Does Anyone Else Have to Wait Until March/April To Hear Back?

stephanie.ms.antunes

As a huge nerd who has taken a year off of school and is now missing it dearly, I cannot wait to hear back from Graduate Schools to make sure I have gotten in at least somewhere. Unfortunately, most of my schools have it listed on their website that decisions will not be made until April.

Having said this, I am still checking GradCafe waaaay more than anyone ever should, as well as looking up apartments in the different areas, and checking my status online.

...This is not healthy, and I probably shouldn't be doing this for the next 3 months.

Anyone have any advice on what they are doing to stop obsessing? Or is anyone at least as bad as I am?

Feel free to post any thoughts, suggestions or advice here! :)

Yup I think in Canada we usually hear back in March/April. I've heard of schools notifying in early-mid Feb. I'm not really thinking about it too much by having low expectations and by focusing on my "Plan B." So it will be a nice surprise if I get in somewhere and I will be able to start imagining life in a new location / school. By not forming an attachment to a particular outcome, I feel like whatever happens will be for the best. This has also kept me mostly relaxed during application season although there were a few freak-outs during the process.

That's probably not helpful as by your post I can tell you are eager to hear back/decide on a school. Just a few more weeks left!

About half of the schools I applied to had deadlines of Jan 15th for application, so for most of those schools I don't expect to hear anything until end of February at the earliest possibly March. I just started hearing back from 3 of the dec 1st to 15th application deadline schools last week (rejections so far) so for me at least I expect to wait weeks if not at least another month before hearing from most schools.

So I feel a bit ridiculous having made that post this morning. I just got a call from the grad director telling me that they were forwarding my file for admission! *Takes foot out of mouth*

Still need to hear back from the rest of the schools. Best of luck to everyone waiting on Canadian/spring admits.

Applied for MPP/MPA programs so wont hear till early March.....of course that doesnt stop me from waking up at weird hours every night to check my email!

Me neither! I feel like there's still a small chance they may release them early, so here I am...everyday....

I definitely empathize; I'm taking a year off as well and waiting for march responses is nerve racking. I've set limits to how long I cam use my computer during the day, it forces me to do other things and enjoy the fact that this year off is a much needed break. Just my two cents, but just the other day it was January so hang in there!

I definitely empathize; I'm taking a year off as well and waiting for march responses is nerve racking. I've set limits to how long I cam use my computer during the day, it forces me to do other things and enjoy the fact that this year off is a much needed break. Just my two cents, but just the other day it was January so hang in there!

Very true! That's a good idea too! Thank you! :)

Unfortunately I only have a subsample of about... 3-4 applicants to my two top choices combined on the Results Survey over the last 3(!) years... But out of those two, it seems admissions occur in late February - early March. Maddening, and my heart stops everytime I see one of those schools in the results survey and it's ANY comparable program.

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to all Canadian schools, so I have a lot of waiting to do. I did hear back from one place early -- only to be put on a waitlist, so you know. And one of my top choices teased me with an automated e-mail that claimed the decision would take 3 - 4 weeks (after the January 15th application); nothing yet, of course. I am thus a slave to this website, pretty much 24/7.

One particular school I applied to had a app due date of December 1st, and I've still not heard back. I'm pretty irritated.

Don't worry too much about this. Every school handles things extremely differently, and decisions can take longer depending on where you stand in their application pool. I was accepted today to 3 schools (which was nuts) that had deadlines of Feb 1, but I have yet to hear anything at all from the schools that had deadlines of Dec 15, 31, and Jan 10. The Dec 15 school actually just had their admissions meeting yesterday!

Don't worry too much about this. Every school handles things extremely differently, and decisions can take longer depending on where you stand in their application pool. I was accepted today to 3 schools (which was nuts) that had deadlines of Feb 1, but I have yet to hear anything at all from the schools that had deadlines of Dec 15, 31, and Jan 10. The Dec 15 school actually just had their admissions meeting yesterday!

I actually received an email from them in late December saying that they were already reviewing applications... Ah well. It's not my #1 choice, so I don't really have any reason to be annoyed.

Many school would not release their admission results untill late March and the dates of every individual department of the same school also differ from each other. So just be patient and wait for the admission letters come. :)

I'm expecting to wait til mid-late March. Two of my applications were due mid January but the rest were due near the end of the month.. so I don't know. I didn't expect to get anything in Feb, but people's posts in here are freaking me out a little! I also know one person who just got accepted to York, which worries me even more because I always thought I was a really good candidate.

• 3 weeks later...