Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

Loving this on the results board, from a Princeton computer engineering rejectee:

"Got a second rejection letter from the Dean today. Thinking of rejecting the Dean's rejection letter and attending Princeton in the Fall."

I think he/she should go for it.

Loving this on the results board, from a Princeton computer engineering rejectee:

"Got a second rejection letter from the Dean today. Thinking of rejecting the Dean's rejection letter and attending Princeton in the Fall."

LOL! Who says those sciencey mathy people aren't witty?

(I say it actually...but that is funny).

Edited by joega1111

Speaking of airplanes . . . is anyone else freaking out about the idea of moving? I was lucky enough to get an acceptance very early on, but it's certainly given me plenty of time to obsess over the fact that this is really, actually definitely going to happen - - and soon!

Add to this that I only applied to one school in my home state, and that I almost certainly will not be able to afford to visit programs before April 15th, and that I have quite literally only seen snow three times in my entire life . . .

Speaking of airplanes . . . is anyone else freaking out about the idea of moving? I was lucky enough to get an acceptance very early on, but it's certainly given me plenty of time to obsess over the fact that this is really, actually definitely going to happen - - and soon!

Add to this that I only applied to one school in my home state, and that I almost certainly will not be able to afford to visit programs before April 15th, and that I have quite literally only seen snow three times in my entire life . . .

In the same boat (lived in the snow for awhile though, but I've spent most of my life in CA). Trying really hard to get a friend with a van to go on a road trip cross-country with me so I can take my library ... can't imagine paying for shipping for all of these things, or leaving them behind.

Edited by athousandlemmings

In the same boat (lived in the snow for awhile though, but I've spent most of my life in CA). Trying really hard to get a friend with a van to go on a road trip cross-country with me so I can take my library ... can't imagine paying for shipping for all of these things, or leaving them behind.

I'm in a similar but opposite boat. Unless I choose to go to IU, I'm going from having had 22 years of snowy, cold winters to warmer climates. Strange. Luckily, my mom is obsessed with road trips, and is already planning for a cross-country drive this summer. This means I get to keep my books. Oh, thank goodness. Hopefully I can afford an apartment large enough to hold them...

Edited by bdon19

The farthest away school I've been accepted to, Amherst, is 3.5 hours away. Rutgers is an hour away. CUNY is in my backyard. ^_^ Moving shouldn't be too much stress, though with my partner and I having cohabitated for 3 years now, it's going to suck if we have to live apart for a little bit. He can't leave his job and commuting from New Brunswick via NJ Transit would probably kind of blow for him. Well, at any rate, at least I didn't get into Davis (and decide to go). I am sad that it appears Boston schools won't work out. We love Boston and we were looking for an excuse to transition back. Oh well. Hope is still faintly alive.

Okay, this is such an example of #AccepteesProblems, but I just spent an hour and a half emailing people from [redacted] university who have contacted me--and I was mostly just saying "I am going to be out of town for a few days, I'll forward some questions to you afterward!" The biggest program to which I've applied is also being the most welcoming, and I'm kind of getting overwhelmed. :unsure: I just ate through nearly half a tub each of trader joe's triple ginger snaps and dark chocolate-sea salt covered almonds in order to physically occupy myself, and now I am too caffeinated. And I need to wake up early tomorrow, to write a more thought-out email to ANOTHER POI.

Okay, this is such an example of #AccepteesProblems, but I just spent an hour and a half emailing people from [redacted] university who have contacted me--and I was mostly just saying "I am going to be out of town for a few days, I'll forward some questions to you afterward!" The biggest program to which I've applied is also being the most welcoming, and I'm kind of getting overwhelmed. :unsure: I just ate through nearly half a tub each of trader joe's triple ginger snaps and dark chocolate-sea salt covered almonds in order to physically occupy myself, and now I am too caffeinated. And I need to wake up early tomorrow, to write a more thought-out email to ANOTHER POI.

Ugh, I can only imagine. UMass has been REALLY nice and welcoming to me and it's going to be shitty if/when I decline. Sometimes I feel like if I don't accept by late-March (like they're probably all expecting) that I'll hurt someone's feelings or they'll take the offer away. Yeesh.

Trying really hard to get a friend with a van to go on a road trip cross-country with me so I can take my library ... can't imagine paying for shipping for all of these things, or leaving them behind.

I'm doing this too! Fortunately, Providence is only 6.5 hours (according to Google Maps) from where I live now. Albeit, across a border. A very reasonable road trippin' distance. Also, I've spent much of the past 5 years living abroad and travelling and trying not to amass things. The only furniture I own is a one of those crappy Ikea shelves, and an almost equally crappy mattress. Easy!

Hey, I'm really enjoying this thread. Glad to know that I'm not alone.

Still waiting to hear from two more schools. Already got once acceptance (with full funding and scholarship) and one short-list. I applied only to schools that I would actually want to go to (no safety schools for me), so any acceptance would be fine. I really don't want to have to choose--too many variables to consider. So, I'm almost hoping for rejections from the two remaining schools so that I can finally relax and start making plans to relocate.

It's funny how not knowing all the outcomes, even though I already have one acceptance and would be perfectly happy going there, is stressful. I'm looking forward to September.

Is anyone else having extreme job apathy knowing you'll be gone in a few months? Like, I'm gonna need this money, but can I please just quit and go read books all day?

Signed,

Paralegal Sneakily Posting at Work

Ooohhh, you and I have the same life (and job). Except there is nothing sneaky about my postings while at work. :P

Ugh, I can only imagine. UMass has been REALLY nice and welcoming to me and it's going to be shitty if/when I decline. Sometimes I feel like if I don't accept by late-March (like they're probably all expecting) that I'll hurt someone's feelings or they'll take the offer away. Yeesh.

This, totally. Texas A&M is being SO nice to me and they're paying for my flight to College Station for recruitment weekend but I just don't know if I'm in love with the program...

Greetings from LaGuardia, home of the $8 WiFi! :blink:

Signs that Dorinda is Not Smart Enough For Grad School, #321:

Failure to exchange Canadian currency before entering the United States coupled with failure to eat breakfast before leaving Canada results in a recruitment weekend starting off on a (very) empty stomach. :wacko:

Greetings from LaGuardia, home of the $8 WiFi! :blink:

Signs that Dorinda is Not Smart Enough For Grad School, #321:

Failure to exchange Canadian currency before entering the United States coupled with failure to eat breakfast before leaving Canada results in a recruitment weekend starting off on a (very) empty stomach. :wacko:

Haha, you're in my neck of the woods. Yeah, nothing's free in New York; not even wi-fi.