The process doesn't seem to make much sense, and whether or not you get rejected seems to have less to do with your qualifications/fit for the program and more to do with plain old dumb luck. I knew going in that it would be hard to get into grad school, but I assumed that if I just worked hard as an undergrad and did everything right, I'd get in. I worked hard, did everything right, and all I'm seeing is rejection.

At the end of the day, I'm down thousands of dollars (not counting student loans), hundreds of hours of my life, and all I have to show for it is a Bachelor's degree that doesn't count for much in the real world. It's extremely disheartening, but I (like you) am just going to have to figure out what to do next and hope that works out better than this has.

i got really screwed over by my GRE scores... 2+ years of research experience, good GPA, awesome LOR, wrote individual personal statement for each school (spent months on them), 1 publication, and conference presentations- still not enough i guess

I've got 7 rejections and 2 assumed rejections out of 16 schools. I feel like some of my undergraduate grades and my GRE Math scores are what are keeping me from getting even an interview and to rant a little: it feels completely insane and unfair.

I'm a rational guy, I understand people bust their ass off to get perfect scores and perfect grades and do research, get clinical experience, and basically show their stuff.

I have a 3.84 graduate masters GPA, took the time to complete an optional research (data collection, interviews, built it from the ground up) masters thesis , have clinical experience, have science research experience in undergrad, and took psych undergrad courses after graduating undergrad to prepare for this journey. I retook the GREs and improved all my scores, above average Verbal, above average Writing, and a slightly average Quant score. Math is my weakness.

I have a few bad grades from undergrad (and it was all during times I was trying to find my flow and find my passion). I found my passion in psych and found my driving motivation doing my own research and being the first in over a decade to do so at my Masters program. I thought, sure the grades overall are good (a few bad marks happen), the GREs aren't everything, and I have a lot of other experience that is relevant in clinical psych!

And yet I have the sinking feeling I'm getting screened out or just rejected because of some undergrad grades and a slightly low Math GRE scores. Mini rant again: Math isn't everything ( we run SPSS and other programs for a reason in Psych!), what I did in undergrad doesn't represent how I really proved myself at the graduate level, and finally it has been researched that upwards of 60% of doctoral students across all fields NEVER graduate (mostly ABD status). There have been countless articles written interviewing graduate programs and the dumbfounded nature of discovering "some of those with the best scores and grades flopped in the program" and "some of those we took a chance on ended up wowing us and really showing their hard work and graduating."

Like a lot of you I know I can really contribute to the field, make a difference, and most important to the clinical psych programs: work my ass off for them teaching and researching and bringing in money for them. And like many of you I can do it without the attitude and with humbleness because I want to learn from the best and want them to know I appreciate having these opportunities. I want to work hard, I want to prove myself, and it is downright depressing to think I and others who really are going to stick to it and get it done with hard work are thrown to the side because someone else has "high math scores" and "straight As" in undergrad.

It's like the law school mess: I knew someone who got a perfect LSAT score (zero law background) and had schools calling and mailing her to offer her scholarships and admission and she didn't even apply! Really these adcoms in all fields need to wake up and realize high GRE scores are NOT good predictors of overall success and the most recent grades of a student in the field tend to be the BEST predictors of overall success!

Edited by quickinstinct

I've got 7 rejections and 2 assumed rejections out of 16 schools. I feel like some of my undergraduate grades and my GRE Math scores are what are keeping me from getting even an interview and to rant a little: it feels completely insane and unfair.

I'm a rational guy, I understand people bust their ass off to get perfect scores and perfect grades and do research, get clinical experience, and basically show their stuff.

I have a 3.84 graduate masters GPA, took the time to complete an optional research (data collection, interviews, built it from the ground up) masters thesis , have clinical experience, have science research experience in undergrad, and took psych undergrad courses after graduating undergrad to prepare for this journey. I retook the GREs and improved all my scores, above average Verbal, above average Writing, and a slightly average Quant score. Math is my weakness.

I have a few bad grades from undergrad (and it was all during times I was trying to find my flow and find my passion). I found my passion in psych and found my driving motivation doing my own research and being the first in over a decade to do so at my Masters program. I thought, sure the grades overall are good (a few bad marks happen), the GREs aren't everything, and I have a lot of other experience that is relevant in clinical psych!

And yet I have the sinking feeling I'm getting screened out or just rejected because of some undergrad grades and a slightly low Math GRE scores. Mini rant again: Math isn't everything ( we run SPSS and other programs for a reason in Psych!), what I did in undergrad doesn't represent how I really proved myself at the graduate level, and finally it has been researched that upwards of 60% of doctoral students across all fields NEVER graduate (mostly ABD status). There have been countless articles written interviewing graduate programs and the dumbfounded nature of discovering "some of those with the best scores and grades flopped in the program" and "some of those we took a chance on ended up wowing us and really showing their hard work and graduating."

Like a lot of you I know I can really contribute to the field, make a difference, and most important to the clinical psych programs: work my ass off for them teaching and researching and bringing in money for them. And like many of you I can do it without the attitude and with humbleness because I want to learn from the best and want them to know I appreciate having these opportunities. I want to work hard, I want to prove myself, and it is downright depressing to think I and others who really are going to stick to it and get it done with hard work are thrown to the side because someone else has "high math scores" and "straight As" in undergrad.

It's like the law school mess: I knew someone who got a perfect LSAT score (zero law background) and had schools calling and mailing her to offer her scholarships and admission and she didn't even apply! Really these adcoms in all fields need to wake up and realize high GRE scores are NOT good predictors of overall success and the most recent grades of a student in the field tend to be the BEST predictors of overall success!

The thing is really just that there are far, far, far more really awesome, super qualified applicants than there are spots. Especially right now, as more people are applying to grad school than ever before coupled with less and less available funding. The crazy thing is, that with the number of people getting psych PhDs there aren't anywhere near enough jobs (especially academic jobs, if your goal is to be a clinician then you're fine), and now we have a backlog of post-docs who are far cheaper (they only need salary, not tuition remission) who are there to do a lot of the same work and already have training. So yes, a large part of that feeling like it is super random is due to the simple fact that ad-coms have to turn down really super qualified people for PhD programs all the time and right now is a particularly bad time to be an applicant.

You're also correct in that GRE scores are not a good predictor of success, but they are frequently one of the very few ways schools have to judge your quantitative ability. And while we do use SPSS, ad-coms are seriously impressed by strong quant skills because it signals a likelihood of having aptitude for understanding stats beyond the basics (and therefore understanding how to design studies and analyze them appropriately based on stats knowledge). That said, obviously GRE scores aren't about stats skills, but they don't have much else to go on which is why they keep relying on it (flawed as it is). And yes, between two otherwise equal looking applications, they will invite the person with a higher GRE score before the one with the lower GRE score.

I'm not really sure what to say about the ABD thing, since it's way lower in psych and also ad-coms have no way of predicting that based on the application. People admitted to PhD programs typically all look stellar on paper. I think the issue there is with funding matched with the finding that the longer you stay in grad school the more bitter about it you become. But yeah, it's frustrating to think you can't get your foot in the door when other people are in and not liking it or not appreciating it.

When I was applying I applied to 8 schools and got into 5....but now that I'm a 4th year and I see the list of people invited to interview (we get a 'cheat sheet' filling us in on the details) I am blown away by the sheer strength of their applications. I seriously wonder if I could get into a program these days based on what I've seen. The 8 people we interviewed this year (and we're accepting 4) all had worked in labs at least 3 years, were all graduating/graduated at least magna cum laude, had GRE scores that were sky high, had given presentations at conferences, and most had taken a year or two off to be a full-time research assistant or lab manager in a lab headed by a big name in the field. They all had super well fitting research interests and were quite clear about those interests. But I doubt they were the only applicants who fell into those categories and plenty of people never got an interview even with strong applications.

It's just really true that it has never been more difficult to get admitted to a PhD program.

For anyone who is thinking about next steps for next year, I just got this email:

Dear Colleagues - Please pass this note on to any bright undergraduates or recent grads who may be interested!

Full-time lab manager position at the University of Maryland Developmental Social Cognitive Neuroscience Lab

The University of Maryland Developmental Social Cognitive Neuroscience Lab (www.dscn.umd.edu) directed by Dr. Elizabeth Redcay is seeking a full-time lab manager starting this summer 2012. The DSCN lab investigates the neural and cognitive bases of social-cognitive and communicative development (e.g., joint attention, theory of mind) in typical individuals and individuals with autism. The methods used include functional and structural MRI as well as behavioral measures with adults and children (infancy through adolescence). This is an excellent position for anyone who would like to pursue graduate work in developmental, cognitive, and/or clinical neuroscience. We encourage applicants with a background in psychology, cognitive science, computer science, engineering, or related fields to apply.

Responsibilities will include data collection and analyses of MRI and behavioral studies with infants, children and adults, development and maintenance of lab imaging analysis and stimulus presentation scripts, and scheduling study participants. Additionally, the lab manager will supervise undergraduate research assistants, manage IRB protocols, and be responsible for general lab upkeep. The position will involve MRI operator training on the new 3T Siemens scanner on UMD campus. There may be opportunities for presenting data at conferences and co-authoring publications.

Experience with matlab (and other programming languages), neuroimaging analysis software (e.g., AFNI, SPM, FSL, Freesurfer), and/or linux is preferred. Applicants must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills and must enjoy working with children.

Salary will be competitive commensurate with experience and includes health benefits. The start date is flexible between mid-May and July. This is a 1-2 year position.

To apply please email your application to Daniel O’Young (droyoung@umd.edu). Application materials should include a cover letter detailing qualifications and interest, CV (with GPA), relevant coursework or transcript, and 2 letters of reference (with contact information).

It's really sort of depressing to think that attaining the "dream" is not possible. As watson said, there just aren't as many openings for the amount of applicants they are getting and every year that goes by I feel it will just get worse, which is why having to reapply numerous times just seems to be digging yourself in a bigger grave. Gah! It's like by the time you get to spot where you can compete with those "superstar" applicants, there won't be any more opportunities or the competition will just keep raising the bar before you can reach it.

I have to keep some hope...at least to try and reapply one more time. If that doesn't pan out then I'll have to do some serious re-evaluating of my life path, but for now I'll stick with this hope.

Like givingup said, if the graduate school thing doesn't pan out and all you have is a bachelor's in psychology, I don't know to me, it seems really depressing. I mean, you guys know how many people major in psychology and don't know what they're doing with their life (it's like the stereotypical scenario that someone majors in psych just because...but has not real plans for it) unlike people here on gradcafe who are obviously obsessed and passionate about their field. So I would really be depressed down the road to answer when someone asks what my degree is in and I say psych and I'm not doing anything substantial, I will just look like one of those losers who didn't plan or attempt to do anything with myself. I know that's a horrible light to put and that stereotype isn't always true, but I know people will see it as that, it's hard not to. They will think, "oh you should have gotten a better more useful degree". Sigh. Okay, I'm ranting here. Anyways, it's just sad to think that all the effort we put in doing research, going to conferences, publishing papers, will all be for nothing if we don't get accepted into graduate school. :/

The thing is really just that there are far, far, far more really awesome, super qualified applicants than there are spots. Especially right now, as more people are applying to grad school than ever before coupled with less and less available funding. The crazy thing is, that with the number of people getting psych PhDs there aren't anywhere near enough jobs (especially academic jobs, if your goal is to be a clinician then you're fine), and now we have a backlog of post-docs who are far cheaper (they only need salary, not tuition remission) who are there to do a lot of the same work and already have training. So yes, a large part of that feeling like it is super random is due to the simple fact that ad-coms have to turn down really super qualified people for PhD programs all the time and right now is a particularly bad time to be an applicant.

You're also correct in that GRE scores are not a good predictor of success, but they are frequently one of the very few ways schools have to judge your quantitative ability. And while we do use SPSS, ad-coms are seriously impressed by strong quant skills because it signals a likelihood of having aptitude for understanding stats beyond the basics (and therefore understanding how to design studies and analyze them appropriately based on stats knowledge). That said, obviously GRE scores aren't about stats skills, but they don't have much else to go on which is why they keep relying on it (flawed as it is). And yes, between two otherwise equal looking applications, they will invite the person with a higher GRE score before the one with the lower GRE score.

I'm not really sure what to say about the ABD thing, since it's way lower in psych and also ad-coms have no way of predicting that based on the application. People admitted to PhD programs typically all look stellar on paper. I think the issue there is with funding matched with the finding that the longer you stay in grad school the more bitter about it you become. But yeah, it's frustrating to think you can't get your foot in the door when other people are in and not liking it or not appreciating it.

When I was applying I applied to 8 schools and got into 5....but now that I'm a 4th year and I see the list of people invited to interview (we get a 'cheat sheet' filling us in on the details) I am blown away by the sheer strength of their applications. I seriously wonder if I could get into a program these days based on what I've seen. The 8 people we interviewed this year (and we're accepting 4) all had worked in labs at least 3 years, were all graduating/graduated at least magna cum laude, had GRE scores that were sky high, had given presentations at conferences, and most had taken a year or two off to be a full-time research assistant or lab manager in a lab headed by a big name in the field. They all had super well fitting research interests and were quite clear about those interests. But I doubt they were the only applicants who fell into those categories and plenty of people never got an interview even with strong applications.

It's just really true that it has never been more difficult to get admitted to a PhD program.

Thanks for the feedback. Congrats on being in a program and getting in when you did, Northwestern is one of the top schools and you deserve every bit of that acceptance! It's refreshing to hear it from the other side, someone on the inside. It's also depressing that it has gotten to the point that students in programs doubt their own ability to be in the program had they applied today and not a few years ago.

It's getting out of hand for sure and more and more it feels like a crapshoot. It sounds like you're very grateful and appreciative where you are today and that's really awesome!

It's really sort of depressing to think that attaining the "dream" is not possible. As watson said, there just aren't as many openings for the amount of applicants they are getting and every year that goes by I feel it will just get worse, which is why having to reapply numerous times just seems to be digging yourself in a bigger grave. Gah! It's like by the time you get to spot where you can compete with those "superstar" applicants, there won't be any more opportunities or the competition will just keep raising the bar before you can reach it.

I have to keep some hope...at least to try and reapply one more time. If that doesn't pan out then I'll have to do some serious re-evaluating of my life path, but for now I'll stick with this hope.

Like givingup said, if the graduate school thing doesn't pan out and all you have is a bachelor's in psychology, I don't know to me, it seems really depressing. I mean, you guys know how many people major in psychology and don't know what they're doing with their life (it's like the stereotypical scenario that someone majors in psych just because...but has not real plans for it) unlike people here on gradcafe who are obviously obsessed and passionate about their field. So I would really be depressed down the road to answer when someone asks what my degree is in and I say psych and I'm not doing anything substantial, I will just look like one of those losers who didn't plan or attempt to do anything with myself. I know that's a horrible light to put and that stereotype isn't always true, but I know people will see it as that, it's hard not to. They will think, "oh you should have gotten a better more useful degree". Sigh. Okay, I'm ranting here. Anyways, it's just sad to think that all the effort we put in doing research, going to conferences, publishing papers, will all be for nothing if we don't get accepted into graduate school. :/

I have a Masters in Psychology and even I think it's a waste at times. And that's depressing. We could all go to Psy.D programs and pay tons of money to get a degree, it seems like unless you can ace the GREs you're stuck in loan debt for life if you want to get beyond a Masters in this field.

Yeah, I have a master's degree as well. It is pretty much useless. With the exception that the master's degree will scare aware more potential employers because they are worried you might eventually take their position or that "we feel you're just too educated for this position" feeling, it feel like a four year degree. Luckily my master's degree was funded, so I didn't get stuck with the additional debt. I tell people with children starting college now to forget the grades and just start studying for the GRE. A PhD is not something you can just work your way toward. You have to be lucky to get there, then have the strength the finish it out when you get there. A lot to accomplish, but impossible if no one gives you a chance.