COLUMBIA!

akaplan

I don't mean to impose but how do you know they have finished reviewing your application? So nice to find someone in the same boat as me with Columbia :) I too was accepted to Penn!

When I contacted Columbia they told me that my application was reviewed on February 1st and that I should receive my decision very soon.

Hello Columbia folks, has anyone got the username and password they mentioned in the email? And have you applied for school housing? Thanks for any information.

I haven't gotten my username or password yet! Also did not apply for housing.

For those of you who have already been accepted or rejected, would you mind sharing your stats and anything else you know about the process? I'm still waiting to hear back.

Completed my application on 1/9, so I'm not panicking quite yet (well, maybe just a little bit.)

3.72 in political science & applied ethics from a private uni, years of volunteer experience with abused women and children, internships at social service agencies, and I'm currently employed full-time at the largest anti-hunger nonprofit in MA.

And on another note, what do people think about the importance of an ivy league education for social work? Is it really worth the price in the long run for someone looking to take on leadership roles in the macro side of things? Or would it be more prudent to get a dual msw/mph degree from another school in the top twenty for half the price?

I'm not sure, but I really think for any prospective MSW's, considering the pay-off of our education is really important. I would say it would be better to go to another school if Columbia doesn't offer enough money, because while it is a great school, in the end your motivation, inherent skills, etc. will really make or break the kind of job you get. Esp. since all the other schools you are applying to are also really good and will give you those opportunities! :)

I applied to Columbia on the application due date, pah, so I probably won't hear back too soon =/

Edit: On that note, KateC, considering your stats I actually think it is quite likely Columbia will give you good funding! Although I don't know how much they typically fund, your stats look like a cut above the rest so that can only help!

Edited by roxyshoe

I did apply. However, can I decline my housing later if I am not satisfied with it? btw, if I rent outside the campus, will it save cost?

I'm pretty sure you can decline housing later. Renting outside campus could save costs, but it depends on where you rent. Renting in an area like Washington Heights with a couple of roommates would definitely be cheaper than on campus housing. But at the same time, renting an apartment doesn't include costs of things like internet or utilities, which are included in the housing price. Your best bet would be to look for apartments in NYC and see what you can come up with; once you have an area in mind you can look for cheap apartments and compare the costs to housing.

For those of you who have already been accepted or rejected, would you mind sharing your stats and anything else you know about the process? I'm still waiting to hear back.

Completed my application on 1/9, so I'm not panicking quite yet (well, maybe just a little bit.)

3.72 in political science & applied ethics from a private uni, years of volunteer experience with abused women and children, internships at social service agencies, and I'm currently employed full-time at the largest anti-hunger nonprofit in MA.

And on another note, what do people think about the importance of an ivy league education for social work? Is it really worth the price in the long run for someone looking to take on leadership roles in the macro side of things? Or would it be more prudent to get a dual msw/mph degree from another school in the top twenty for half the price?

I was accepted on 2/1; my stats are 4.0 GPA with a B.A. in English and a minor in Anthropology. I have 5 years part-time work experience with children and teenagers as an assistant teacher and counselor, and have a lot of volunteer experience (i.e. delivering food, work at nursing homes, etc.) and strong letters of recommendation. Your stats look great to me! I hope you get in!!

Regarding the leadership roles/macro side of things: I am actually interested in pursuing a career in macro-level work. I really like Columbia's program because they have a concentration in Social Enterprise Administration, but there are also cheaper schools that offer similar concentrations. I was considering going for the Columbia dual degree in MSW/MPA, but I didn't have the right coursework to get into SIPA. Instead, I applied to the dual degree MSW/M.A. Judaic Studies, since I want to work in the Jewish communal field. CUNY Baruch has a part-time MPA program, so I was thinking that after I finish my MSW/MA I would consider going for that program... Though 3 masters degrees seems like a lot, I think the MPA would definitely be an advantage for macro-level practice.

I was accepted on 2/1; my stats are 4.0 GPA with a B.A. in English and a minor in Anthropology. I have 5 years part-time work experience with children and teenagers as an assistant teacher and counselor, and have a lot of volunteer experience (i.e. delivering food, work at nursing homes, etc.) and strong letters of recommendation. Your stats look great to me! I hope you get in!!

Regarding the leadership roles/macro side of things: I am actually interested in pursuing a career in macro-level work. I really like Columbia's program because they have a concentration in Social Enterprise Administration, but there are also cheaper schools that offer similar concentrations. I was considering going for the Columbia dual degree in MSW/MPA, but I didn't have the right coursework to get into SIPA. Instead, I applied to the dual degree MSW/M.A. Judaic Studies, since I want to work in the Jewish communal field. CUNY Baruch has a part-time MPA program, so I was thinking that after I finish my MSW/MA I would consider going for that program... Though 3 masters degrees seems like a lot, I think the MPA would definitely be an advantage for macro-level practice.

Hi arjayz, I applied to the dual degree in MSW/MPA. And I am waiting to hear back from SIPA. Fingers crossed! I also like the concentration of social enterprises. I have much professional experiences in both commercial and public fields, so social enterprise is really suitable for me. I heard that Columbia is excellent in this concentration.

These days, I am considering that, will my MSW acceptance enhance my possibility to get into SIPA? What can I do now? Do you have some suggestions? I think we are in the same boat.

Edited by DearLouise

Hi arjayz, I applied to the dual degree in MSW/MPA. And I am waiting to hear back from SIPA. Fingers crossed! I also like the concentration of social enterprises. I have much professional experiences in both commercial and public fields, so social enterprise is really suitable for me. I heard that Columbia is excellent in this concentration.

These days, I am considering that, will my MSW acceptance enhance my possibility to get into SIPA? What can I do now? Do you have some suggestions? I think we are in the same boat.

I don't know about SIPA, but I know that when I got accepted to Columbia, JTS (the program with the dual degree for M.A. in Judaic Studies called me to say congratulations on my acceptance to Columbia; Columbia had called them and informed them. I was accepted to their program a couple of days later. I assume that acceptance to one looks good when you're applying to more than one, but I don't know for sure.

I don't know about SIPA, but I know that when I got accepted to Columbia, JTS (the program with the dual degree for M.A. in Judaic Studies called me to say congratulations on my acceptance to Columbia; Columbia had called them and informed them. I was accepted to their program a couple of days later. I assume that acceptance to one looks good when you're applying to more than one, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for your information. And congratulations!! I think I'd better contact SIPA today, coz they didn't call me..this may not be a good sign...

KateC, thank you for your housing suggestions. The admissions office tells me that the admitted student usernames and password will be sending out to us after Feb 15th. So I guess the rest acceptance letters will be released soon. Don't worry, offers are on the way.

Got accepted to Uchicago on 2/9 with $28,000 for the first year (renewable for the second year!). Also got accepted to Columbia on 2/8. Received my package in the mail today. Still waiting on NYU, WUSTL, UPenn. I am thrilled about both my acceptances, but am torn between which one I would pick. Always had my heart set on Columbia because of NYC and the name of columbia. But UChicago is offering a huge scholarship, and i've heard many good things about their program. However, finances are not the single most important factor for me, since I can afford both programs. I just need more clarity on which program is better, where I would get a better experience. Btw, I'm pursuing a clinical concentration. Any advice would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Has anyone had trouble deciding between NYU and Columbia. I got a pretty good financial package from Columbia but still havent heard from NYU. The admissions office says that I will hear back in 2 weeks with the financial packet that day or the day after. It is cutting it REALLY close to when Columbia needs their decision by.

I have heard that NYU generally gives more money to students, so I am going back and forth about this decision. Any insight?

Hey everyone!

Has anyone had trouble deciding between NYU and Columbia. I got a pretty good financial package from Columbia but still havent heard from NYU. The admissions office says that I will hear back in 2 weeks with the financial packet that day or the day after. It is cutting it REALLY close to when Columbia needs their decision by.

I have heard that NYU generally gives more money to students, so I am going back and forth about this decision. Any insight?

Hi alamb277,

When did you hear back from NYU about their admission decision? When was your application complete? I got into Columbia in early February, but have not received my financial aid details yet. Have not heard back from NYU about an admissions decision, but if I were to get in there, I'd definitely be deciding between Columbia and NYU - in the end, my choice might come down to which school provides more financial aid...

Hey everyone!

I got accepted to NYU a few weeks ago- they emailed me to tell me I received a scholarship. It was a merit scholarship of $15k/year, and that was in addition to my financial aid. I didn't receive my financial aid package yet, but even if I don't get anything NYU still gave me more than Columbia! Besides my own experience I have heard from current students that NYU gives a lot more money out than Columbia, and they give merit scholarships (unlike Columbia.) Unfortunately, I don't want to go into clinical social work so the NYU program isn't really for me- but hope you hear back from them soon!!