University of Toronto-any news 2012 fall?

gexinhmily

Hey, did you get an official letter of offer yet? I got accepted to MGA too, but still waiting on the letter. They say that any financial support information, if applicable, will be in that letter.

MGA is also an OSAP-approved program, if it helps. You may be able to get loans/grants that way to cover cost.

I have been trying to find out more about the MGA than what is one the website. Cjanney, I got accepted to the MGA last week. What do you think about it. Did you apply to anything else in the global/international affairs??

I don't know how much weight I would put on their website... I was offered admission and accepted it weeks ago and I just checked the website and my status on there is "under review." This probably depends on program though. I'm Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.

I have been trying to find out more about the MGA than what is one the website. Cjanney, I got accepted to the MGA last week. What do you think about it. Did you apply to anything else in the global/international affairs??

I also applied and was accepted into Master of Public Policy (MPP) at U of T, Master of Public Administration (MPA) at Queen's.

I think MGA is for those who really want to gain experience outside of Canada and work for long-term in international organizations. Most of their internships are outside of Canada. It depends on where you want to be. From my conversations with professors and some academic advisors, MPP and MPA are professional degrees that suit those who want to enter the government.

They say people'd be getting official letters from MGA in early April, but I'm impatient. I wish I could get it faster so that I can plan how much I'm gonna need for tuition and stuff.

What about you? What do you think?

I got into MGA last Thursday, shortly after posting my last comment. That means I'm turning down both MAPS and MPP for those who are waiting. Though, previous posters are right - last year answers went out until early April. Don't be discouraged if you haven't heard from any program, there is still time!

cjanney - did you get a funding offer in the email, or are you waiting for the letter? Look into the OSAP estimator, and also explore U of T's UTAPS program which can provide bursary money. They also have an estimator and do it by program.

I applied to the Statistics PhD Program and my status is still "under review". I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed!

If I had heard before from UToronto I would have strongly considered an acceptance there, but now even if the acceptance should come is far too late... the April 15th is getting closer and closer!

As an international student it would be late for me to arrange a visit in Toronto and I am already making a final choice between two other schools.

cjanney - did you get a funding offer in the email, or are you waiting for the letter? Look into the OSAP estimator, and also explore U of T's UTAPS program which can provide bursary money. They also have an estimator and do it by program.

I got the official letter today, and they didn't offer me any scholarship. Guess I'll hope for OSAP to help me out.

Did you get funding with your offer of admission?

I got into MGA last Thursday, shortly after posting my last comment. That means I'm turning down both MAPS and MPP for those who are waiting. Though, previous posters are right - last year answers went out until early April. Don't be discouraged if you haven't heard from any program, there is still time!

By MAPS do you mean Masters of Asia Pacific Studies? If so, which home department did you apply to?

Canteaus - Yep, Masters of Asia Pacific Studies. I applied to Political Science, Planning and Public Policy.

Thanks for the info! It says on the website that the MAPS program limits the number of students to 20, do you know if this is true? I heard that usually their program had less than 20 students

I'm pretty sure 20 is the limit, but U of T has a tendency to offer admission to their first round - many of whom don't take it. The reality is that MA funding (especially in polisci) generally sucks. So, many of those initially offered a place will turn it down for other schools. Which home department did you apply to? I actually was a U of T undergrad and did my research at the Asian Institute. It was a fantastic experience, MAPS/MPP was my top choice after MGA.

I'm pretty sure 20 is the limit, but U of T has a tendency to offer admission to their first round - many of whom don't take it. The reality is that MA funding (especially in polisci) generally sucks. So, many of those initially offered a place will turn it down for other schools. Which home department did you apply to? I actually was a U of T undergrad and did my research at the Asian Institute. It was a fantastic experience, MAPS/MPP was my top choice after MGA.

I see!

I'm currently on the wait list for EAS. Hopefully a spot opens up!

cjanney - I got an offer with the email, but the tuition is still higher than anywhere else I applied. But, it's my top choice anyway, so I'm embracing the debt and accepting. My mother put it this way, "if you could take out a $20k loan right now, to buy a house worth a million dollars over time, would you do it?". I guess I'm investing in my future, and my happiness.

Are you accepting?

cjanney - I got an offer with the email, but the tuition is still higher than anywhere else I applied. But, it's my top choice anyway, so I'm embracing the debt and accepting. My mother put it this way, "if you could take out a $20k loan right now, to buy a house worth a million dollars over time, would you do it?". I guess I'm investing in my future, and my happiness.

Are you accepting?

After a few days of thinking, I've decided that I'm going to MPP at U of T. I wish you the best of luck at MGA!

cjanney - Good luck! One of my best friends is doing the MPP program as well. Also, I spoke to some of the faculty and they said that the electives will likely diversify next year, with some crossover to the MGA. I'm personally really jealous of the August stats/math primer you can do.

• 3 weeks later...

rejected from 1st choice program at UofT :( making me sad because I realized I applied to 4 diff. programs at UofT over the last 5 yrs (1 for undergrad admission, one for transferring after 2nd yr and 2 grad school programs). Due to various reasons, I weren't able to take some of offers and was rejected from the one I would actually take. o well, if I ever decided to go for a PhD, I can try again haha

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but have read through it many, many times. This is what happens when you've applied to a program in mid-January and still haven't heard anything over two months later. NEUROSES!!!

So, I've applied to the MPH (epi) and am awaiting acceptance/rejection. Any news out there for epi? I've also applied to the MHI (health informatics) and read that if offered an interview,to have sealed transcripts submitted to the department by April 1st, but I've not heard anything from them yet. Does the department assume I already have the hard copies on hand and will expedite delivery to them just before their April 1 deadline (assuming I'm even offered an interview)? I dunno. Any updates about the MHI program, anyone?

Thanks!

Hi,

I also applied to the MHI program at uoft, have you heard anything yet??

U of T MPP Fall 2012:

I called on Monday to enquire about my application, she said she thinks I am on the wait list if I haven't heard anything, but would check & get back to me...I didn't hear back, so I emailed her today..I can't really make a good enough guess as to the process/timelines at this point--so it leads me to these questions:

Does anyone know how long applicants who were offered 2nd round offers have to accept?? (At least I think they are 2nd round offers, they were extended last week I believe).

Does anyone know whether the class is full yet??

Thanks

:)

I still haven't heard anything at all from the IBBME graduate program - my application still says "Under Review". I guess it's a moot point now as I've accepted my place at Western, I just would've thought I would hear something back! Obviously I'm not expecting an acceptance at this stage but some sort of acknowledgement would be nice.

Hey,

Has anyone applied to UofT for Health Informatics? Acceptance/rejection/or wait list?

Thanks

Hi Seams - I am awaiting for my decision yet for MHI. Dunno what would be the eventual decision. Just hoping things don't go haywire...what's your status?