Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

What is a GoFundMe?

It's a crowd sourcing fundraising site.  Essentially you set up a series of money goals for things you want/need, and people donate what they see fit. My friends did this for a honeymoon instead of a registry.  So they had people donate $50 for snorkeling or $25 for lunch.  They also had bigger gifts like the plane flight itself, which was covered by 6 people's wedding 'gifts' so to speak. 

Didn't you see the program names "History of Fish, Wildlife and Grizzly Bears", "History of Hot Spring Usage" :) There are at least 8-9 troll posts today

Haa, those must have rolled in later. Hope none of the less obvious ones throws a 2014 applicant next cycle...

Having a single acceptance but no funding offer yet is terrifying. I want to get excited but also don't want to get my hopes up...

This is exactly my situation, a single acceptance from Arizona State, but still waiting for the funding decisions. It is really terrifying, and this waiting period is killing.

By the way guys, do you have any idea about ASU? As I see, not too many people applied there from the forum, and as I was told they only admitted 5 students (the small number is a hope for funding). For sure I know it is not a top school, bu there are really good and famous professors in my field there, and I am a bit surprised to see that none of you applied to ASU.

And finally DGS unofficially informed me about fundings. At last, I have an offer with funding as well. It feels so good even if it is not from a top school. And I need your comments on Arizona State guys if you have anything to say me

And finally DGS unofficially informed me about fundings. At last, I have an offer with funding as well. It feels so good even if it is not from a top school. And I need your comments on Arizona State guys if you have anything to say me

Congrats! A current PhD colleague of mine went to ASU for her MA, I believe, but she was in Women's Studies. She loved her time there and misses it. I wish I had more info for you regarding the history department. 

Congrats! I considered ASU, but who I was mainly interested in working with is retiring. I guess my feelings on your situation would be:

- you mentioned there are experts in your field with whom you would be excited to work. I believe that speaks volumes, regardless of the presumed caliber of the program.

- with regard to your concern for it not being a "top" program, what do you want to do with your degree? Would you be happy staying in the Phoenix/Tempe area to teach at a local institution (or even a fancy prep or charter HS)?

- ASU has a decent placement record post-grad. Look confidently at those statistics! -- they must be doing something right to train their young historians!

- the campus is freakin beautiful. I mean, there's that, right? :)

All of that said, perhaps the DGS could put you in contact with some current grad students- I'm sure they'd be helpful in making an informed decision about the program. Best of luck!

has anyone gotten a straight up rejection from UC Davis yet? i'm 90% sure i was not accepted, and they already had an admitted students day (i think), but my app status has not changed and i haven't heard anything official. the status board has been woefully silent since a small burst like a month ago as well.

anyone know anything?

Congrats! A current PhD colleague of mine went to ASU for her MA, I believe, but she was in Women's Studies. She loved her time there and misses it. I wish I had more info for you regarding the history department. 

Congrats! I considered ASU, but who I was mainly interested in working with is retiring. I guess my feelings on your situation would be:

- you mentioned there are experts in your field with whom you would be excited to work. I believe that speaks volumes, regardless of the presumed caliber of the program.

- with regard to your concern for it not being a "top" program, what do you want to do with your degree? Would you be happy staying in the Phoenix/Tempe area to teach at a local institution (or even a fancy prep or charter HS)?

- ASU has a decent placement record post-grad. Look confidently at those statistics! -- they must be doing something right to train their young historians!

- the campus is freakin beautiful. I mean, there's that, right? :)

All of that said, perhaps the DGS could put you in contact with some current grad students- I'm sure they'd be helpful in making an informed decision about the program. Best of luck!

Thank you both. My geographical specialization is Russia/Eurasia, and my POI at ASU is one of the leading historians in the field who worked at Columbia for many years (who was also the head of Harriman Institute), and there are also a few more very good scholars. That was the main reason for me to apply. And I think as an international student with a low bachelor gpa and gre scores it is not easy to do better.

Actually I would like to return to Turkey after gaining the degree. I don't know the statistics you mentioned. Could you please post the link here?

I am still waiting for 4 schools, but I only prefer Ohio State to ASU among them, that means probably I am going to the desert for the next 4/5 years :)

Actually I would like to return to Turkey after gaining the degree. I don't know the statistics you mentioned. Could you please post the link here?

I am still waiting for 4 schools, but I only prefer Ohio State to ASU among them, that means probably I am going to the desert for the next 4/5 years :)

Of course!: https://shprs.clas.asu.edu/history_placement

They're not exactly statistics, but since you mentioned they have such a small class size, you can interpret from there. And as a Michigan girl, I can say with certainty that ASU is leagues better than OSU!!! BOO BUCKS!! :) (j/k - I know OSU is a great school!)

There has to be said for talking with current grad students! Also, I am ready to bow down to the graduate school secretary at Maryland for giving me hope. Whatever she wants, within reason, I would love to give her. (Okay, anything less than $10 because I'm skint.)

I was chatting with a TA of my Oral History class and she mentioned a way that I could get my accommodation paid for at Aber - being a British version of an RA (resident assistant). She said that since I've had experience with RAing in the past, they would probably take me, and they're always looking for people to fill the position. I would just have to yell at drunks to quiet down every so often and offer academic counseling/homesickness counseling as needed. Yep, I can do that!

Then, yesterday I had sent an email to Maryland which basically said, "I know that you won't know funding issues until your PhDs accept or decline offers, but what are my chances of getting an assistance-ship or a research assistance-ship?" She emailed me back quite promptly considering the time zone difference and said, "We have many current MA/HiLS students that are TA's so there is possibility." 

I don't want to over-read into that reply, but knowing there's a chance of funding at Maryland - eek! Assistance-ships are between $15-$19 a year and 10 credits a semester (and some during the summer) free. I love, love, love (I could go on infinitely) the DC area so having the chance to study there and get the connections I need within the museum/archive world...is making me so happy. But naturally, I shouldn't be counting my chickens before they hatch.

Hope everyone else is making their decisions, hearing back and just in as general of a good mood as I am right now!

has anyone gotten a straight up rejection from UC Davis yet? i'm 90% sure i was not accepted, and they already had an admitted students day (i think), but my app status has not changed and i haven't heard anything official. the status board has been woefully silent since a small burst like a month ago as well.

anyone know anything?

I emailed the department yesterday and got nothing in reply. If/when I hear back I'll let you know. Like you, I'm assuming rejection, but I want some official word.

So there have been a bunch of (T)OSU rejections early in the week (sorry, folks, seriously) but no concomitant wave of acceptances posted. So have those of us whose applications on the (T)OSU site still show as "In review" been effectively waitlisted?

anyone know anything?

Sent a PM.

FROM THE RESULTS BOARD:

UCSB History, PhD (F13) Accepted via E-mail on 8 Mar 2013No mention of funding. Still in shock. Thought I struck out this season.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Congrats! 

Email from your POI or DGS?

It's the end of the business day, so I'm assuming no more emails will be forthcoming until Monday. 

So there have been a bunch of (T)OSU rejections early in the week (sorry, folks, seriously) but no concomitant wave of acceptances posted. So have those of us whose applications on the (T)OSU site still show as "In review" been effectively waitlisted?

I'm wondering the same thing. How many of us are there in this situation?

I got a call from the DGS of the State University of New York yesterday. The DGS invited me to the PhD admit weekend early April on their sponsorship. I got a generous financial suppirt package including TAship and fellowship from them so I'm really considering going. Anybody thinking of joining next year PhD cohort at SUNY?

Yes, I noticed.  i'm not being snarky I'm pointing out that New York has 4 flagship state universities.  There is no such thing as the DGS at SUNY.  it's much like leave the "the" out of The Ohio State University.  If you look the way the SUNY's describe themselves these days they are walking away from that acronym for individual schools.

Edited by New England Nat