Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

The email says "A decision has been made on your application. Please log-in to view the decision." Then provides me a link to my application log-in. I log-in and there is nothing new to view, just a review of my submitted application. I go to the check your application link within my application and it says my status is "submitted." I don't know how I could be missing anything here.

I'd email the DGS at the university or call the grad office. Sounds like a link is out of whack.  :mellow:

Northwestern had over three dozen applicants for medieval history and one slot.  I feel better now.

I REALLY feel good that my POI at my acceptance school is really, really eager for me to come and is sending me stuff for my thesis.  Maybe I should just chuck the rest of the apps and just start planning "how" rather than "if."  Still waiting on 5 schools, however. 

Edited by GuitarSlayer

I'd email the DGS at the university or call the grad office. Sounds like a link is out of whack.  :mellow:

SWEET.

Well, I emailed and called (no one answered) so i guess it's another day of waiting. This will be really disappointing if it's a rejection.

Is anyone else gathering that the cohort sizes are smaller than in previous years? I've heard that from a couple schools. Georgetown, for instance, admitted 9 PhD students.

They are. My cohort is smaller than 10, the previous year's cohort was 15. In my program they have been aiming for cohorts of about 10 now... there was a cohort of 18 at one point.

My program has reduced the number of admits as well with hopes of having a smaller class.  That... remains to be seen. :unsure: 

So this is probably not exactly the right place for this question, but with respect to Chicago's MAPSS, what exactly is the MA in? Do you have a MA in History, or do you have a MA in Social Science (History)? I can't find an answer to this anywhere.

So this is probably not exactly the right place for this question, but with respect to Chicago's MAPSS, what exactly is the MA in? Do you have a MA in History, or do you have a MA in Social Science (History)? I can't find an answer to this anywhere.

I've seen it on CVs solely as "Master of Arts in (the) Social Sciences".

Czesc is right - it is what MAPSS stands for:

Master of Arts in Social Sciences. Not History.

The point of MAPSS is that you structure your own, entirely individualized curriculum within any branch of the social sciences. You absolutely have a concentration in a specific discipline, and on your CV you represent it however you want to - your transcript speaks for itself. Students are grouped by their chosen disciplines and are assigned to advisors who are in the final stages of their dissertations or are post-docs in their discipline. The program website actually has some very detailed information about the structure of the program, alumni PhD and job placement rates, etc. You should do some poking around.

The point of MAPSS is that you structure your own, entirely individualized curriculum within any branch of the social sciences. You absolutely have a concentration in a specific discipline, and on your CV you represent it however you want to - your transcript speaks for itself. Students are grouped by their chosen disciplines and are assigned to advisors who are in the final stages of their dissertations or are post-docs in their discipline. The program website actually has some very detailed information about the structure of the program, alumni PhD and job placement rates, etc. You should do some poking around.

Yeah, I already found that stuff, but thanks! There's just nowhere where they listed the specific degree name. Thanks for the info, all!

After being transferred 5 different times, I got the good news that UConn accepted me for their MA program. The POI there is really great and I hope I can attend. 

Congrats, History Time!!

After being transferred 5 different times, I got the good news that UConn accepted me for their MA program. The POI there is really great and I hope I can attend. 

Yay! I knew there would be good news for you! Congratulations!  :)

Congrats! Proof that no news (or at least weird status update issues) can be good news.

Edited by czesc

hey guys, i just got an unofficial e-mail from the DGS at Temple telling me i was accepted! this is a pretty good feeling, i gotta say

Congrats! :D