Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

From the sounds of it from others on this board, medieval has been a very difficult field this year. It may have had nothing to do with your application at all.

Yeah, that is a small beacon of hope. I also have some contacts I can talk to and see if there were any more systemic problems.

I was just talking with a friend who's a G5 about the size of the app pool this year. We're both stumped because it's supposed to shrink when the economy expands  :)

The issue with medieval is that these days many programs (especially the top programs) only accept 1 medievalist a year. It can make for pretty tough competition and you may have just been unlucky.

Also, my list didn't include much of a safety.

Hi all. I discovered this site somewhat late in process, and I've been hovering on it ever since.

I applied to Temple as well, should I assume at this point that no news is bad news?

Hi all. I discovered this site somewhat late in process, and I've been hovering on it ever since.

I applied to Temple as well, should I assume at this point that no news is bad news?

just pm'd you...

I noticed that no less than 3 medieval tenure jobs became available this year at schools I was interested in.  I think a lot of the medievalists who came out of the 1960s and 1970s are retiring, so the schools can't take on a large medieval cohort, or they are tapering off in anticipation of that. 

I noticed that no less than 3 medieval tenure jobs became available this year at schools I was interested in.  I think a lot of the medievalists who came out of the 1960s and 1970s are retiring, so the schools can't take on a large medieval cohort, or they are tapering off in anticipation of that. 

There were more than just 3 medieval tenure jobs this year - I have some friends on the job market. But the issue isn't really bound up in the fact that professors are retiring - its that departments have started to realize how FEW medieval jobs there are out there - and thus not to accept students who they will never be able to place in solid jobs.

In my program the last three years the department has accepted only 1 medieval student a year (and obviously, the one student they accept doesnt always choose to come here) - but just 5 years ago, they accepted way more than that and had 4 people who accepted (out of even more who were accepted) that year = in the last few years, this has been drastically cut down (not only here, but at a lot of places) because they've started to realize that there just aren't enough jobs for every phd program to be sending out 4-5 medievalists a year.

Edited by remenis

This is a big problem, not only in terms of acceptances but also with respect to figuring out where to apply. Lots of people retiring soon. 

Bah, Oregon rejected me today. It wasn't exactly a good fit with any of my POIs there, but living on the west coast would have been really nice. Only UC-Riverside and UC-San Diego left to go before I make my decision.

UMich's History and Anthro decisions were apparently supposed to go out this morning, but the email fubared.  So a decision has been reached.  On one hand, I'm fearful because the two people from the results page called in early (before they had crisis protocol in place) and got rejected.  On the other hand, we haven't seen any admits from the program at all.  (History and Anthro is separate from regular History in terms of admissions, from what I understand.)  I don't know what to think right now. :(

UMich's History and Anthro decisions were apparently supposed to go out this morning, but the email fubared.  So a decision has been reached.  On one hand, I'm fearful because the two people from the results page called in early (before they had crisis protocol in place) and got rejected.  On the other hand, we haven't seen any admits from the program at all.  (History and Anthro is separate from regular History in terms of admissions, from what I understand.)  I don't know what to think right now. :(

I was just rejected from this program. But there actually was an admit at the beginning of February on the forums (posted in the Anthropology section) so I was expecting it.

Edit: I just checked and it is posted in the results database. I'm not sure what you're searching with but I've noticed gradcafe is odd about how it searches. For example, Anthropology and History returns different results from Anthro and History. I would expect the first to be a subset of the second since "Anthropology" is a more strict search query than "Anthro"

Edited by Bactrian

Anyone want to claim the NYU acceptance that was just posted? I'm surprised to see a new admit this late in the game, I'm wondering if you were interviewed.

Person says the decision happened on Feb. 25th, around the same time as others, so maybe not a late breaking admit.

I received the official email from UConn's History department today and was invited to the Welcome Weekend. Says there will be a social function put on by graduate students "in my honor" (lol) as well as some roundtable discussions etc. I'm definitely going to attend, but I want to know what to expect and what is expected of me for these sorts of events. Any help?

I am wondering if someone has information about UIC? Or am I the only one who applied to UIC?

I also applied to UIC, but haven't heard anything. Although there seems to be a "Waitlisted" result posted from today.