Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

annieca: If you're doing your thesis in the UK, was this LOR-writer British?  British academics have a reputation for writing bluntly honest LOR assessments of their students, while American academics focus on their students' strengths.  So cultural differences could be part of the issue.

annieca: If you're doing your thesis in the UK, was this LOR-writer British?  British academics have a reputation for writing bluntly honest LOR assessments of their students, while American academics focus on their students' strengths.  So cultural differences could be part of the issue.

Well... er... yeah there could be some truth to that, but as a Brit I am hugely shocked that someone would write such a thing. None of the academics in my department would ever write such a thing!

If a supervisor/tutor cannot or does not want to write a strong letter for a student then they should just tell the student that they cannot do it and perhaps suggest someone else to ask. If I'm understanding correctly (having not see the letter) it seems to me rather cruel to write such things, knowing full well that it could damage someone's chances.

However, I agree with the others that hopefully your other LORs and writing sample will make up for it.

@TMP- sort of. I'm writing it this semester. My true supervisor is one of those blunt Brits as Katenmusik noted. However I'm Skyping into my Honors Colloquium from Wales so I needed a supervisor from my home university. She's mostly there so Carroll's happy and doesn't have to deal with my British supervisor who has no idea what's going on.

Clear as mud, I know.

The professor's American. *shrug* She drinks enough tea to be a Brit. ;)

@annieca: Hmm, well, if your application is otherwise strong, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  It's just one, weird outlier letter from someone who should have declined to write a rec. 

@Sio68 : Good to know British LORs wouldn't be quite that blunt!

Re-reading discussions I had come across about British LORs, the specific comments made were that they were "under-stated," "bland" and "low key" compared to American LORs.  (See: http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,29127.msg393762.html#msg393762 and http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,43914.msg736674.html#msg736674) 

But yeah, maybe saying one's student is better at cleaning than at writing history is going too far for anyone who promised to write a "strong recommendation."  :)

@NEN and others- sorry I just noticed that my inbox was indeed full. I'm sorry. I've cleared out some so feel free to send me PMs again.

@annieca: Hmm, well, if your application is otherwise strong, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  It's just one, weird outlier letter from someone who should have declined to write a rec. 

@Sio68 : Good to know British LORs wouldn't be quite that blunt!

Re-reading discussions I had come across about British LORs, the specific comments made were that they were "under-stated," "bland" and "low key" compared to American LORs.  (See: http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,29127.msg393762.html#msg393762 and http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,43914.msg736674.html#msg736674) 

But yeah, maybe saying one's student is better at cleaning than at writing history is going too far for anyone who promised to write a "strong recommendation."  :)

(This is a bit OT, but it might help some transatlantic applicatants:)

I think this is a mixture of general cultural difference, specific University attended and plain old individual circumstance.

Generally Americans are much more... what's the right way to put this (?!)... 'out there' and 'enthusiastic' than the Brits. We'd say 'over the top' (lol.. not meant to be an insult per se). Although a stereotype, my experience on both sides of the pond tells me that there's some truth to the idea that the British are reserved (at least in comparison with some other nationalities). Although the younger generation are certainly different, it's very much the case that we do not really 'gush', we're not that touchy-feely, we're actually much less blunt/straight-forward in our speech. It would be seen as distasteful to be too 'over the top' with an LOR, and I can imagine that generally, there would be a much more subtle/formal tone to the British letters.

The other issue here is University. If you attend Oxford/Cambridge... some others, there's a very good chance you will not form any kind of close relationship with a supervisor. Particularly at undergrad, both also potentially at MA level. You stand a better chance of knowing your tutors at some of the other UK Universities. I am very lucky to have a very friendly department and a supervisor who has made a huge effort getting to know me and supporting me.

On top of this... it's just luck! Some Oxbridge people will know their supervisors well.. some in the other Unis will have crappy departments, some will have a supervisor from the ark (... meaning that they're old-school upper class, distant and a bit eccentric :lol: )

First acceptance letter came in today! It's a Library Science School so don't everyone start frantically checking your email. Although I bet you're already doing that. :P

Even though it is lower on my list of favorites, I'm happy I got in somewhere!

First acceptance letter came in today! It's a Library Science School so don't everyone start frantically checking your email. Although I bet you're already doing that. :P

Congrats annieca!!! I'm overjoyed for you as the first one on the list of acceptances here. Celebrate!  :lol:

Congratssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Congrats! Glad it worked out with that LOR mess.

Did you apply at IU through their History department?

@stillalive - I did. I haven't heard back from the History Department yet. Just the School of Library Science (lovingly referred to as SLIS).

Many many thanks everyone! I will be happy to congratulate you all when you get accepted to the many places I'm sure you will be!

@stillalive - I did. I haven't heard back from the History Department yet. Just the School of Library Science (lovingly referred to as SLIS).

Many many thanks everyone! I will be happy to congratulate you all when you get accepted to the many places I'm sure you will be!

you think too highly of us, annieca ;) I just want ONE acceptance, so I don't have to make any decisions...

@annieca-I'm assuming you applied for the Dual MA program they have? Sounds like a good stint there. I'm not even sure if my application is being considered there, seeing as how two of my recommendations were submitted weeks after the deadline. Hopefully it works out for both of us though!

Anyone else applying to the University of Washington?

Edited by stillalivetui

Is it just me or is it really hard seeing all the science peeps getting results?!

We've probably got weeks to wait yet, but it feels like ages ago that I submitted my first application! *le sigh*

You have to remember that for any given school...  you probably submitted your application in early december, the administrative people had a couple of weeks maybe to go through and pull out any applicant that doesn't meet hard requirements like GRE or missing transcripts or something like that.  I was told by one program (not the one I attend) that 20% of their applicants are "not real".  C students, people whose academic records contain fraud, foreign applicants that are just trying to get visas.  I know of one Science and Technology Studies program that says they get ten chinese engineering student applicants every year.

So after the admin people do that kind of sorting they than have holiday breaks.  So assume all of that happened in december.  Than admissions committees have to meet.  So imagine you are a professor at a top program that gets 300-400 applicants a year.  You aren't going to read all those applicants because some are outside your area.  But say you are a modern americanist or europeanist... It's not unreasonable to suggest that you will have to read 100 or so of those applications.  Just thinking about the writing samples, that means 2500 PAGES of material to read.  And than you have to meet with your collegues and discuss.

All during this time semesters are ending, finals are being given, hiring committees are meeting, the AHA and OAH are going on... and your new semester is starting.

it's kind of a miracle any of these schools release results by the end of january.

Edited by New England Nat

Oh, don't get me wrong- I totally get it! I can't even imagine the hours that go into reviewing applications. I know how long it takes me to go through and mark undergrad essays and give the students verbal feedback. It's hard work and time consuming. The fact that all of this falls over the Christmas break just adds to it all.

It's just funny that I never realised all this waiting around was going to bother me... (and some days it doesn't). I think it's a mixture of nerves, and the unknown. As soon as semester kicks off properly here I'll likely forget all about it because I'll be so busy.

Is it just me or is it really hard seeing all the science peeps getting results?!

We've probably got weeks to wait yet, but it feels like ages ago that I submitted my first application! *le sigh*

Yeah I'm with you. Although my roommate just got a rejection from one his top choices, so it got me dreading some possible bad news for me. I'll take the waiting just for the sake of having the feeling of hope alive.

Edited by stillalivetui