What are you reading for fun?

wildviolet

Im extremely confused by the idea that you guys wouldn't wanna read your field material "for fun." Why are you even going into academia if you don't like it?? :wacko:

reading: Dao De Jing (trans. Roger Ames & Davis Hall) and Anarchist Voices (Paul Avrich)

Im extremely confused by the idea that you guys wouldn't wanna read your field material "for fun." Why are you even going into academia if you don't like it?? :wacko:

reading: Dao De Jing (trans. Roger Ames & Davis Hall) and Anarchist Voices (Paul Avrich)

Hmmm... you're kidding, right? :mellow:

:( No?

<--Confused?

LOL! :lol:

I really do enjoy reading academic stuff--I even wrote about it in my SOP, and I was accepted!

I started this thread to try and get some ideas for what to read for fun when I don't want to read the academic stuff (rather than just checking the bestseller lists, which aren't always my cup of tea). It's good that you're so into your field. Sometimes I just need a break (like, right after completing my thesis). :rolleyes:

LOL! :lol:

I really do enjoy reading academic stuff--I even wrote about it in my SOP, and I was accepted!

I started this thread to try and get some ideas for what to read for fun when I don't want to read the academic stuff (rather than just checking the bestseller lists, which aren't always my cup of tea). It's good that you're so into your field. Sometimes I just need a break (like, right after completing my thesis). :rolleyes:

Oohhhhhh. Well, my friend, that's what playing videogames and baseball is for. B)

Oohhhhhh. Well, my friend, that's what playing videogames and baseball is for. B)

Ha ha, too bad I have no talent for baseball (or any other sport for that matter) and the only video game I play is The Sims, which I haven't touched in a few years. I'm also trying to stretch myself and get out of my comfort zone, like trying some science fiction or contemporary fiction. Usually, I only like dead writers. ^_^ (These emoticons are so much fun! Ha ha, that must mean it's time to get off GradCafe and go to bed.)

once it becomes a job it's not so fun anymore. I save the journals I get in the mail and browse through them for fun, but when it comes to assigned reading, or more focused research reading, the same material isn't . it's kind of sad.

once it becomes a job it's not so fun anymore. I save the journals I get in the mail and browse through them for fun, but when it comes to assigned reading, or more focused research reading, the same material isn't . it's kind of sad.

i guess homeless, library-frequenting bum is the way to go. makes sense, actually

Well, I just treated myself to a kindle. I am ALL about reading - anything and everything now. :)

I had a nook color and it killed my eyes so I never read off of it but my bf LOVES his kindle so I traded my nook in for a kindle keyboard and promptly downloaded all those articles off jstor I have been saving for "time to read". Then we went sat in b&n yesterday and spent the entire day reading.

Academic reading just became really, really, really fun again. Although, I admit, I interspersed anthro theory reading with a few O. Henry stories. :) There are a huge number of books that are completely free for kindle that I never thought would be free.

I just finished getting caught up on the Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett (had to read Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight) and have now begun reading Anne McCaffrey's Pegasus in Flight for probably the 10th time, though the first time in about a decade.

I'm reading The Other Boleyn GIrl and Applied Clinical Neuropsychology... now the second one is just to get back in the swing of studying again. Kinda. I've been out of school since Spring 2009 and seriously miss studying :-/

A Country of Vast Designs: James K. Polk, the Mexican War, and the Conquest of the American Continent. I'll probably read American Lion (a biography of Andrew Jackson) next. Out of order I know, but still the same general time period.

I hate to admit it, but I am reading the Twilight series on plane rides to and from interviews. If you want a non-TV distraction from all the grad school application madness, I highly recommend it. I had a nice conversation with a sixth grader about it on a plane last week.

I hate to admit it, but I am reading the Twilight series on plane rides to and from interviews. If you want a non-TV distraction from all the grad school application madness, I highly recommend it. I had a nice conversation with a sixth grader about it on a plane last week.

I read papers of the people I'll interview with.

I've been reading "The Sex of Architecture" (ed. Diana Agrest), "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemmingway, "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett, "Rome" by Robert Hughes and "American Wife" by Curtis Sittenfeld.

Yes, I'm aware that I have a problem...

I've got a huge stack of books that I shouldn't be reading but in the midst of schoolwork and the waiting game, I decided I deserve to read for fun at least a little, right? I just picked Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, and I've also made a small dent in The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson. I also recently read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. The nice thing about YA lit is that it usually takes less than a day to get through a book. (The bad part? That's a day I usually should have spent, um, studying... whatever.)

Just finished Microbe Hunters by de Kruif (it's from 1926 so there's, um, a hefty amount of racism in the book, but it's a really well-written history of the start of microbiology as a study), and I'm currently starting The Poisoner's Handbook (can't remember the author), which is about the dawn of forensic toxicology in NY in the 1920s. Both awesome reads! I'm also partway through Polio: An American History, which is great, but I keep getting distracted by other books. :P

I'm also partway through the 4th book of A Song of Ice and Fire, but I've gotten bored by his writing style (or lack thereof) so I'm taking a short break. I'm probably going to start the first book of the Hunger Games series soon. Aaaaaaaaand I think that's it so far.

Yes, I have reading ADD.

Just started two more:

Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King. He keeps making allusions to central Texas and it makes me smile- and laugh. There's certainly something in the Waco water (everyone has filters for a reason).

Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally - never read it but feel I should

Oh- and the instructions for a new pair of 30's trousers. I feel I'll get through this first

For me, it worked best to read papers before I left so I could relax on the plane and not think about the interview. To each his/her own!

Yeah, that's what I would have wanted to do, except that I always got my list of interviewrs last minute. I read papers by prospective advisors much earlier, of course.