Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Don't take it personally when you dont' get into "safety schools".  A lot of places can only take the people they give offers to, and if someone turns them down they don't get to offer to someone else.  So many places will turn down strong applicants because they believe that they will be going elsehwere.

So what's the proper procedure of notifying schools that you accepted an offer at another? I wasn't going to say anything, but I got my final acceptance today through snail mail, and coincidentally got an email from a POI instructing me to apply for a fellowship. It was a strange email, however, as he made it sound that I had already accepted their offer and will be attending there. 

Often you will recieve a piece of paper with the formal offer that you can check decline with.  Otherwise, call or email the graduate administrator at the department and tell them (politely) that you will be declining their offer.  Than you should email each PoI that you've had direct contact with and tell them again politely that you will be declining.  Remember this is your first professional act.  You may still need these people later.

Just got my official rejection from UC Davis. After having come to grips with not getting in there, they took so long to reject me that I started to have hope again, so this feels a little worse than my last couple rejections. The letter listed my letters of recommendation as not being competitive enough, which was a bit of a shock as all my writers seemed enthusiastic about recommending me, AND the DGS and I had an email exchange where he complimented the quality of my app. So I don't really know what to think right now!

It's possible that your recommending professors weren't "competitive," either within your field or within the discipline as a whole.

Yeah I thought that might have been the case too, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that. They're all established historians with good CVs. Anyway, I'm over it. Their loss, right?

It's possible that your recommending professors weren't "competitive," either within your field or within the discipline as a whole.

is it possible to derail a 100+ page thread? My instinct is "no," but I apologize if I'm doing so anyway.

How important is the "prestige" of the professor writing the letter?

Yeah I thought that might have been the case too, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that. They're all established historians with good CVs. Anyway, I'm over it. Their loss, right?

Absolutely!

is it possible to derail a 100+ page thread? My instinct is "no," but I apologize if I'm doing so anyway.

It's all important XD, though I'm sure that different departments weigh things differently.

It's important to get at least one (prefereably three) really great letter from a professor who knows you and your work really well. It certainly helps if that person is famous or is a personal friend of the people in your field at the department you are applying to. But don't overestimate the importance of prestige. A letter from a famous person who barely knows you and who writes a bland, formulaic and disinterested letter will hurt you a lot more than that person's fame will help you.

The fact is that even if this person says they'll write you a positive letter, if the professor doesn't know you and your interests well, they just won't have that much of value to say and that will look bad on the application.

Additionally, often personal relationships matter a lot more than straight prestige. Professors often repsond well to letters from other professors who they know, respect and trust, regardless of how famous that person is.

Guys,

I have just learnt that I recieve a 3-year funding package from Santa Barbara. However, I do not know what "3-year" means, in other words what will happer after 3 years. Will I run out of money for the coming years? Could you please enlighten me about this "3-year funding package"?

Edited by mvolkan

Guys,

I have just learnt that I recieve a 3-year funding package from Santa Barbara. However, I do not know what "3-year" means, in other words what will happer after 3 years. Will I run out of money for the coming years? Could you please enlighten me about this "3-year funding package"?

From what I understand, you will need to explore additional forms of funding opportunities, both internal and external from the department. They may still give you the option to TA after the end of your third year, though these slots for TAing may be competitive. I suggest contacting the DGS and ask how students support themselves after their third year. Also, try to get in touch with current grad students and ask them about their experiences in obtaining additional funding.

Guys,

Have you by any chance heard anything from UMass yet?

Guys, I have just learnt that I recieve a 3-year funding package from Santa Barbara. However, I do not know what "3-year" means, in other words what will happer after 3 years. Will I run out of money for the coming years? Could you please enlighten me about this "3-year funding package"?
When you are approaching comps, you will start applying for internal and external sources of funding for your first year of your dissertation research, and then you apply again for the second year. If you don't receive enough $ you may have to augment it by teaching at your university or by being an adjunct at a local college or junior college. [At least this is what I have read or heard.]

Is anyone planning on turning down a UVA acceptance? Or has already? Or knows someone who is going to? I am a waitlisted and desperate soul.

Also: Anyone still waiting for word from Columbia (phd)? I have logged in repeatedly and there is still no change to my application. I see they accepted and rejected people already, but that was the case with UVA until I finally got a waitlisted notification earlier this month.

I'm still waiting to hear about funding. I was accepted to their MA program a few weeks ago. I e-mailed the department and they pretty much stonewalled saying they will have no idea about funding for a few weeks and it will probably extend past April 15. Personally, I am not holding my breath.

After careful analysis of the board through past years :P (yes, I actually did this) and UCSB's calendar, it looks like decisions should go out by this Thursday. According to the board postings there haven't ever been decisions past March 23 - and since they are in the midst of finals, their quarter ending on March 22, with an administrative holiday on the 23rd, I would think they would get decisions out before they go on break. 

That's my guess - but because I think I figured this out, they'll probably change it up. Let's hope they don't and that I'm right!

I'm super surprised that I haven't heard anything from them, since I had an interview in the middle of January.  I've already accepted an offer elsewhere, but, nevertheless, I'm a bit nonplussed from their lack of communication (positive or negative).

Thank you all guys. I am going to ask for the details of course, but I asked immediately once I recieved the e-mail for my curiosity.

Actually I am still waiting on UMass, on Ohio State as well. But on UMass website it is written  "notification of denial of admission will nor appear on this web site for 21 days, thus allowing these decisions to first reach the applicant by mail.". Hence I assume it is not good news for us who haven't heard anything yet.

I emailed the grad admissions contact at UCSB yesterday. She replied that they are still making decisions. She said acceptances should come in the mail, while rejections will be from the DGS over email.

Also, I received my rejection letter from Oxford yesterday and an acceptance to Queen Mary (denied scholarship - boo) today.

I'm basically waiting for the scholarship/funding decisions of Sussex, Nottingham, and St Andrews.

P.S. I'm out of town and on my iPhone so I can't figure out how to change my signature below :(

I am still waiting on UIC, but as I far as I know few people have heard. I emailed the DGS during the first week of march, and she said they were still in the middle of the process. When is it appropriate to ask again? I really am getting worried as I am going to have to commit to another offer fairly soon.

I am still waiting on UIC, but as I far as I know few people have heard. I emailed the DGS during the first week of march, and she said they were still in the middle of the process. When is it appropriate to ask again? I really am getting worried as I am going to have to commit to another offer fairly soon.
I'm in the same boat. I emailed her about a week and a half ago and she seemed angry at me asking, but I got the same story. She will let me know when they are done. I would advise not emailing her again.

Finally got my funding from USC, so I'm feeling a lot better. :D Waitlist land still sucks though. Anybody know what the funding is like at UMichigan now?