Negotiating for Higher Offer?

The head of the English department at my current school (which is one of the five I applied to for grad school) told me to make sure to negotiate with them. He said "Just make sure you negotiate. We'll try to match, but if we can't, at least other places might give you more!" as a comment on one of my posts on Google+.

Has anyone done this? If so, how did you go about it?

Ex: School Z offered me a tuition waiver with a $12,000 stipend. You offered me a tuition waiver with an $8,000 stipend, can you do any better?

I'm really not sure how to word it of if I should send an official letter to the university?

I managed to negotiate it but i am not sure if I can give you the most appropriate answer. Maybe someone did this in an official letter etc. Frankly, I just talked to my POI. I was in reality hesitating only about the school because of the money. he called me several times and did not undertsand why I hesitated. When it was getting close to decision time I finally told him that I was not sure I could live on the money. He got back to me with a nicer offer (summer money, extra fellowship) in 1! day. I think what helped me was 1. a POI who was really interested 2.a competing offer which actually tempted me & what I almost missed : I had to actually tell the POI about the problem so he mobilized his resources.

I'm sure your chances depend a great deal on the individual school, and especially on whether it's public or private. Public schools might be able to offer you a fellowship or GA for more funding, but I imagine at many public U programs, TA stipends are fixed by policy. Obviously, be discrete and respectful when asking. Since you have a sympathetic faculty member at your current school, you could probably ask him for help with the specific wording.

I was given similar advice from the graduate advisor at my school and feel similarly lost as to how to go about it. Not that I need to at this point, I only have one acceptance so far. I wouldn't hesitate to say something, though. It certainly can't hurt. I've been consistently surprised, though perhaps I shouldn't be, at the number of people on these committees willing to actually listen and treat applicants as human beings.

Ask about the possibility of top-off funds. For public schools anyway, I think the TA stipend is a set amount, so asking for them to increase that probably won't get you anywhere. However, top-off funds and fellowships can sometimes be found.

Ask about the possibility of top-off funds. For public schools anyway, I think the TA stipend is a set amount, so asking for them to increase that probably won't get you anywhere. However, top-off funds and fellowships can sometimes be found.

Just to be clear, this varies by department, even within a university. My department as a rule does not offer top-off funds or fellowships to anyone, even though the Graduate School provides such funds to the department. Instead, everyone presenting at a conference gets an equal share of that pool of money to support their conference attendance.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump to this thread. I've been accepted into two programs, one with and one without funding. IMHO, I think anyone is doing themselves a diservice if they don't try to get themselves as much support as possible. However, in my position, I'm worried about working over my one admit with funding and having them call my bluff, e.g. "'X' school is offering me $15,000... yada yada." Although, I forsee myself fighting with drifters for spots on park benches with my $10,000 offer.

I actually met with the department head (he's currently my professor, so I have an "in" that way) and discussed a few concerns I had with my initial offer. He's a friend on facebook, so he saw me discuss my offer from another school with family/friends. He actually was the one who brought up the numbers... "They offered you 9700, right? Well I'm sure we have enough funds to increase your stipend from 8500 to 10500. I can get you that in writting too."

I haven't gotten any info on funding yet, but I think if my higher choices don't offer me as much money, I will definitely get in touch with someone. I'm thinking I would contact whoever has been emailing/calling me through this application process, and say something like:

"I am definitely interested in your program [insert details here about it/why]. However, I am concerned with my ability to attend due to financial constraints. I have received a higher financial aid package from another university, and am having difficulty making a decision because I would prefer your program."

add in a few more niceties and see what happens... I think if it's a legit concern, and you really do have a better offer elsewhere, it's a win-win. I don't see them rescinding the offer, and so worst case is that you don't get more money and have to stick with the original options.

Yeah, I think the basic structure to your message is on target bgreenster. I'm also going to get in contact with professors and current grad students and ask to some questions to prove my interest (I didn't target any POI's in the process). Yeah, worst case scenario is they say no and you have a fallback. That's why you've gotta ask.

I would also recommend looking up negotiation tips from the "world of business". Those types negotiate on salaries, etc, all the damn time, so there's some good advice out there on the Internet.

I do think that a big thing is not to feel guilty about your request and don't apologize.

Edited by rainy_day

I do think that a big thing is not to feel guilty about your request and don't apologize.

Agreed. You've got to be respectful and polite, of course, but for me a big part of grad school has been recognizing that I am a valuable asset to my department. Part of that recognition is certainly getting paid. That doesn't mean you'll be successful, of course, but any department worth its salt should expect grad students who value what they bring to the table.

Another element my professor recommended considering negotiating is teaching load! Maybe a school can't offer you more money, but could plausibly lighten your teaching load for the same money, which I think in some cases could be just as valuable.

Edited by impending

I really love CUNY's program. If they could offer the kind of package Rutgers offers, it would make my decision way tougher.

I was also really attracted to CUNY's program. It was probably my top choice, of the schools that I think I had a realistic chance of getting into. I'm sorry we won't be cohort-mates :(

I was also really attracted to CUNY's program. It was probably my top choice, of the schools that I think I had a realistic chance of getting into. I'm sorry we won't be cohort-mates :(

Unless we both randomly decide that UMass Amherst is the perfect fit. B) When are you visiting? I'm going in late March.

Unless we both randomly decide that UMass Amherst is the perfect fit. B) When are you visiting? I'm going in late March.

I'm trying to go the first week in March. I'll be in MA then anyway, so I'm going to try to hit up both UMass and BU that week.

Bump to this thread. I've been accepted into two programs, one with and one without funding. IMHO, I think anyone is doing themselves a diservice if they don't try to get themselves as much support as possible. However, in my position, I'm worried about working over my one admit with funding and having them call my bluff, e.g. "'X' school is offering me $15,000... yada yada." Although, I forsee myself fighting with drifters for spots on park benches with my $10,000 offer.

This is where I'm finding myself, except I have one offer with potential scholarships and one offer with no potential scholarships, and neither have offered me funding so far. I'm going to contact the school with no scholarships and ask them if there's anything they can do for me, because I do very much want to attend their program, and I'd definitely be willing to teach in the second year of my MA in exchange for tuition waivers or even just a reduction from out of state to in state tuition.

Does anyone have experience doing this for an MA? Did it work? Any pointers?

• 2 weeks later...

I just sent a grovelling 'please sir can I have more' e-mail... I have justified a 2K increase for first year only request on the grounds of international shipping costs... I will let you know how it pans out

Frozenroses -- how did it go? Any updates?