What are you reading for fun?

wildviolet

I'm probably going to start the first book of the Hunger Games series soon. Aaaaaaaaand I think that's it so far.

Yes, I have reading ADD.

Me, too! Glad to know I'm not the only one with "reading ADD." Currently in the middle of A Place of My Own: The Architecture of Daydreams by Michael Pollan. Got Hunger Games and Moby Dick waiting on the shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm reading the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson...currently on the 2nd book, The Well of Ascension. It's a nice sci-fi/fantasy trilogy that deals a lot with political theory, class and power structure, religion, etc. I highly recommend it if you're into that kind of stuff!

My friends have been telling me to read the Game of Thrones series and the Hunger Games series... so I'll probably succumb to temptation at some point.

The last novel I read purely for my own interest was Lolita, but that was back in January. Alas, I just don't have much time for pleasure-reading during the semester. Summer is coming...

Reading Clash of Kings (from the Song of Ice and Fire series) and re-reading Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking. Also reading From Hinton to Hamlet for fun, although it is from the suggested reading list of an education course I took last term.

Edited by echolikebells

Bury me Standing by Isabella Fonseca

That is a great book.

I just finished Barnheart by Jenna Woginrich. Backyard agriculture is one of my hobbies. I am working on The World According to Monsanto by Marie-Monique Robin, and Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi. The former is depressing and the latter is a strange novel but I kind of like it.

I'm reading Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure The World by Tracy Kidder.

I loved that book. It was probably the best thing I read last year.

I'm reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles right now. I'm enjoying the writing well enough, but I don't feel connected to any of the characters.

Oh heavens, I can't recommend Patrick Rothfuss's (as yet incomplete) Kingkiller trilogy enough- The Name of the Wind made me fall in love with the fantasy genre all over again. It succeeds at being both funny and compelling, and it can be so difficult to find an author who can write such a story.

Love this thread!

I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, in dead-tree format. On my Kindle I'm half-way through The Best American Short Stories 2011. And I'm listening to the Librivox recording of Anna Karenina before going to bed or when doing chores around the house (most Librivox recording are bad, bad, bad -- you get what you pay for, I suppose -- but this one is quite okay... although not Audible quality).

I'm on the last book of the Wrinkle in Time series (never read them as a child), and I'm also working on Parable of the Talents (the second and, incidentally, the final in Octavia Butler's intended trilogy). Currently waiting for Margaret Atwood to write the third book in the MaddAddam trilogy (Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood). Apparently I love speculative fiction these days. I also throw in some Ursula LeGuin for good measure, and whatever the feminist bookclub I attend is reading that month.

For long-term personal enhancement, I am reading a textbook on Cost-Benefit Analysis (good times...). Because this textbook is soul-sucking, I am reading graphic novels for fun. Just finished Garth Ennis' super-intense, post-appocalyptic, zombie/infection, ultra-violence/horror book "Crossed" (not recommended for anyone with a weak stomach) and am moving on to Guy Davis' The Marquis. Literature wise, I am plodding my way through 1Q84 (Murakami) but I haven't been able to set aside more than a few hours each week to make significant inroads to this monster of a book.

I'm on the last book of the Wrinkle in Time series (never read them as a child), and I'm also working on Parable of the Talents (the second and, incidentally, the final in Octavia Butler's intended trilogy). Currently waiting for Margaret Atwood to write the third book in the MaddAddam trilogy (Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood). Apparently I love speculative fiction these days. I also throw in some Ursula LeGuin for good measure, and whatever the feminist bookclub I attend is reading that month.

Love the Wrinkle in Time series and Ursula LeGuin--I spent my middle school years in the public library reading all those fantasy novels!

Finally got around to reading Hunger Games last night. Literally could not put it down! Now I'm ready for the movie. :)

My husband read it Thursday after work and I read it Friday after class so we could watch it Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised with the movie and the book- reminded me a bit of The Giver.

Now reading The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan. Also have the movie "Food, Inc." waiting on iTunes.

Edited by wildviolet

I love this thread. Unfortunately, it's feeding my habit of buying books, setting them on my bookshelf, and not getting around to reading them. :mellow:

Anyone else have this problem?

I have a whole bookshelf full of this problem....hahaha. At least now I can say that I am reading one of those books that's been on my shelf for over a year!

As an aside, has anyone here read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger? What a strange and disturbing book...just finished it over the weekend, and I was left feeling like I wanted to talk to people about it.

Now reading The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan. Also have the movie "Food, Inc." waiting on iTunes.

Ah, Omnivore's Dilemma is a great book! I would also recommend In Defense of Food if you have not yet read that one (also by Pollan). If I were not perpetually a graduate student I could be a bit more mindful about the types of groceries I buy and food that I eat. Sadly, it's more expensive to eat healthy these days, a point Pollan made in the book as you know =)

I'm almost through with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I started a book called Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynne Truss. It's basically a fun book for punctuation sticklers to indulge in. I teach a few courses at a local community college, and the shock that I get from the poor writing is matched by the twisted pleasure I derive from correcting students' writing.

I also have the problem of buying books faster than I can read them. I had a conversation with a friend about this: he likes books, I like the idea of books. That's why I can't borrow a book from the library if I think I'm going to like it; I have to own a copy of it.

Edited by superbygk